PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers and whatnot..

2True
09-04-2002, 01:47 AM
I am posting this in cutomizing because it's more about form rather than function. We are speaking straight-through mufflers here, no exceptions (no MagnaFlow or Maxflow here, OK?)

I got a cat-back exhaust about 2 months ago, on the end is a 3A Racing Dual tip muffler. It is deep and throaty, but sometimes tooooo loud. THat I don't mind as much, what I am starting to hate is it's look. Each outlet is 3" round, they look like they could each be a damn Coke can. Not to mention that equals a 6" outlet, Overkill anyone?
I have been looking and looking for a dual 2" or 2 1/2" outlet oval muffler. But everything looks to be 3". THe other option is the 4" single tip and WOW is that big, just not too hip on those. 3" would be OK i guess though..

WTF can I do now, I want the sound and the performance but the look is just fuggely. I saw this Remus muffler I was liking but I can't find a site that sells Remus, where are they? I'll try and find a pic of it.

I am just looking for ideas and opinions... cause we all know this board is full of both :wink:

TJC
09-04-2002, 02:00 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2True)</div><div class='quotemain'>I am posting this in cutomizing because it's more about form rather than function. We are speaking straight-through mufflers here, no exceptions (no MagnaFlow or Maxflow here, OK?)

I got a cat-back exhaust about 2 months ago, on the end is a 3A Racing Dual tip muffler. It is deep and throaty, but sometimes tooooo loud. THat I don't mind as much, what I am starting to hate is it's look. Each outlet is 3" round, they look like they could each be a damn Coke can. Not to mention that equals a 6" outlet, Overkill anyone? Â*
I have been looking and looking for a dual 2" or 2 1/2" outlet oval muffler. But everything looks to be 3". THe other option is the 4" single tip and WOW is that big, just not too hip on those. Â*3" would be OK i guess though..

WTF can I do now, I want the sound and the performance but the look is just fuggely. I saw this Remus muffler I was liking but I can't find a site that sells Remus, where are they? I'll try and find a pic of it.

I am just looking for ideas and opinions... cause we all know this board is full of both Â*:wink:</div>

Do you have a 4cyl or 6? If your catback doesn't have a built in resonator, that might be an option to quiet it down. anyway, 2 3" tips is quite and opening and probably doesn't leave too much for the muffler to tone down, lol. I say go with what ever your catback pipe size is for the inlet and doesn't matter what size tip you want so get that in the size you want be it 3" or 3.5".

There are lots of straight through design mufflers to choose from. FYI, Magnaflow makes lots of different kinds of mufflers and the Race Series does not come with a tuning pipe inside so that is a straight through muffler. Dynomax is a baffle muffler and is not a straight through muffler.

2True
09-04-2002, 02:19 AM
4cyl, usdm 7g.

I was just on this site and learned my tips are 3.5" not 3" ..... that's 7" !! LOL

I'm just frustrated ya know, looking to bounce it off some people that might actually have some insight and good ideas, unlike my buddies with their civics, integras and saturns...... yes saturn. :roll:

MitsuMan
09-04-2002, 07:16 AM
why bother with a muffler https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Kain
09-04-2002, 07:47 AM
Hmm, look around on Magnaflow's website. I believe all their mufflers are straight through (A friend of mine put one on his RSX and I could easily look straight through it, no obstructions) But Magnaflow has a very large selection. Just find one you want, and have the muffler shop order it for you. (for some reason, Magnaflow does not seem to sell their mufflers directly to the consumer) They've probably got something that'll suit your needs.

Gir
09-04-2002, 09:38 AM
5zigen...

nuff said.

seth98esT
09-04-2002, 10:43 AM
I have a Magnaflow single tip 4"...4" is pretty big, but its not huge. Ive seen some massive ones on civics and what not.

Its got a nice deep tone and it is straight through. They also have duel tip mufflers on their site

RRE Magnaflow ('http://www.roadraceengineering.com/3g/magnaflow.htm')

2True
09-04-2002, 06:14 PM
I'm liking this one...
http://www.madhatterautocenter.com/Magnaflow/Camaro/03sm14833.gif

But I'm not sure what this means...
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Magnaflow Inc.)</div><div class='quotemain'>2.25" Inlet, 2.75"x2.5"" Diam. Tips Single Wall Square Angle Rolled 7" Length </div>

Wouldn't it just be 2.75"x2" :?

How do these muffler sound?

Kain
09-04-2002, 06:59 PM
They're ovals, so they give one measurement for width and one for height. For sound, I believe RRE has some sound clips on thier site somewhere. It's an Eclipse, but the sound should be similar. Assuming you leave the rest of the exhaust alone, it just gets lower and louder at higher rpm but is still tolerable at idle (usually sounds very similar to stock) and in traffic.

brandon
09-13-2002, 03:21 PM
If you're looking for a Remus, you might want to contact dukeplaya, he has one on his G and it looks great, not sure where he got it from though.

All I know is the Remus is quite pricey.

evil-G-nius
09-13-2002, 06:50 PM
I bought that remus from dukeplay. I had one before and I loved it. When mine wore out I bought the one he had. I tell you the money is well spent on that muffler. You can get several different tip choices and they even have carbon fiber ones. Most speed shops have brochures, check em out

2True
09-13-2002, 07:17 PM
Any websites? I don't have a "speedshop" here in Fairbanks... :cry:

pinoyesv6
09-15-2002, 04:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2True)</div><div class='quotemain'>Any websites? I don't have a "speedshop" here in Fairbanks... Â*:cry:</div>

just do a search on google. you are likely to find many dealers that have them. some have sound clips some have good deals etc etc.