PDA

View Full Version : High RPMs need help

silvergalantguy
08-04-2003, 11:40 PM
ok this morning i went to turn on my car before work and the tach shot up to 2000 Rpms. usually when i first turn it on it idles at just over 1000 rpms. ive had a problem like this before and i think its the throttle postion sensor. but the night before it ran fine. if it is the TPS, can you just change them or do you have to have a mechanic set it or something. reason im asking is autozone said its about $145 and id hope to save some cash by doing it myself.

bronxbombr
08-05-2003, 02:52 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silvergalantguy)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok this morning i went to turn on my car before work and the tach shot up to 2000 Rpms. usually when i first turn it on it idles at just over 1000 rpms. ive had a problem like this before and i think its the throttle postion sensor. but the night before it ran fine. if it is the TPS, can you just change them or do you have to have a mechanic set it or something. reason im asking is autozone said its about $145 and id hope to save some cash by doing it myself.</div>

Ya the 94LS i bought surges on startup too shoots up to 2k and then rests at 1k after awhile, If it is the TPS sensor I'm hoping it will be easier to change it than to swap the TB (I have 2 engines:) so the parts are not a problem, Im hoping the replacement install isnt either.

Moosh
08-05-2003, 03:21 PM
You can buy a TPS for like $20 from a junkyard or dsmtrader. It screws right in.

JiP
08-05-2003, 05:10 PM
TPS sensor is the lil black thing on the right side of the throttle body, its dirt cheap used, and its held on by 2 screws simple to change. Setting it would be easier if u had a datalogger, but you can set it by mesuring the voltage at idle its suposed to be around a sepcific voltage. Typically the tps sensor will be screwd in place so that the bolts are in the center of the adjusting space thats a good way to eyeball it. Whowever quoted $145 is a moron, about $15 and 20 minutes of ur life.

Rob

manybrews
08-05-2003, 05:48 PM
depending on the year, you do NOT adjust the TPS by voltage reading.
most after 94 had a built in closed throttle switch that needs to be "on" when the throttle is at rest REGARDLESS of what the TPS voltage is.
some of the new cars (most, actually) are using a minimum TPS reading as base.
and the older ones did indeed require a 500 mv signal at idle.
so be sure to set it up correctly if you mess around with it.

Or, better yet, find out whats wrong with your car before throwing parts at it (especially considering I replace only about 1 TPS every 2 years).

JiP
08-05-2003, 06:04 PM
While on topic...

I cant get my TPS perfect anymore. Back in the day it was 0-100 on the logger, now to get it to say 100 on the logger at WOT it reads like 5% with the throttle plate closed, O forgot im using the 1g TB I guess thatmight have somethin to do with it..

silvergalantguy
08-07-2003, 12:07 AM
autozone quoted me 145.00 but i think they get they get their mitsu parts from a mitsu dealer. i got a EGR valve and it was like 90 bucks i was like thats a lot of money for an EGR valve. when i got it it had a diamond star on the side of it and the same numbers as my old one. go figure. anyway, my cousins heading up near sacramento to the junk yards this weekend i might tag along to look for the rest of the parts i need for my car. oh by the way what it the screw next to the TPS i know the idle goes higher the more you unscrew it but what is it exactly. thanks for the help guys.

bronxbombr
08-07-2003, 05:37 AM
autozone quoted me 145.00 but i think they get they get their mitsu parts from a mitsu dealer. i got a EGR valve and it was like 90 bucks i was like thats a lot of money for an EGR valve. when i got it it had a diamond star on the side of it and the same numbers as my old one. go figure. anyway, my cousins heading up near sacramento to the junk yards this weekend i might tag along to look for the rest of the parts i need for my car. oh by the way what it the screw next to the TPS i know the idle goes higher the more you unscrew it but what is it exactly. thanks for the help guys.

thats the idle screw dont fuck with it.