PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioner started blowing warm air

IHateMyGalant
08-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Is this a sign of needing a charge or compressor fail? When the A/C switch is pushed, all that happens now, is that the electric cooling fans come on. It sucks to be in Fla w/o air conditioning!

1996 Galant S 5spd silver pearl
173,000 miles
Ft Walton Beach, FL

ryans99es2.4
08-07-2003, 07:22 PM
does the compressor make any noise?

extremsprt86
08-07-2003, 07:29 PM
drive with the windows down, if thats not cool enough, your not going fast enough https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Ositoyb
08-07-2003, 08:27 PM
Is this a sign of needing a charge or compressor fail? When the A/C switch is pushed, all that happens now, is that the electric cooling fans come on. It sucks to be in Fla w/o air conditioning!

1996 Galant S 5spd silver pearl
173,000 miles
Ft Walton Beach, FL
It could be that you may to recharge it...OR......you might have a leak. A way you can check is, recharge your A/C, if you do and it feels ok the 1st day BUT NOT the 2nd, then you have a leak. I hope it's not your compressor.

manybrews
08-07-2003, 08:31 PM
the only way youre gonna lose refridgerant is due to a leak.
recharging it is useless unless the leak is fixed.
Provided, of course, that a leak is actually the problem.

Ositoyb
08-07-2003, 10:24 PM
that true...but depending how long you've had you car..and when the last time it was since you recharged it also plays a role. I only said you should recharge it because its the cheapest way to go.(assuming you have the recharge kit) if not, it cost no more than $20

queball
08-08-2003, 03:21 AM
if your cars a 96 or newer you can go to auto zone and buy a kit to recharge it with and it has the gadgues and every thing on the can its like 19.95 down here, BUT it olny works for 96 or newer if its older and has the old r12 shit in it then you;'ll have to take it to a shop and you better have a pretty fat wallet, at least if its newer and you do it your self you'll save some money unless it gets hot again then you knw you have a leak and will need to help..

IHateMyGalant
08-08-2003, 05:54 AM
Compressor makes no noise. All that happens is that the cooling fans turn on. I'll try the recharge first since it is a '96.