PDA

View Full Version : Peformance Torque Conveters

Phase24
08-05-2003, 03:39 PM
Can someone tell me what does it mean by "stall" when in terms of rating torque converters ?

Also Does anyone know where to find one or does anyone out there have a aftermarket one put on?

00GTZ00
08-05-2003, 03:57 PM
Check this out for How it works

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter1.htm ('http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter1.htm')

Getting a higher stall will let you put the enging in the power band for a launch off the line, Typicilly you want to get a stall the is as close to your peak torque as possible without going over the peak torque RPM.

So if your torque peaks at 2500rpm you would want a 2200 stall converter.

also you know how when you let off the brake your car "inches" fwd? that is because the stall is so low that is starts moving the car at 500 rpm... If you have a 2000 stall your car would not start moving untill you started to reach an rpm of 1800-2000 rpm.

As far as a shop to buy one from. Try and do a search in google or MSN to find a local Mistu performance shop to buy one from or even have them install it....

Phase24
08-05-2003, 03:59 PM
I called precision Industries and the said they could rebuild mine and get 500-800 stalll out of it
Is that good

I have a 4cyl
with SDS

00GTZ00
08-05-2003, 04:11 PM
to get 500-800 MORE of a stall?

because if they said they can build it to get a 500-800 TOTAL stall that is not much more than stock, if not a little less. and if you have the SDS your launches would suck ass if you had a a 500 stall.

I would image that a 1500-1800 stall would go good with your setup. But the BEST thing to do is get a dyno done on your car so you can see what YOUR car is doing. look at the torque curve, where does it "peak" or start to flatten out? 2000RPM's 2200RPM's? where ever it peaks subtract a few hundred rpms (200-400) and that is the stall that you will want.

so if your car peaks at 2000rpm I would get a 1800 stall

get it?

cdaw2001ES
08-05-2003, 04:19 PM
no - you want AT LEAST 3000. Stock is 2100-2600 It's a bit different with sds, vs turbo vs NA. Need to look at your dyno pulls to find the sweet spot
If you went much higher, and tried to launch - you would just spin - unless you cut off the back of the car. or installed a good aftermarket (ignition cut) launch / traction control system

btw - if you do this, the car will be very different. You need to rev to get moving - all the time -
I'm trying to get Level ten to figure out how to give it a user adjustable lock up. sincce it already has a lock up clutch valve. So you could lock it in way lower to keep that stock feel with the added HP, or lossen it up for the killer launch.

Big hp (8 cyl) NA guys want LOW stall, cause they got 350hp w/o the need to spool anything. cuts down on wheel spin , and increases fuel milage, My guess is your shop mostly works on V8's