PDA

View Full Version : possibly too much oil?

dza
08-15-2003, 07:43 AM
I know that when you check your oil it should be between the two hash marks on the dipstick. Obviously close to the top hash mark. I changed my oil yesterday while the car was still hot. I figured, I was in a hurry and Jiffy Lube, Mobil, etc change oil while the car is still hot too so there shouldn't be a problem. It was a little challenging b/c everything was insanely hot but I managed. I let the oil drain until it only dripped from the oil pan once every couple of seconds. I refilled with only 4 quarts and checked the oil to see how I was doing just in case there was too much old oil left. I checked the oil three times to find out that it was about a length of a hash mark above the top hash mark. I let out about a quarter of a quart and checked again. Now it was half a hash marks length above the top hash mark. ?!?!?! I put in less than 4 quarts. Granted, I hadn't started the car after the oil change and before I checked it but I wanted to make sure. I took it to work (20 minute drive) and checked it in the parking lot and I'm about a half a hash mark length below the top hash mark... of course, b/c the oil is no longer all in the pan.

The long and short of it, which reading of the dipstick is more accurate? Do I have too much oil or not enough? I'm real concerned that this will make or break me. I'm about to go on a 14 hour drive to GA.

It just got me wondering b/c i've seen mobil put in 4.2 quarts in my engine before while the car was hot. I used one of those monster 5 quart jugs of oil and still have a quart remaining in it and yet it appears i have too much oil.

Sorry this was long.

Fishboy55
08-15-2003, 09:34 AM
Not to sound offensive, but you didn't mention if you changed your filter. I'm assuming you did. Did you run the car before checking the oil level? Less than 5 quarts sounds about right. 4.2 would be about right.

Auto-9
08-15-2003, 10:13 PM
Yeah did you wait before checking the oil level, or did you just pull the dipstick as soon as you finished with the bottle?

extremsprt86
08-17-2003, 09:43 PM
was the car level when you checked? take it for a spin, then when you get back check all the fluids.

dza
08-18-2003, 09:22 AM
no offense taken... of course I changed the oil filter . I did not run the car before my first check b/c it seemed like I had too much oil in already. I didn't wanna ruin anything.

the car was level.

I checked the oil this morning after the trip last night and the oil level was about a hash mark under the top mark. I'm either burning oil which doesn't make too much sense yet or it was fine to begin with.

If the capacity is 4.2 quarts, does that mean in total or does that mean 4.2 quarts in the oil pan and a certain amount in the motor? I'm trying to figure out how it read over full right after I poured the oil in.

akiraflux
08-18-2003, 10:42 AM
you drained everything out of the car then put more in. so of course if you checked the level before starting the car it would be over. it hasn't gone into all the places oil goes and a lot also goes into the filter. if you hadn't emptied some out wouldn't it have been just about dead on the hash?

peanotation
08-18-2003, 10:47 AM
look, u can run your car with 6 quarts of oil or 3 quarts of oil for just a few minutes to get it circulated. just dont start revving it like some stupid ricer or do the indy500. its ok to just let it idle for a few minutes with really low or really high oil. next time, just let it run for a few minutes no matter how much oil u think u put it, check it on a level surface, and thats ur reading.