PDA

View Full Version : Tinted Windows

dicksteel
09-05-2002, 11:53 PM
I am getting my windows tinted tomorrow and was wondering what % everyone had? I was thinking about getting 20% but I heard there wasn't much difference between 15 and 20, so I was going to go with 15. So what do you guy's think, and also, what about the front windshield?
thanks!

Ken
09-06-2002, 12:20 AM
i got mine 30% all around (excluding the front windshield) and i think its dark enough. But if you're going for the darker look then 15% is a good thing. i wouldnt advise you getting the front windsheild tinted cuz its highly illegal and it will be a pain in the ass to see at night.

dicksteel
09-06-2002, 12:24 AM
yeah, i couldn't imagine trying to drive with the front windshield tinted! i guess i didn't clarify what i was talking about, i meant, just a strip across the front windshield. sorry for the confusion!

Tiller
09-06-2002, 12:41 AM
30% is plenty... and doesn't your car already have a tinted strip along the front windshield...?

Supernova
09-06-2002, 06:49 AM
Is it just in Alabama or is it illegal for you to have 20% tint. I think like the lowest you can get it 30%. But I could be wrong.(I know that the 20% is illegal)

Ed
09-06-2002, 06:52 AM
I'm in GA and I have 20% on the sides and 10% on the back......its your choice.

Gizmo
09-06-2002, 08:55 AM
Is it just in Alabama or is it illegal for you to have 20% tint. I think like the lowest you can get it 30%. But I could be wrong.(I know that the 20% is illegal)

Yeah in MD its illegal to have 20%, the legal limit is 35%. But I still see people with dark tint, I guess its up to the cops in Montgomery county (where I live) they are pretty cool but in PG county next county over they'll stop you in a heartbeat.

I have 20% but it doesn't seem that dark might go darker.

http://www.liquid2k.com/gizmo4me//tn_5.jpg

What you think does that look like 20%?

pinoyesv6
09-06-2002, 09:11 AM
getting pulled over in PG for tints...whoa. never heard of that. the cops i see in PG are rollin around with like 15% tint on their cars with the chrome hubcaps with the shiny tires. haha. they don't have time to pull people over for tints, they bz chasing donuts and stuff...

but dam thats 20% good god, i still haven't tinted my car and im shooting for maybe 35% or even 50%....arg...

Gizmo
09-06-2002, 09:19 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>getting pulled over in PG for tints...whoa. never heard of that. </div>

When I had a sentra (way back in the day) I got pulled over 3x for my tint. My friend has been pulled over twice already for his tint. It was only 20% on my friend but I had 5%. All this happened in PG.

Tiller
09-06-2002, 09:39 AM
that sure as hell does not look like 20%... that looks more like 35%... at the most...

Tazz2000
09-06-2002, 09:40 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiller)</div><div class='quotemain'>that sure as hell does not look like 20%... that looks more like 35%... at the most...</div>

IF that.

Gizmo
09-06-2002, 09:48 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiller)</div><div class='quotemain'>that sure as hell does not look like 20%... that looks more like 35%... at the most...</div>

they told me it was 20% I thnk I'm going back today

GalantLadie
09-06-2002, 11:01 AM
i have 5% all around (minus the windsheid)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid31/pbe2ba1c2f289554d1c8dbf13379a0304/fd4da166.jpg

Xavier22
09-06-2002, 12:55 PM
20% - i think its just perfect - it's not that bad - here in GA, i got 20 on the side and 5% on the back window and a 5% strip on the front windshield -

20% is ok, cuz the pigs can still see u in the daytime, but as for the night, it all depends on the lighting!!1

pretty sure u can get 5% in the back, though - but just in case ask around if you're a bit confused, yo

and gizmo - no thats not 20%, looks more like 40%/45% - if u wanted 20%, better go back and let them know what the fuck is up, know what i mean!!!

pinoyesv6
09-06-2002, 01:37 PM
i can see gizmo's tint as 20% i mean look how bright it is outside and u can see where the sun is shining...directly on the tint lol...

VTGalantGTZ
09-06-2002, 02:07 PM
I have 20% and I think its the way to go. 35% or 30 or whatever is still too light for me...
But I did get pulled over by this dick last week. I was coming home from work (downtown DC) on 66 (major highway) and he was sitting in the median. He actually pulled out and followed my for about 5 miles just to pull me over for my tint... during rush hour. He pulled out his tint-o-meter and showed me that they registered as 19%. got a ticket. dick.

Anyway go for the 20%... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Gizmo
09-06-2002, 02:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>i can see gizmo's tint as 20% i mean look how bright it is outside and u can see where the sun is shining...directly on the tint lol...</div>

Yeah the sun was directly behind me when I took the pic.

2001KnightRider
09-06-2002, 05:26 PM
i have a 01 black gtz, and i had 1 percent tint all around, excluding the windshield. it looked really good, till i got pulled over so i took them off, i was wanting to get 20 percent all around, but been to lazy to get it done

Auto-9
09-06-2002, 06:00 PM
20/35 on my silver car, the more see through tint up front of course...cops get really edgy around cars they can't see into.

Dave4013
09-06-2002, 06:23 PM
If you know it's illegal and still do it, why do you whine when you get a ticket? If you don't want to be busted for illegal tint, don't put illegal tint on your windows.

HaterzEraser
09-06-2002, 06:58 PM
I have a 20% wrap with a 5% eyebrow 2 inches past the AS1 line

Auto-9
09-06-2002, 08:37 PM
If you know it's illegal and still do it, why do you whine when you get a ticket? If you don't want to be busted for illegal tint, don't put illegal tint on your windows.

Aye the tinting folks should know your local laws

mrjaydeeone
09-06-2002, 11:00 PM
I thought I had 20%, then I was told I have 35%...well at any rate it's not dakr enoguh for me, and I'm thinking about getting 20% put over what I got...but I'm not sure yet...I might get it done in the fall when it cools down some..
It looks kinda dark...but at night you can see right thru the car...I want it so you can't see through the windsheild during the day

Tiller
09-07-2002, 12:10 AM

here, here...!

in PA, you're no longer allowed to tint your front windows at all.. .although all the shops still do it... the only thing you are allowed to tint is the rear, and any windows that do not move...

i got burnt for mine on my Si one time... didn't have to remove it though, and never got busted again in the 2 more years i had the car... i had like 35%... and 10 on the rear window...

http://a0.cpimg.com/image/AE/AA/5727150-784f-02000183-.jpg

Dave4013
09-07-2002, 05:21 AM
Yeah, PA has been weird with the tint enforcement. Ten years ago, it was almost an automatic pinch for any kind of tint that was not OE. Then there was some change to either that portion of the vehicle code or the enforcement of it. Most agencies didn't have tools to measure the tint, so you could get away with it as long as it wasn't ridiculously dark. Now, it's almost right back to where it was.

I think tint on the rear windows only looks silly, but if I do get my fronts tinted, I won't gripe if I get cited. That'd be like getting a ticket for doing 90mph in a 45 zone and complaining about it.

lx4life
09-07-2002, 06:28 AM
i dont know what part of pa you are from but here near philly cops don't care if you have tint on your side front windows as long as they can see you. just to let you know any car newer then 97 can only have 70% tint, but noone ever gets it that light, cause it looks like you don't have any tint.

Dave4013
09-07-2002, 07:45 AM
Like much of the vehicle code, it's "Officer discretion". Some Officers and Troopers will overlook the violation, because they don't want the hassle of making the stop, or it's not worth their time. Others will stop you every time because tint is a pet peeve or theirs, or because their Sgt. told them to get more pinches, or to specifically crack down on illegal tint.

I would imagine that Philly city cops are busy responding to more pressing matters to want to deal with a window tint issue. State Police are often more sensitive about window tint, especially in rural areas where there is less to do, and when they are bored.

Strahan
09-07-2002, 12:55 PM
I don't have a clue what % mine is, it came with tint. I got nervous and stripped the front driver & passenger windows of tint though as at the time I didn't have a license and PA cops will jump you real quick about those windows being dark.

http://www.galants.com/pics/totalshave.jpg

http://www.galants.com/pics/original3.jpg

VTGalantGTZ
09-07-2002, 01:39 PM

To me, tint is a trivial issue. And I did it because VA laws are 35% back and rear windows and 50% on the front, which, to me, is weak.
Of course, I got it done knowing that I would most likely at some point getting a ticket for it. It's not like its extreme like limo tint or even rare for people here in VA to get 20%. It just looks better than what the law allows. You just have to be willing to take the chance, I was. And I'm not whining, I was letting people know that some people will pull you over and most won't. You are taking a chance and you might get caught like I did. I just didn't expect to be sought out during rush hour simply for my tinted windows... And its not like its going to make me remove it, that's more of a pain than paying the ticket.

Of course the 'tinting folks' know its illegal too. They don't care though, they'll do what you want. They just told me that they would not 'register' it or something so that they wouldn't be held responsible. And that's good enough for them. Its a bunch of 16 year olds at most places anyway.

SinSere
09-07-2002, 03:30 PM
Gizmo, I know your picture is taken at an angle with the sun shining through it, but I don't think that is 20% honestly. Looks like my 35% that was on my car when I got it, and then later took off. Just my opinion though.

mrjaydeeone
09-07-2002, 04:01 PM
I took a tone of pictures...before I got my windows tinted...so this way if I ever get pulled over for the tint (knock on wood) I can bring the pics into court, and say the tint was removed...

Auto-9
09-07-2002, 05:18 PM
Of course the 'tinting folks' know its illegal too. They don't care though, they'll do what you want. They just told me that they would not 'register' it or something so that they wouldn't be held responsible. And that's good enough for them. Its a bunch of 16 year olds at most places anyway.

That wasn't true of my shop https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif It's run by 30 and 40 year olds that absolutely refused to put limo tint on my car and break the law.

neenjagtz
09-07-2002, 05:59 PM
Im from PA and admit the tinting laws are rather pathetic. I moved to Texas and got my windows tinted here cuz its so damn hot and bright all the time. The laws here only allow 35% on the front two doors and as dark as you want on the rear. I went with the 5% all around the back and the 35% on the front. Of course I cant go with anything on the front winshield but I think that it looks gay anyhow. I have to admit, the difference in tinting is hardly noticeable except during the midday.

Reelax
09-07-2002, 06:32 PM
in california, you can't tint the front windows and only black (grey) and green are legal on the rear windows. of course the windshield has to stay clear as well. my windows have earned me 2 tickets so far but i don't care; that's what attorneys are for. i will have to buy 2 new windows and put them in for inspection to clear those 2 tickets (i've had them extended for about a year). my tint is irreplaceable since the guy who did it used marine tint and the tint manufacturer has since gone out of business... if i remove the fronts, it will never match again and i'll b forced to replace all the window tints for a perfect match.

http://www.raniworld.com/RAAA/10blue.jpg
35% blue on all the windows except the windshield.

sd2775906
09-07-2002, 09:51 PM
I have 20% mirror tint all around, and in Mass only 35% is legal and mirror is illegal too. I've never been pulled over for it, but when I got pulled over for speeding in a construction zone (85 in 55), the state trooper just put his hand behind my rear window and did a visual check. He had to have known it was mirror, he was checking himself out... but just gave me a speeding ticket. Another time is when I got pulled over for my green washer lights, the cop did a visual check and didn't say anything, just looked at it, even though you couldn't see in...he was more concerned about the green lights and made me rip them out. The only problem is trying to get an inspection sticker, I failed 3 times due to the tint and finally passed after the guy who put it on told me about someone who'll pass me if I gave him a "tip"...so instead on the $29 it usually costs, it cost me $50.

Tiller
09-07-2002, 11:41 PM
Relaxx, that tint looks real smooth... i'd never do it, but it does look good...

Strahan, that tint is at least 20%, maybe darker... that shit is DARK...!

and most all cars come from the factory with a 70% tint already, so that means you are not allowed, by law, to put any other tint on... (in PA)...

Strahan
09-08-2002, 11:13 AM
From what I've read, the 70% thing comes from "Table X" and is not really a law. The law (purportedly) just says that tint must conform to federal standard FMVSS 205. I never did the law research myself on this as I haven't been ticketed for tint yet, but if you peruse http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/ ('http://www.berksweb.com/users/dmv/tint/') they have alot of info. I personally don't care until I get pulled over for it, hehe.