PDA

View Full Version : Manual tranny in '99 DE

TJC
09-06-2002, 12:13 AM
I was looking through my Mitsu Service Manual for '99-'00 and saw two extensive chapters on the manual tranny, blowup diagrams of parts, and maintenance. If this was for the DE, which is only in an I4, does this mean there isn't a manual for the V6?

Guess I should find the diagram for an eclipse manual tranny for a GT and compare parts to the Galant DE. Hmmm, answered my own question, lol.

pinoyesv6
09-06-2002, 12:17 AM
yea there was only a manual in the DE Galant. none for the v6

MBR01
09-06-2002, 12:29 AM
Do any members on this board have a DE? I never have seen one on the road here in MI. But then on the other hand I have probably seen 6 Galant ES on the road and 2 GTZ's. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

TJC
09-06-2002, 12:34 AM
There are a couple DE owners here. And I've seen all kinds of Galants cropping up around here in So.Cal.

Lazarus
09-06-2002, 05:55 AM
Are there any DE Sticks in here I want that Transmission

cdaw2001ES
09-06-2002, 04:36 PM
Couldn't you use an eclipse tranny - 5 speed on the V6,

RedGalant2k1
09-06-2002, 06:24 PM
Couldn't you use an eclipse tranny - 5 speed on the V6,
yes, thats the tranny people with V6s would HAVE to use, they have no other choice.

99DE
09-06-2002, 10:12 PM
I wish I had the manual, the 99DE manual is alusive, I've checked the autotraders etc.. I think they never made it to the states, but I could be wrong. I heard they were produced beginning 99 then discontinued.

RedGalant2k1
09-06-2002, 10:31 PM
I wish I had the manual, the 99DE manual is alusive, I've checked the autotraders etc.. I think they never made it to the states, but I could be wrong. I heard they were produced beginning 99 then discontinued.

They DID make it to the states but in limited numbers. The 99 USDM Galant Service manual shows a 99 DE with a 5Spd tranny. So its out there its just very hard to find.

DJ Galant
09-07-2002, 01:58 AM
i was told by somebody who went to the U.S. factory of Mitsu that there are NONE 99 de galant existing that has manual transmission.
THere was one acctually made with manual tranny as a project car, but mitsu decided not to make them due to big vibration that car had. THe brochure for 99 galant had a printout mistake, and that is why some of you think that there are 99 de with manual tranny, but acctually there is NOT EVEN A SINGLE ONE EXSTING i the real life...
Besides mitsu thought that it is not worthed to do more research on that vibration, cuz they figuredthat nobody who is buying a family sedan would buy a car with 5 speed transmission.

TJC
09-07-2002, 02:06 AM
THere was one acctually made with manual tranny as a project car, but mitsu decided not to make them due to big vibration that car had.....

Probably due to the lousy rotor problem we all are experiencing, lol.

i was told by somebody who went to the U.S. factory of Mitsu that there are NONE 99 de galant existing that has manual transmission.......THe brochure for 99 galant had a printout mistake, and that is why some of you think that there are 99 de with manual tranny, but acctually there is NOT EVEN A SINGLE ONE EXSTING i the real life...

It's in my Mitsubishi service manual and not just some brochure. Two big chapters on the manual tranny with blowup diagrams, service and maintenance procedures too. Not sure how viable your source is DJ Galant.

DJ Galant
09-07-2002, 02:35 AM
Well, the person that told me that works for Dough's Dynopower (big mitsu fan), and btw...
what kind of service manual do you have???
Are you sure it is for GALANT not for ECLIPSE RS/gs??
I have a dealer service manual for GALANT (8 gen), too. And there is not even a single word that menssions about manual transmission.
You probably looked at the book that comes in your glove box "manual service manual" (haha- that is what i was talking about) - that is a mistake in printing..
Could you please tell me then where did you find it? What page number?
What chapter?
I am either blind or I don't know what is going on here....
Also on page 00-29 in your manual service (GENERAL BODY AND CHASIS SECTION FOR 2.4L),you can see excatly wahat kind opf transmission our cars have - 4 speed automatic F4A42.... No single word about 5 speed.
I reallt wanna know the page number for the manual transmisson..
I think you have eclipse manual or something...

DJ Galant
09-07-2002, 02:55 AM
and one more thing tjc....
lokk how many members we have in here....over a 1000.
How come there is NOBODY in here with a 99 de model with the manual tranny ??????? All of them are automatic, trust me on that one.
I am 100% sure that there is no such a thing as 99 de 5 speed, except for the one that mitsu made as their project car..

Fishboy55
09-07-2002, 07:46 AM
Ok here;s one source to support DJ's position. But hey man don't be so hard on TJC. He definately knows the difference between the Service Manual and the Owner's Manual. It sounds like Mitsu was planning to make the manual and just printed the Service manual to cover all possible bases. This is taken from consumerguide.com. Now you boys play nice.

Chip

Not only did Mitsubishi redesign its most popular sedan as an early 1999 model, but a V6 engine was available for the first time. Wheelbase and exterior dimensions of the front-drive compact sedan changed little, but the interior was slightly more spacious. Rivals included the Mazda 626, Nissan Altima, and Oldsmobile Alero. Base DE and step-up ES models used the familiar 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine, but a new 3.0-liter V6 went into V6 editions of the ES, LS and sporty GTZ sedan. Mitsubishi initially announced that manual shift might come later, but all Galants had a 4-speed automatic transmission. Seat-mounted side airbags were standard in the LS and GTZ, and an option for the ES. Antilock braking was standard on V6 models and optional for the 4-cylinder ES. A body-color grille, spoiler and white-faced gauges helped the GTZ stand apart from the Galant pack. Mitsubishi considered the 4-cylinder ES sedan to be the volume leader.

Lazarus
09-07-2002, 10:28 AM
So Chip what your saying is that the "Sporty" GTZ Sucks. Just kidding. I do have a question though. CDAW2001ES said that I could always just switch out the Tranny from an Eclipse and I thought that would be practical however (comma) Wouldn't the placement for the stick be different from the location of the Shifter? That was my big issue. I don't want to have to redo my whole center console because I wanted a manual. I can live with the Auto for now.

cdaw2001ES
09-07-2002, 04:28 PM
Whoa - I didnt't sat "You Could" I said "Couldn't you"
The engine would matchup. but You'd have to do some custom mounting, add a clutch pedal, and mount the stick

pinoyesv6
09-08-2002, 04:36 PM
the 99 DE 5spd does exist. how do i know? well yea i almost bought 2 of em but opted to get a 6 instead. i dunno 5spd was nice but i wasn't loving the DE look.

RedGalant2k1
09-08-2002, 11:40 PM
Just because the Factory here in the States didn't build the 99 DE 5spds doesn't mean they don't exist. Just because the service manual doesn't include them doesn't mean they don't exist.

I believe Allan because several other people have confirmed his observations. AND another big reason i believe they exist is because the Factory Engineers told me that just because they didn't build them in Normal doesn't rule out a special project in Cali, or they came straight from Japan.

Either way we need to find a VIN to verify it.

TJC
09-09-2002, 02:03 AM
Well, the person that told me that works for Dough's Dynopower (big mitsu fan), and btw...
what kind of service manual do you have???
Are you sure it is for GALANT not for ECLIPSE RS/gs??
I have a dealer service manual for GALANT (8 gen), too. And there is not even a single word that menssions about manual transmission.
You probably looked at the book that comes in your glove box "manual service manual" (haha- that is what i was talking about) - that is a mistake in printing..
Could you please tell me then where did you find it? What page number?
What chapter?
I am either blind or I don't know what is going on here....
Also on page 00-29 in your manual service (GENERAL BODY AND CHASIS SECTION FOR 2.4L),you can see excatly wahat kind opf transmission our cars have - 4 speed automatic F4A42.... No single word about 5 speed.
I reallt wanna know the page number for the manual transmisson..
I think you have eclipse manual or something...

No offense taken here :wink:

I have the 3 volume Mitsubishi Galant Service Manual for 1999-2000 from the dealer and cost me $120 for the set. So YES, it is for the Galant. Funny thing though, they never mention in those 2 chapters on manual transmission (22A & 22B - Vol. 2) about different engines (I4/V6). Oh, and the 2 chapters before that is on the clutch (21A & 21B - Vol. 2).

The service manual I have is ©1999 Mitsubishi Motors Corporation, June 1999 Printed in USA, MSSP-009B-2000(2/3)

HondaKillerGTZ
09-09-2002, 11:32 PM
No offense taken here :wink:

I have the 3 volume Mitsubishi Galant Service Manual for 1999-2000 from the dealer and cost me $120 for the set. So YES, it is for the Galant. Funny thing though, they never mention in those 2 chapters on manual transmission (22A & 22B - Vol. 2) about different engines (I4/V6). Oh, and the 2 chapters before that is on the clutch (21A & 21B - Vol. 2).

The service manual I have is ©1999 Mitsubishi Motors Corporation, June 1999 Printed in USA, MSSP-009B-2000(2/3)

I have the exactly the same service manuals and this info is true, a total of four chapters about the manual tranny in the volume 2 :wink:

Danger DANJ
09-10-2002, 12:35 PM
Pinoy isn't lying. I also saw a '99 DE manual when I bought my '99 ES V6 at the dealership. People can say what they want, I know what I saw. It was silver and had a dealer added sunroof, but everything else was the basic DE standards. I wouldn't doubt it if any of them were even sold. They were probably returned to Mitsu or something.

Auto-9
09-10-2002, 01:32 PM
I guess the more important question is, if someone brought in a manual DE or a stick driven Galant for that matter would the dealership know how to service the vehicle...does us no good if it exists and no one knows what to do with it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

BlueESV6
09-10-2002, 01:42 PM
Could this be a snipe hunt? hehe