PDA

View Full Version : COILOVERS??

SILVERES
09-04-2002, 04:21 PM
whats up people im in the process of hookin up my car im decidiing on the suspension now coilovers i like but confused how much r they i heard there r alot of kits out websites and names would help thnx

SILVERES
09-04-2002, 04:23 PM
o yea i will still b ridin on my stock 16's for now is that bad what would i have to get shocks struts.........

rumpl_forskin
09-05-2002, 01:09 PM
Hey man ..... Go to massivemotorsports.com and check out the OBX Gravity Control coilovers. They have them on sale right now for $174, normally $280. This is what I have and they are sweet. Hope this helps ya out....... :thumbsup:

RedGalant2k1
09-05-2002, 01:14 PM
check ebay for the OBX Gravity Coilovers as well, they are listed at $140 and no ones bid yet.

newsobe
09-05-2002, 01:22 PM
yeah i wanted to get those but ppl say that they suck. obviously there is some one with them i thought no one has em ? how is the feel ? how much did u pay for installtion ? yeah they are like $135 actually on ebay.

pinoyesv6
09-05-2002, 01:23 PM
the obx are pretty good i heard. low price too. uhm ground control coilovers are good too, they utilize eibach coils, 400 dollars thought. uhm if u want to get a lil bit more fancy, intrax and JIC make full coilover kits for the eclipse that will fit the galant. look at spedning 1-2k for those kits. tein is also developing a full coilover kit for the galant too, estimated price is around 1k.

Galant 2NR
09-05-2002, 07:09 PM
Remember on Coil-Overs (like most other autoparts) you get what you pay for. Ground Control are quality parts that have been around a long time. OBX are made in Taiwan and have only been out a short time. The other thing with OBX coil-overs is your car may not handle as well as with good normal lowering springs as the OBX are generic in their spring pressure so you are using the same springs as a lite little Honda CRX in your big ol' Galant. This can cause the car to be excessivily bouncy due to the springs being cranked up to hold the weight of the car. Unless you are going to pound your car for shows, go with standard springs like Eibach, Gold-line, Etc. If you are going to auto-x your ride or want the ultimate handling go with true threaded body coil-overs.
Just my 2 cents.

Kingman
09-05-2002, 08:17 PM
I have OBX coilovers and think very highly of them. When set next to a set of Ground Control's you can't tell the difference except for the color of the spring coating. They even have the same locking method.

I would recomend them. Though if you have the cash go for the Tein's. I am swapping my obx for Teins for a better range of total adjustment in the winter or spring. The only reason I am doing this though is for total performance.

2002GALANTes
09-10-2002, 02:15 PM
I know this has been said probably a million times before but i wanna get the obx coilovers, would i get the ones for the 00+ eclipse. Like i said this has been asked before but for peace of mind i just wanna hear the answer again. Thanks in advance.

2002GALANTes
09-10-2002, 02:19 PM
Oh and would the progress springs be a better ride or would the obx coilovers be better?

Kingman
09-10-2002, 08:12 PM
yes obx coilovers for a 00+ eclipse. Thats the route.

Ed
09-10-2002, 08:32 PM
The OBX are a good buy...the ride is nice and they are easy to adjust....I say go for OBX.....

efiLnikcuFeciN
09-11-2002, 12:17 AM
Mine is on the way https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif Btw Ed, Kingman what color of the coilover did u guys get ?? i was asking for a maroon 1, dont know if they have it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif
did u guys installed u'reself or u pay somebody to install it ??

and also does anybody have tutorials to change the coilover ??

Kingman
09-11-2002, 07:59 AM
I did mine with the help of a friend, if you got any questions ask away. I will help as much as I can

BTW ed the longer sleeves go in the back.

Ken
09-11-2002, 12:30 PM
do the kyb agxs fit on the obx coilovers ? and also what color coating do you guys have ? im thinking of changing my eibachs to coilovers but don't want no baby blue springs on my wheels.

Kingman
09-11-2002, 02:57 PM
Mine are maroon coated. With black sleeves and a silver adjuster.

Ed
09-11-2002, 05:01 PM
Mine too.....maroon and black. But Kingman I think both of my sleeves are the same size. I put the longer spring in the back as well, the ride is fine to me....but if its wrong I need to switch them....I installed them myself with help from a friend....you'll need it. Its a two man job. Any questions just ask....

SILVERES
09-11-2002, 07:55 PM
thnx people for the help but how much would the whole kit cost inclluding everything

Kingman
09-11-2002, 07:57 PM
longer spring is in the front.

They are for an eclipse so to know for sure you have to compare them to an eclipse. The sleeve without the aluminum retainer inside will not slide over the front shock. This is the one with the short spring.

The one with retainer inside. Only one end will slide over the eclipse shock. The tube actually rests on this retainer. This has the longer spring.

jacuZZi
09-12-2002, 07:15 PM
Might need a spring compressor to do it, otherwise the stock spring will pop out when u take it off. :wink:

Kingman
09-12-2002, 07:57 PM
It wasn't bad, I held one side with my foot and one side against the tire, once you pull it out mine weren't under much pressure.

neenjagtz
09-12-2002, 09:14 PM
I have always been confued about coilovers. If OBX has a set of coils for less than a set of lowering springs, why would anyone get anything else? And for that matter, why are a set of Tein's so much more? Are coilovers just a direct replacement for the stock shock? Do I need to buy anything in addition?

efiLnikcuFeciN
09-12-2002, 09:44 PM
Price = Quality man, sometimes the higher the price the better u get or can i say, u get what u pay for https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif but it seems that OBX have a good quality and a good price https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

pinoyesv6
09-12-2002, 09:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(neenjagtz)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have always been confued about coilovers. Â*If OBX has a set of coils for less than a set of lowering springs, why would anyone get anything else? Â*And for that matter, why are a set of Tein's so much more? Â*Are coilovers just a direct replacement for the stock shock? Â*Do I need to buy anything in addition?</div>

first of all, the OBX coilovers are also known as adjustable springs. as for the price, well, OBX is more of a generic name, they don't specialize in just suspensions. kinda like going to the grocery store. the store brand peas are gonna be cheaper than the name brand peas. they're both peas but you don't pay for the brand name. as for quality, with some generic part brands the quality sucks. and many of obx products sucks but as of now, these coils are one of very few quality parts that obx has.

do u need any more parts for the obx install. not really many of the parts are optional like a camber kit aftermarket stuts and shocks. it all depends how your car reacts to the drop u place on it.

as for the tiens well y are they so expensive. well not only do they replace the springs struts shocks and all that good stuff, it also is adjustable so u can fine tune not only the height but also the ride quality etc etc. its like comparing your simple 4 function calculator to lets say one of those 200 dollar graphing ones...

jomin1016
09-12-2002, 10:41 PM
ok guys.... I'm guessing when you're talkin bout the obx coilovers, you're talkin bout the one's on ebay....? like these - -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ('http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll')?
ViewItem&item=1858216634&rd=1

as what I can gather from Kingman, the ones for a 2000 eclipse will fit...however, this is assuming I'm looking at the right coils....I emailed massive motor sports and "Mike" replied saying that they don't fit :shock: ...now, not that I'm doubting Kingman or anyone else on this board, cuz I love u guys, but somebody please help me and the rest of our unknowledgeable people out here with these coilovers.....cuz I wanna drop my car and I'm lookin to get these things this week, but I just don't want to buy 'em and have these guys sayin :Fuckyou: they don't fit...[/url]

efiLnikcuFeciN
09-13-2002, 12:21 AM
These ppl, like Kingman and Ed, they have it INSTALLED on their 8G Galant, so there is no doubt that it wont fit, and the spring is for 2000+ Eclipse, NOT the turbo ( 94-99).

jomin1016
09-13-2002, 01:22 AM
well why would this :jester: FOOL :jester: say that they don't fit my car? - is he that dumb that he's gonna cost his company the cost of one set, plus whoever else is on this board and was gonna order them?

djScript
09-13-2002, 09:09 AM
click here --> http://www.obxracingsports.com/performance...D=4&subCat2ID=2 ('http://www.obxracingsports.com/performance.cfm?catid=3&subCatID=4&subCat2ID=2')

scroll down and you'll see galant & eclipse have the same part number.

Kingman
09-13-2002, 09:51 AM
They are for the 00+ eclipse.

Several people have bought and installed them, most companies make the product for the eclipse never realizing that they fit both platforms as well as the 2g stratus.

So yes those are what you want. But the link is dead. The guy at massive said they won't fit my car either. but they are on. and work well.

pinoyesv6
09-13-2002, 12:47 PM
has anyone tried the OBX SPEC-R ACTIVE RACING SUSPENSION DAMPER KITS for the 3g eclipse. or even considered it. i know it ain't no tein or JIC kit but i bet if u look around u can find it hella cheap. just wonder how they would compare...hell if the regular coilovers are str8 wonder how the damper kits would be

Ken
09-15-2002, 03:25 AM
anyone know when the tein's are coming out ? i emailed them couple of dayz ago and still no reply, thanks

Kingman
09-16-2002, 11:07 AM
Have not tried them, what price have you seen them for.