PDA

View Full Version : HEAD!

theguy526
08-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Just wondering if there is a such thing as a 16v SOHC 4G63? Never been able to find info on one, so I don't think there is, but I could easily be wrong. If there isn't, is there a 16 valve SOHC head that will bolt on to a 4G63 that anyone knows of? Just curious really.

ken inn
08-09-2003, 10:21 PM
yup, the repair manual shows a galant sohc 16 valve. but, even tho it breaths a little better, a sohc 16 valve is really a suck design, and you dont get much more power. the dohc is a MUCH better design, otherwise, you would see a lot more sohc multi valve cars. i think the main problem is the placement of the spark plugs, so the combustion chambers gotta be really wierd-shaped, and not efficient.

theguy526
08-11-2003, 02:48 PM
Now, that is a SOHC 4G63 and not one of the new 4G94 from the Lancers (non-EVO) right? I am pretty sure that is what you're saying. Do you think a cylinder head from a 4G94 would fit? I have no idea what the bore and stroke are on that block, all I know is that the compression level is higher (I think around 10.0-1). The reason why I ask is because I am looking at upping my compression to around that level, maybe 11-1, and I want to makesure I have a head and valve train that can handle that at redline. I really don't want to port or polish my current cylinder head because I am going N/A on this car. I know my car has a s**t load of miles, but I just replaced the head gasket about 2 months ago with the high performance one, and the block is still in great shape (see what happens when people actually know how to take care of their car!) so I want to keep running with it as long as possible, and maybe slap in a stroker kit. The only other performance things I am looking at for now though are a performance torque converter, and either rechipin the ECU or getting a piggyback unit for my fuel system, so I am in no real hurry to swap the heads yet.

theguy526
08-11-2003, 02:50 PM
Sorry, I asked about the 4G94 in the Lancer cause I thought it was new, but I don't really know how long it has been around, either JDM or USDM.