PDA

View Full Version : putt...putt...putt!!

Tiptronic
08-03-2003, 10:32 PM
okay i had decided to take the plastic pice that sits under the grill mesh from off my evo hood. well today there was a good amount of rain. anyway, i was leaving work, and started my car. it idled fine for like2 minutes, but as soon as i took off, it statred bucking, and i mean badly. i was able to drive only about 300 meters, and then the car shut off. my guess was that the filter got wet and when i started the car it sucked water into the throttle body. when i checked the filter, it was dry as a bone, especially since i have the heat shield covering it . anyway, i try to start the car after about ten minutes, and it just gurgles like it wants to die. i press the gas, and i get no compression what so ever (the car is on, but wont rev). i turn it off, and wait another ten minutes. this time, i turn the car on, and after a few seconds its starts to idle normal, it revs normal, and sounds overall normal. only thing is now the check engine light is on. even with the shield on there, and the fact that the filter was dry, i think it may have sucked it some water. other than that, i have no clue what happened. i got it home fine, but even now at 10:30, the check engine light is still on

in the event i did get some water in the intake, how long will it take for it to cycle through the whole system and be burned off or whatever? and, if the car seems to be running fine other than the check light, should i really bother with taking it to the dealer so they can charge me $75/hour to diagnose it?

VegasMatt
08-03-2003, 10:36 PM
First get yourself a bypass valve.

2nd, get the light checked out at autozone, I would be interested what the code is first before telling you what to do.

I have my vent taken off also so i can get the heat from the blower out of the engine bay. This week it rained bad but I had no problems whatsoever.

pinoyesv6
08-03-2003, 10:39 PM
hows your MAS? just curious. maybe something happened there.

but yea check that code thats coming up. it might lead you onto where to look. maybe take the intake off to get any water taht might be in there out.

Auto-9
08-03-2003, 11:09 PM
You may also want to check the spark related items. That's one of the reasons Magnacore refuses to take blame for wire failures (because they believe their products are 100% flawless)...it's usually due to wet or condensed connections.

Faction
08-03-2003, 11:18 PM
is autozone free matt?

Fishboy55
08-04-2003, 06:11 AM
is autozone free matt?
Yea Autozone is free but their code listings are generic, so if you have something particular to Mitsu, the Autozone machine may give you the wrong diagnosis for the code. Just discovered that this weekend (Thanks Mante)

Tiptronic
08-08-2003, 01:50 PM
i finally got around to going to autozone to get the code pulled from the car. the code came back:

[i]<span style='color:red'>P0300-Random multiple cylinder misfire detected</span>

for the experts, how serious is this, or can i troubleshoot this myself.

the guy at the zone said that i should be looking at replacing the plugs and wires, and maybe looking at the coil packs themselves for corosion

any other advice is greatly appreciated, cause i would hate to spend big money, when i can do it myself after buying a few parts

Xavier22
08-08-2003, 02:09 PM
thats what i had when my ses light came on - -cylinder misfire - the dealer replaced the plugs and wires and that was that - problem solved!!! but you got multiple cylinder misfiring!!! dont know -get more input on this

Fishboy55
08-08-2003, 07:27 PM
A couple questions anthony, just for more information about this problem:

1) How old are the plugs that are in the car and what brand are they?

2) What kind of wires do you have? Stock, Magnecor, something else?

3) How many miles are on your coil packs?

Typically, you'll get a multi cylinder misfire if something foreign makes it's way to the cylinders. When I run B-12 Chemtool through my FPR to clean the injectors, I'm guaranted to get the misfire code, but after the cylinders are clear, the code never returns after I reset it.

Tiptronic
08-08-2003, 07:35 PM
1) How old are the plugs that are in the car and what brand are they? about 15,000 miles on them

2) What kind of wires do you have? Stock, Magnecor, something else? stock

3) How many miles are on your coil packs? unless they were changed at the 60,000 mile service(which i didnt get until 75000), never

its funny now, because i noticed that all of a sudden the ses light has gone out. i thought it only went out after you got it fixed, or reset the ecu

Fishboy55
08-08-2003, 07:46 PM
Well I'd say you're probably due for wires and coil packs. I know Mante was having a hell of a problem with his car running like crap. He replaced the coil packs and it all came back to normal. Then he swapped engined :laughing: Anyway, that's the way I'd go. Get yourself some magnacors and two coil packs. As far as the light goes, it will reset the next time the ECU checks for a misfire and everything is normal. My fuel trim error has reset twice now. I'm waiting for it to go away for the last time now that I cleaned my MAF.