PDA

View Full Version : grill mod, which dremel bit???

VIO
08-05-2003, 11:53 AM
hey, i'm going to cut out the slats in my grill this weekend to put in some mesh and i was wondering what dremel bit you guys have been using to cut them out? i'm assuming you're using the cutting wheel yes? what speed do you guys recommend? i don't want to use to high of a speed and melt the plastic.

pinoyesv6
08-05-2003, 01:29 PM
i just used my coping saw to cut the slats out. its just as fast as the dremel. just quieter. other members have used a soldering iron with an old tip that they can mess up. but yea just get a cutting wheel that will cut hard plastic. you might want to have a spray bottle of water to spray at the grille and the cutting wheel (not the dremel) to keep things kool.

VIO
08-05-2003, 02:03 PM
what? i shouldn't spray the dremel with water?!?!? :shock: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif :shock: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif sorry, i had to say that. i figured people would have just used the cutting wheel. i have a ton left over from when i was modding my computer case. i just have to find the right speed so i don't melt the plastic. i have a professional dremel with an lcd readout and it runs a max of 30,000 rpm. 30,000 would destroy the grill and that would not be good. :shock: i think it's about 10,000 for hard plastics. i should check dremel's website.

dsbenjamin
08-20-2003, 03:47 PM
After you cut out the slats...does it discolor the area that u cut? if you could...please let me know how u did this mod..thanks

VIO
08-20-2003, 04:41 PM
i did this last weekend. first i cut out all the slats with a cutting wheel and then i used the sanding bit to smooth it out. i only sanded to where the edge of the slats were. the i taped up all the chrome in front of this line and sprayed the exposed/sanded part with black appliance enamel. i used that type of paint because it's ultra hard and scratch resistant so when i put the mesh in it didn't scratch up the black paint. i used a softer mesh so i could mold it. it's not flat against the back of the grille. i pushed it forward and rounded the edges so it "bubbles" outward covering the painted part. it looks pretty damn good!

VIO
08-20-2003, 10:17 PM
oh and i used a 13,000 rpm setting. it went right through the plastic with no effort. it was like butter but it didn't melt it at all.

MitsuRacer
08-20-2003, 11:12 PM
if anyone is interested i am selling my grill for $40, it has mesh in it and is shop painted black but it has some small chips in the paint now cause i totalled the car. If anyone is interested let me know!! :twisted: