PDA

View Full Version : Clear Corner Lights

RaViN
08-13-2003, 02:00 AM
Wheres a good site to get some clear corner mods? :?:

Reelax
08-13-2003, 02:02 AM
umm here. clear corners are DIY, not aftermarket. does somebody have a link to a tutorial?

2000GTZ
08-13-2003, 02:04 AM
just search. im lazy too https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

btw: take a second thought before comitting. remember it is a one way mod. no coming back. remmebr you might want to get non stock amber bulbs so you dont see amber during the daytime. good luck!

mrjaydeeone
08-13-2003, 02:25 AM
http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17903 ('http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17903')

check the above link about half way down the page you will see a tutorial curtousey of Pinoy

RaViN
08-13-2003, 02:36 AM
hmm....not sure if i wanna try all that, my luck id fuck my shit up. No after-market headlights? I searched the web and didnt find much but altezza tails.

Prophet
08-13-2003, 02:43 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RaViN)</div><div class='quotemain'>hmm....not sure if i wanna try all that, my luck id fuck my shit up. Â*No after-market headlights? I searched the web and didnt find much but altezza tails.</div>

No there is no aftermarket clear corners for the 8G. Your going to have to man up and just do it. I am going to tell you that once you do it your going to love the way it looks.

RaViN
08-13-2003, 02:48 AM
ahh....i guess ill try it tomorrow and see wassup. :wink:

akiraflux
08-13-2003, 08:25 AM
so how come i've never heard of anybody actually crackin the bad boys open to take out the lens? to me that seems easier than the tutorial page...

Xavier22
08-13-2003, 08:27 AM
it is, that how i did it w/ a help of a friend - many members have done it like that - either the oven or blowdryer, then just take out the lens and seal it back together!!!

Monkey
08-13-2003, 08:41 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prophet)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RaViN)</div><div class='quotemain'>hmm....not sure if i wanna try all that, my luck id fuck my shit up. Â*No after-market headlights? I searched the web and didnt find much but altezza tails.</div>

No there is no aftermarket clear corners for the 8G. Your going to have to man up and just do it. I am going to tell you that once you do it your going to love the way it looks.</div>

Agreed...

Although pinoy's way is definitely creative/mad scientist/genius... I found it easier to take apart the housing unit (blow dryer and pry open) and simply take out the yellow lens... then there's the f-ing epoxy glue... big mess, but does the trick! Took about half an hour in all, waited an hour to dry, then reinstall. The following weekend, I cleaned up(razor blade off) all the excess epoxy to give it a cleaner more professional look... trust me its simple... this coming from a monkey who has trouble pumping gas! :wink:

RaViN
08-13-2003, 08:50 PM
HELL YEA....man i got this....i did it this morn, after a few finger hits, i got the damn orange thing out. Looks tight as hell. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif thx peeps

mrjaydeeone
08-13-2003, 10:28 PM
no doubt bro

galantv600
08-13-2003, 10:28 PM
doin mine tomorow! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Prophet
08-14-2003, 12:21 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RaViN)</div><div class='quotemain'>HELL YEA....man i got this....i did it this morn, after a few finger hits, i got the damn orange thing out. Â*Looks tight as hell. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif thx peeps</div>

There you go. Sometimes you just have to say F$%* it and do it.

GaLaNtKeV99
08-14-2003, 12:27 AM
wats the best sealant for that, to make sure that no water gets in.

I bought this 100 % silicone sealant clear. Is that good, or should i get something else. :roll:

mrjaydeeone
08-14-2003, 01:44 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GaLaNtKeV99)</div><div class='quotemain'>wats the best sealant for that, to make sure that no water gets in.

I bought this 100 % silicone sealant clear. Is that good, or should i get something else. :roll:</div>

yours arent cleared yet?
shame on you
and Denver hasnt snuck up and done them while you werent looking https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

GaLaNtKeV99
08-15-2003, 04:08 PM
wats the best sealant for that, to make sure that no water gets in.

I bought this 100 % silicone sealant clear. Is that good, or should i get something else. :roll:

yours arent cleared yet?
shame on you
and Denver hasnt snuck up and done them while you werent looking https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

LOLOL nah mine are cleared i did them about 8 months ago. Its that wen i sealed them i didnt seal them good enough.

So wen i gave u that call (2 days ago) :wink: i decided to open them up again and reseal, which i did already.

hikix
08-16-2003, 02:36 PM
is there any easy way to get those freakin yellow plastic things outta the head light... is it really nessicary to jack up the car and remove the wheels and shit.. do u think i can get an auto place to do it for me.. and if so if anyone lives in long island, nyc area to let me kno the place?!?

GaLaNtKeV99
08-16-2003, 02:39 PM
is there any easy way to get those freakin yellow plastic things outta the head light... is it really nessicary to jack up the car and remove the wheels and shit.. do u think i can get an auto place to do it for me.. and if so if anyone lives in long island, nyc area to let me kno the place?!?

Its a DIY (do it yourself) modification. You have to sit down and work on it. there is several ways to go about doin that.

on this same thread there is a link to one tutorial.

If that doesnt help SEARCH! 8)

mrjaydeeone
08-17-2003, 05:49 AM

nope for the 8gs you dont have to jack up the car

just remove the grille and then the 4 bolts that hold the headlight in

hikix
08-17-2003, 03:18 PM
how long did it take u guys to do it??? and is it possible to royally fuck it up and have to get new headlights?? im not the most patient person

mrjaydeeone
08-17-2003, 03:20 PM
how long did it take u guys to do it??? and is it possible to royally fuck it up and have to get new headlights?? im not the most patient person

took me about 30 minutes for the 1st one, and about 15 for the 2nd

hikix
08-17-2003, 03:29 PM
im not a car mechanic by any means... do u think anyone can do this?? i just bought this car, i dont wanna fuck it up just yet!!

mrjaydeeone
08-17-2003, 03:37 PM
im not a car mechanic by any means... do u think anyone can do this?? i just bought this car, i dont wanna fuck it up just yet!!

anyone can do it?

if you dont wanna take a chance find out if there is a member in your area that would help you out

hikix
08-17-2003, 03:46 PM
thanks bro, but i found the tutorial.. it doesnt seem too hard to do for 8gs. i think im gonna make an attempt at it this week

hikix
08-18-2003, 12:52 AM
ok. b4 i start im not too sure if pinoy's tutorial was for the 2003 galant.. i have a 2000 galant, which im hoping is the same tutorial... and what is this business about sealant and blow dryers, epoxy.. stuf to that affect??? none of that was mentioned in pinoys tutorial

cdaw2001ES
08-18-2003, 12:56 AM
The problem with Pinoys - It's real easy to scatch the crap out of your lens covers.

The other way - You put the lights (minus bulbs) in the oven to soften up the glue holding the lens cover to the housing. Then you pry it off, do the mod, and seal it back up.

hikix
08-18-2003, 01:03 AM
oven sounds kinda risky... can i blow dry the fuck outta it so hopefully it'll peel off?!?!

cdaw2001ES
08-18-2003, 01:06 AM
Y - but if you do it that way - you have to pry as you go - be extra careful not to pry too hard - take your time.

hikix
08-18-2003, 01:09 AM
aiight thanks.. but one final question.. im not goin to put my headlight in the oven, it just doesnt sound appealing to me .. do u think i should even bother using a blowdryer or should i just start pryin away raw dog

cdaw2001ES
08-18-2003, 01:16 AM
You must soften it up - else - a. you will give up. or b you destroy them in frustration

2000GTZ
08-18-2003, 01:43 AM
i would stick with the "stick-a-screwdriver-through-the-corner-light-hole" technique. once you master it, you can easily get it out in less then 5 minutes. taking off the grille and housing and putting them back on is another story, but cant take more than 15 min altogether... just dont get distracted and dont force anything. i have damage pics to prove frustration doesnt help. and pics of my other side, which i mastered =) and no booboos whatsoever.

cremeans2326
08-18-2003, 03:13 AM
I made my own lights clear corners. It wasn't easy, but i'm very pleased with the results. I just used a hair dryer, and heated around the clear plastic. took a knife to begin prying it loose, and then slowly pulled it apart, cutting the seal. The screw on the chrome piece can be a little tough. Then i just broke the orange plastic, and put it back together, after spending about 2 hours cleaning out the old sealant. I then used clear silicone to seal it back up. I did one light at a time so if i needed my car for something i could drive at night. I put a toolbox on top of the lamp and some other heavy things until it dried. I let them set for about 8 hours before putting them back in. That was pretty much it. Once you learn how to do it, you can do it for other people too. I converted a friends headlights for $100. Should have charged him more but he was a friend. I have seen a guy on ebay sell a set every once in a while for about $300 or more. So you can make some money if you get good at it.

illmatic101
08-18-2003, 01:01 PM
Yo hikix, depending on where you are on LI i'll either do it for you or I can show you how to do it easy. Just let me know.

hikix
08-18-2003, 05:06 PM
i live in hicksville

2000GTZ
08-18-2003, 05:09 PM
I converted a friends headlights for $100.

:shock: damn. did you at least buy new bulbs for him? =D

illmatic101
08-19-2003, 11:31 AM
Whats up hikix, If you want just PM me with your number and i'll do them for you easily for $50. It will take me about 30 - 45 mins to complete the job. Im from Huntington which is pretty close to you so it won't be a problem. If you want to do them yourself i'll sit back and watch and just make sure you dont make any mistakes or anything. Just let me know.

dza
08-19-2003, 01:37 PM
I used to do this all the time. I did it once with a blow dryer... that took a long time. Its easiest with a heat gun. And its easiest with two people. One pulling on both sides and the other pointing the heat gun. If you happen to not have any marine glue to put it back together, you can heat up the old glue and that works believe it or not. I always put them back together and tightly wrapped duct tape to make sure it stayed.

hikix
08-26-2003, 11:48 AM
one quick question b4 i start... is that orange reflector peice held by glue itself.. so in other words can i heat that up by pointing the blowdryer in the turn signal hole.. then try to peel it off and break it apart?!?! i dunno if thats how it works but thats how i was gonna do it!! :retard:

dza
08-26-2003, 11:53 AM
its a solid peice of plastic. not glued in, not a sticker. If you were to pull your headlight assembly apart, you'll see how it sits in there. It'd just slide out of its little compartment.

hikix
08-26-2003, 11:55 AM
its possibly to slide it out without pulling the light apart?? whats the use of a heat gun or blowdryer then?

Jeff
08-26-2003, 11:58 AM
there's a new tutorial up on how to do it......i did it that way a long time ago and it was a half hour job from disassembly to reassembly.

hikix
08-26-2003, 12:00 PM
whats the link for the new tutorial.. pinoys tutorial tells me to beat the shit outta the orange reflector then shake it out.. i wanna try it that way but im afraid i might scratch sumthin.. if its easy to break ill do it pinoys way.. do u guys kno how easy it is to break that thing?!?! :orangeno:

dza
08-26-2003, 12:01 PM
hikix, you are mixing two different ways to do it.

One, Use a heat gun to soften the glue holding the assembly together. Pull the two peices apart, pull out the reflecter. Heat the existing glue back up and add a bit more. Put it back together and even tape it to secure it.

Two, reach in with a screwdriver pushing the reflector to the headlight area. Break it up and pull the peices out.

hikix
08-26-2003, 12:03 PM
oh ok i got u.. which way would u recommend??

dza
08-26-2003, 12:06 PM
i've only done #1... it probably would take two people. One with gloves pulling it apart as someone else points the gun. I would only do that way b/c it would eliminate having to worry about scratching up the inside of your headlight... which is obviously easy to do if you stick tools in there pushing a reflecter and breaking it.

Jeff
08-26-2003, 12:08 PM
whats the link for the new tutorial.. pinoys tutorial tells me to beat the shit outta the orange reflector then shake it out.. i wanna try it that way but im afraid i might scratch sumthin.. if its easy to break ill do it pinoys way.. do u guys kno how easy it is to break that thing?!?! :orangeno:

http://clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19230 ('http://clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19230')

you gotta be brave, cuz you will hear a cracking sound when the reflector is starting to break, but you gotta keep going to get it out. Kinda scary when you do the first one, but you will realize that it had to be done unless you really want to pop the whole assembly apart, which leaves more room for error. get it over with and you will feel better.

p.s. i didn't slide the orange reflector out to break it, just pried on it till it broke. then i broke it up more with the needle-nose pliers. no damage to the inside of my headlight housing at all.

hikix
08-26-2003, 12:11 PM
haha yah ive been puttin it off for the last week.. im scared to do it.. i just bought this car and i dont wanna fuck it up... i think ill do it on thursday, havent decided which way im gonna do it yet!! :shock:

dza
08-26-2003, 12:42 PM
both ways have risks. huge risks. give yourself a lot of time and be careful. if you think you are being careful, be even more careful. its very easy to do without flaws. but, if you rush you can scratch the inside... or you could melt too much.

pinoyesv6
08-26-2003, 02:00 PM
see thats the thing, when u pull on the reflector to break it, try pullin near the top or the bottom of the reflector. that way if you do scratch it, you are not scratching the lens in the middle where it is more noticable.

Jeff
08-26-2003, 02:03 PM
exactly