PDA

View Full Version : Autocrossing with the Galant

StealthGTZ
08-16-2003, 08:47 AM
If this is in the wrong forum, please move it.
I've done a search but can find little info on autocross.

Does anyone do any autocrossing with the 8G Galant?

What SCCA class is it in ?

Auto-9
08-16-2003, 06:15 PM
When I went in with mine I was put in the street manufacturer. That's where they stick everyone with little to no mods I guess.

Thud
08-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Depends on the mods you have but nationally it falls into H-Stock if it's bone stock.

I have Autocrossed mine locally in Street Tire 1 class. Got totally spanked by the other cars in the class though due to my G being totally stock with the wrong rubber for racing.

Thud

2000GTZ
08-17-2003, 03:52 AM
whats autocrossing? whats the diff between that and rallying? :?:

Auto-9
08-17-2003, 09:51 AM
Autocrossing is the little cone course that you see people running through. It's done on tarmac, and usually anyone can participate. Rallying is the off-road, mud-slinging course you see people driving on TV. It's a more of a spectactor event.

HeadAche
08-17-2003, 02:30 PM
I would love to autocross my car, but dont know of any place out here that i could do that, not including my car still has a tad bit 2 much roll in it for me..

Thud
08-18-2003, 09:23 AM
Headache the best place to start is your local SCCA group.

Or go to this SCCA Solo Page ('http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo2/index.html')

Once you find a event that is local to you, I suggest going and watching one or two before you compete. Also if you meet some of the local drivers and get some advise or go on course walks with them it's really helpful.

All that is required to race is a car with proper safety devices (seatbelt) and a Helmet (Snell95 or newer)

Thud

IMS
08-18-2003, 06:19 PM
There is also "Open Track"(Solo I) Autocross. Instead of setting up cones, you just race on a true track (or road course). For people in the midwest, check out www.blackhawkfarms.com and my.execpc.com/~mcscc

Definitely lots of fun. And you get the adrenaline pumping. Top speed I hit on the straight-a-way was 95mph. But the turns are more interesting, you can definitely make those tires squeel!

Anyone interested, let me know. I'm the only Galant out there!

Auto-9
08-18-2003, 10:51 PM
Yeah I had to go with Solo II because the closest track to me is about 2 hours away. Sure would love to be able to take on a real track...