PDA

View Full Version : where does my oil go?

signet
09-06-2002, 09:30 AM
my car uses alot of oil it does not leak when I get on the gas hard it smokes (black like carbin) . and how do i fix this?

pinoyesv6
09-06-2002, 01:09 PM
it sounds like there is an amount of oil getting into the combustion chamber and getting burned off. not good at all.

Jesse
09-06-2002, 02:18 PM
could it be that he needs some new gaskets?

manybrews
09-06-2002, 05:46 PM
mitsu's traditionally use about a quart every 1500 miles. however, blue oil smoke is NOT normal.

usually its from worn valve guides and/or valve seals.

Dark Anghell
09-07-2002, 09:31 PM
You need to everhaul your engine. The seals on your pistons have been broken (cracked, etc.), and they are letting some oil into the combushion chamber, thus creating that black smoke (pretty much what pinoyesv6 said). So in order to fix this problem you can do two things...one:you can get the piston rings replaced (I would suggest overhauling the whole engine). Or you can get a new engine from the junkyard, and install that.

First choice is more expensive, but you get practically a new engine. The second choice is cheaper, but the engine is used.

manybrews
09-08-2002, 08:13 AM
oops!
i just realized you said BLACK smoke.
if indeed the smoke is black, its not from oil. oil smoke is blue. if the smoke is black, its an over-rich mixture.

galAZNt
09-10-2002, 10:05 PM
i have a similar problem. Although my smoke is not rich or blue and there is no oil leaks, my oil seems to disappear every oil change. it is always a quart or 2 lower than what it started with. Any suggestions???

pinoyesv6
09-10-2002, 10:13 PM
i have a similar problem. Although my smoke is not rich or blue and there is no oil leaks, my oil seems to disappear every oil change. it is always a quart or 2 lower than what it started with. Any suggestions???

mitsu's traditionally use about a quart every 1500 miles.

so im guessing that since u change ur oil every 3000 miles thats about 2 quarts im guessing. but yea u should always check ur oil periodically just to make sure that it isnt' burning rapidly or leaking somewhere. i remember when i first got my car, it came with a faulty oil pump. and yea i knew mitsu's were known to leak and burn oil but hell, not at 500 miles. so yea i took it back and they fixed it

Kain
09-10-2002, 10:55 PM
Hmm, I must have an odd Mitsubishi. I put in 4.5 quarts and at oil change I get just over a gallon jug full of dirty oil. Of course some always stays in the oil filters too. At my old shop we had this really old guy who just needed stuff to do, so we let him sweep up, take out the trash from the front, cut the approximately 5 sq ft of grass out front, etc. Anyway, one of the things he did was take our old oil filters and use the hydraulic press to crush them and collect the used oil (we were too cheap to pay a company to "safely" dispose of our oil filters, since all they would do is crush them and throw them in an incinerator :roll: ) From about 15 V6+V8 oil filters we'd get about 5 quarts of oil. The Galant oil filter is really small, so I'd say about 1/4-1/3 of a quart if that. And also, there is a small amount of oil that no one has ever been able to figure out where it goes. I.E. you check your oil level, and it's full. Drain the oil, and refill to the full mark. You will always have less used oil than what you put in, despite the same level on the dipstick. Usually about another 1/4-1/3 quart there as well.

Nick VR4
09-11-2002, 08:59 AM
<span style='color:blue'>Thick blue </span>or gray smoke that doesn't dissipate quickly is most likely the result of oil being burned in the engine's combustion chamber. It can be caused by something as minor as clogged oil passages or it may point to something more serious that could require extensive engine work.

If your engine is burning enough oil to produce visible exhaust smoke, the oil level will drop over time and require periodic top-offs. Worse, burning oil can foul the engine's spark plugs, causing maladies ranging from a rough idle and reduced fuel mileage to hard starting and sluggish acceleration.

Regardless of the cause of this type of smoke, you should have the vehicle checked out by a qualified mechanic as soon as possible.

Black smoke: See your mechanic.

<span style='color:black'>Black, sooty smoke </span>is usually symptomatic of an engine that's burning too much fuel. Because engines run inefficiently when cold, they use extra fuel at start-up to ensure a smooth idle and stumble-free acceleration. If the smoke clears up as the engine warms to operating temperature, it's probably nothing to worry about.

Should the smoking persist, a clogged or dirty air filter is a likely culprit. (On carbureted vehicles, the choke and choke linkage could have a buildup of gum and varnish.) If the filter checks out OK, a faulty sensor, a clogged fuel injector, or another intake-system component may be to blame. Because of the vast complexity of modern fuel-injected engines, your best bet may be to have the car checked out by a mechanic with specialized training in these types of repairs.