PDA

View Full Version : STEAM CLEAN YOUR ENGINE BAY

clone2020
07-28-2003, 01:40 AM
To "STEAM" or not to "STEAM"?

Some say YES and some say NO WAY!!!

Everyone likes a clean engine that looks like it just drove off the lot but what can steam do to your engine components?

Also, I read somewhere that it may be illegal. (contaminants???)

Can steam cleaning your engine void warranty?

check out this article from bmwworld.com
http://www.bmwworld.com/repairs/detailing/engine.htm ('http://www.bmwworld.com/repairs/detailing/engine.htm')

What do you think?

-Mike.

Fishboy55
07-28-2003, 05:52 AM
I agree with Beemer. There should be no reason to steam clean your motor as long as there is Simple Green and a low pressure garden hose available. Just cover your air filter with a plastic bag if you have a cone filter. I just leave my hood open and let the engine air dry for a couple hours while I'm cleaning the rest of the car.

ChromeGalant
07-28-2003, 07:24 AM
I never have.. I try not to let water get in there... too much that you can miss drying.. I usually clean the engine by hand every time I wash the car..been doing it since I got the car.. now I DO reccomend it if you have a filthy engine bay..

pinoyesv6
07-28-2003, 08:37 AM
my dealer steam cleans engines. dunno about their process. but yea they told me one day that my engine was filthy and that they steamed cleaned it. tried to charge me 30 dollars for it too. i said i wouldn't pay since i didn't ask for it and it wasn't needed and well..they didn't steam clean my engine after all.

ChromeGalant
07-28-2003, 11:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>i said i wouldn't pay since i didn't ask for it </div>

Hell yeah.. lol!

Thats how you do it.. I didnt ASK for no damn FRIES with that!!

clone2020
07-28-2003, 12:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>I agree with Beemer. There should be no reason to steam clean your motor as long as there is Simple Green and a low pressure garden hose available. Just cover your air filter with a plastic bag if you have a cone filter. I just leave my hood open and let the engine air dry for a couple hours while I'm cleaning the rest of the car.</div>

Off the topic but did you just sell your tail lights on ebay?

clone2020
07-28-2003, 12:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChromeGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>I never have.. I try not to let water get in there... too much that you can miss drying.. I usually clean the engine by hand every time I wash the car..been doing it since I got the car.. now I DO reccomend it if you have a filthy engine bay..</div>

Yeah, I clean my engine bay by hand too.

gost2002es
07-28-2003, 01:10 PM
i clean my engine with a spray bottle and warm water with dish detergent, wipe with a cloth, looks brand new,

Fishboy55
07-28-2003, 02:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clone2020)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>I agree with Beemer. There should be no reason to steam clean your motor as long as there is Simple Green and a low pressure garden hose available. Just cover your air filter with a plastic bag if you have a cone filter. I just leave my hood open and let the engine air dry for a couple hours while I'm cleaning the rest of the car.</div>

Off the topic but did you just sell your tail lights on ebay?</div>

Yep, I sure did. Waiting for payment from the buyer. Tried to sell my GTZ springs, but no luck.

bam462
07-28-2003, 05:00 PM
yea simple green works better then any other degreaser out there and is alot cheeper

escoson
07-28-2003, 05:06 PM
i clean my shit every sunday so i just use simple green andthe hose

Kalamidad
07-28-2003, 06:54 PM
Hand job every time. MY car loves it.

BXNYMitsu01
07-28-2003, 08:33 PM
Hand job every time. MY car loves it.

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

clone2020
07-29-2003, 05:02 PM
I'll stick with cleaning every piece by hand.

If I was cleaning 10-20 cars a day I'd probably steam them.

-Mike.

smokinLV
07-29-2003, 07:14 PM
ya i needed this topic bad, now i know what to clean my engine with