PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Dash Kit

MilitaryMind03
07-29-2003, 06:50 AM
Anyone have any tips as to ' How To ?'

Fishboy55
07-29-2003, 07:42 AM
It's pretty straight forward if you buy a good kit from a reputable manufacturer. I recommend AlkaPlus. That's where I got mine.

1) Remove each piece of trim that the overlay is going to be placed on.
2) Clean each one thoroughly with some 91% isopropyl alcohol
3) Apply the activator (suppied with the kit) to the piece you're covering. Apply sparingly...this stuff is like instant cement
4) Peel the backing from the trim piece and apply it to the dash piece. press gently but make sure it covers and is aligned properly.
5) Replace the trim piece in your dash

The kit will come with directions and pictures. The one thing to be careful of is once you apply the activator and begin to put the trim piece on, make sure it's aligned correctly, as it will be near impossible to move it once the activator touches the 3M tape. Take your time and be precise and you'll wind up with a good looking kit.

pinoyesv6
07-29-2003, 09:11 AM
since you are having a aluminum kit, you might wanna see how the alluminum contrasts over your existing trim. like putting the metal over your wood trim won't look right. so check that out, you might have to paint your oem trim pieces so they match better or something.

Fishboy55
07-29-2003, 09:13 AM
since you are having a aluminum kit, you might wanna see how the alluminum contrasts over your existing trim. like putting the metal over your wood trim won't look right. so check that out, you might have to paint your oem trim pieces so they match better or something.
True, but that would only apply to the radio trim, shifter trim and door trim. The other twenty or so pieces that come with the dash kit will be fine.

VIO
07-29-2003, 10:37 AM
doesn't the aluminum completely cover the existing trim?

GaLaNtKeV99
07-29-2003, 10:40 AM
doesn't the aluminum completely cover the existing trim?

Thats wat i thought :?

ChromeGalant
07-29-2003, 10:44 AM
Nope..
The are just overlays..
Check out my sounddomain page.. I have a brushed aluminum kit on.. but I have Titanium interior..