PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket CAI vs STOCK

clone2020
07-28-2003, 06:11 PM
Besides looking cool. Have any of you had little or no change in performance? I know that companies/people claim 5-40HP gains but I want to know your experiences with CAI on non-turbo cars.

I'm sure everyone has seen the DYNO charts on their CAI but can you feel the difference? If so, when and where? low end? 0-60? high speeds? inclines? low RPMs? high RPMs?

I switched back to stock for a week to see the performance during light and heavy acceleration/driving.

The main difference that I noticed (one day so far) was that the acceleration was different. *obvious*

STOCK (ACCEL) = felt spongy (plugged throttle) but had smoother acceleration. (ugly & kosher to the dealership)
CAI (ACCEL) = rev higher & faster. (cool looking & more responsive)

CAI @ 100mph = felt the engine
STOCK @ 100mph = more stable/easier ride

I think it's been mentioned here before but what about just removing the lower piece from the stock intake? The part that bolts under the left frame? You are still protected because the air has to pass through the filter from the front scoop and the lower piece too before it hits the MAS.

Any input?

----------------------------------------------------------
AFTER 3-4 weeks of driving with the stock intake...
GET THE AFTERMARKET CAI!!! DON'T ASK!!! JUST GET IT!!!

*there's no place like home...there's no place like home*

-Mike.

galantv600
07-28-2003, 07:26 PM
well what i noticed on mine... i would punch it when it was stock and it would sometimes hit 6000 revs in first and so on... now it hits 6000 in every gear!! and souds a lot nicer!! id say its improved my perfomance by a lot

Lazarus
07-28-2003, 07:45 PM
I wanna sat the average gains with a CAI is about 4-5whp

RedGalant2k1
07-28-2003, 08:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'>I wanna sat the average gains with a CAI is about 4-5whp</div>

i must agree with that...

its more responsive but nothing more...at least thats what it seemed to me.

However i did run at Milan dragway when i was all stock and after i installed the CAI.

Here were my times:

18.2 @76mph (Before) Tires @ 32psi(F) 32psiĀ®

17.7 @79mph (After) Tires @ 27psi(F) 36psiĀ®

Now just remember to alot for different conditions but as best i can remember it was pretty close to the same conditions, but also take into account the difference in tire pressure, raising the rear lets the back tires roll easier. Dropping the fronts lets them grab traction better (i.e. more tire contacts the ground). Taking the change in Psi of the tires out of the equation it would be safe to say you will at most see a .2-.3 sec difference 'if that'.

pinoyesv6
07-28-2003, 10:04 PM
i have a short ram. but yea i feel most of my power in the low end and the mid range. not much on the high end.

the numbers every1 is shooting out is looks jsut about right to me. maybe double the numbers to get the power going to your ass dyno. that intake sounds adds a few more horses going to the buttox area.

Messiah
07-28-2003, 10:29 PM
i have a short ram. but yea i feel most of my power in the low end and the mid range. not much on the high end.

Really?!? I felt like I lost low-end torque but gained on the top end, when my intalled my CAI.

clone2020
07-28-2003, 11:04 PM
Today when I was merging onto the freeway, I noticed a definite decrease in response (not performance) without the CAI. It felt like my car didn't want to do anything (45-60mph). It was like, "I'm going, don't push me".

Khopari
07-28-2003, 11:37 PM

Really?!? I felt like I lost low-end torque but gained on the top end, when my intalled my CAI.

umm same here i feel the power at low RPM.

krazienluv10
07-29-2003, 12:49 AM

i agrree also, i felt it only at least above 3k not below

Messiah
07-29-2003, 03:13 AM

umm same here i feel the power at low RPM.

Yo Kho....

that's the opposite of what I said :?

cdaw2001ES
07-29-2003, 03:29 AM
i lost my low end when I changed the header/ cat back, the intake seems to be a good all around (small) boost.

Now 2.5 to 5.5K is my sweet spot, sorta sloping with 3.5 to 4.5 being the ultimate umph. 700 to 1400 is not as good as it was stock, but the upper range makes up for it.
If I floor it at just the right time, that it drops to 1st or 2nd and lands right in that zone(4k ish), I chirp.

BigJack
07-29-2003, 08:52 AM
The only thing I really noticed is an increase in noise. It does not sound good at all. The only positive thing I can say about the CAI I got is that it does look cool! I may go back to the stock air box. As far a performance goes. I don't feel a difference at all. :roll:

peanotation
07-29-2003, 08:59 AM
with my cai, for my 7G, i actually felt a decrease in low end power, but my high RPM power made up for the loss of low end, and then some. sounds awesome and runs awesome.

clone2020
08-26-2003, 02:46 AM
AFTER 3-4 weeks of driving with the stock intake...

GET THE AFTERMARKET CAI!!! DON'T ASK!!! JUST GET IT!!!

*there's no place like home...there's no place like home*

-Mike.