PDA

View Full Version : i keep blowing CV joints...wtf, why?

peanotation
08-09-2003, 01:39 AM
i think its because i'm "slammed". i mean, i'm pretty low, visit my WWW button to see my car. but i'm not that low. why the hell do i keep blowing CV joints? i first blew the one right by the tranny on my right axle, now i just blew the one right by right wheel, and its made my front right wheel very nice and greasy and dark and ugly.....someone help me out here, thanks guys.

peanotation
08-09-2003, 01:34 PM
bump....manybrews?....

Moosh
08-09-2003, 03:22 PM
msg him directly since thats the first thing he checks

manybrews
08-09-2003, 03:56 PM
what do you mean by "blowing them out"?
are they actually seperating? Or are the boots just tearing open, allowing debris to enter?

peanotation
08-09-2003, 03:58 PM
what do you mean by "blowing them out"?
are they actually seperating? Or are the boots just tearing open, allowing debris to enter?

boots are tearing, and the grease comes out. all the mechanics i've talked to say eventually they'll dry out and then the car won't move, or it'll be really awkward.

manybrews
08-09-2003, 04:31 PM
boots are tearing, and the grease comes out. all the mechanics i've talked to say eventually they'll dry out and then the car won't move, or it'll be really awkward.
how many miles?
because this is something that happens to almost all cars eventually.
But your techs are correct in that it WILL destroy the joints, if it hasnt already.
If the joints are still okay (meaning they arent making any noise), you could just have some new boots installed. If they are "clicking", its too late; you need new joints.

peanotation
08-09-2003, 08:21 PM
120K miles, but its been happening a lot recently, like over and over, and never has it happened before.

GalantSpeed
08-10-2003, 09:43 AM
if you have frame damage (ie. from an accident) it will cause the cv's to wear fast...

rfpa1
08-16-2003, 10:40 PM
I just have my oil changed and guess what I found- Driver side boot is shot- I replaced last year that axle because It started to vibrate. (131K) original axle- now 37k later started to do the same and guess. need the axle and the bearing. My mechanic thinks that the axle is covered under warranty- so lets see.

No is not a Mitsu part. None of the dealers around here could get it in less than a week, so I got my normal mechanic to get a replacement.

Well will see what happen. I do a lot of driving (about 200 miles a day.)