PDA

View Full Version : Oil leaks in front on '90

porcelina68
08-06-2003, 08:27 AM
I bought a 1990 Galant in February from a friend of mine who actually works for a Mitsubishi dealership for $1000 (part of that money was to pay for a valve job). Since I don't know much about cars, I assume that the work was done correctly.

When I accelerate, I hear clattering noises, and I have an oil leak problem somewhere in the front. I have to add a quart of oil at least once a week to keep the oil light from coming on when I brake. I was wondering if I should take the time to have him check it out, or if I could just use an engine oil stop leak product to take care of this. I really won't have the extra money to get it fixed professionally for another couple of months, so I was wondering if I could get any suggestions for my hubby for do-it-yourself repairs.

I'm sorry that I don't have more information regarding the location of the leak, but if it is needed, I can get more information. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ConceptSleeper
08-06-2003, 08:34 AM
all that 'stop leak' crap sucks, so try to steer clear of those, try to degrease the area leaking so you can try to track down closer to where it is leaking, i would have him check it out!! as for the clacking when the valves were done maybe the valve lash wasnt correctly set? try checking it and adjusting it.

J apmetal
08-06-2003, 03:54 PM
If you have a 4G63 engine [check the vin plates for your engine type code] the clattering is the hydraulic valve lifters, and they all sound that way - it's really nothing to worry about unless it sounds like the whole engine is about to fall out [mine sounds like a regular ticking]