PDA

View Full Version : Sir Manybrews...your opinion on where the restrictions are?

Auto-9
08-16-2003, 11:39 PM
So what do you think after working on these vehicles for so long? Is it the induction, exhaust, or...neither? I would be leaning towards neither from personal and observational experience, but then I think about the exhaust manifold and pre-cats. If pre-cats are only good for cold start emissions cleanup, why not have a way to bypass them after the car hits the optimal operating temperature? I'm sure I'm not the only person who's thought about this possibility, so obviously there's a feasibility flaw with this idea. Anyone have any thoughts on what it may be?

Faction
08-17-2003, 12:01 AM
hmmm, i've been working with cars for 3 years now

Edited:

00GTZ00
08-17-2003, 10:04 AM
From what I understand the cams of the car are the major restriction for us...Just an overall VERY conservitive design on mistubishi's part...

Auto-9
08-17-2003, 10:06 AM
From what I understand the cams of the car are the major restriction for us...Just an overall VERY conservitive design on mistubishi's part...

Yeah I've heard stuff about the engine design...guess I should have specified in the thread title that I was looking for his opinion the exhaust and intake https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif Those are the parts that people mess with for gains, few of us ever delve into engine internals.

manybrews
08-17-2003, 11:15 AM
i would second the cam/engine design.
the intake and exhaust arent a major issue. Its more in the tuning and engineering aspect where the car is a little slow.
Remember, the engineers need to strike a balance between power, emissions, fuel economy, and drivability. So compromises must be made.

Auto-9
08-17-2003, 01:35 PM
By the way...do you have any ideas as to why Mitsubishi decided to use such tall gear ratios? I mean most people will never reach speeds that high anyway, why not make the ratios shorter and lower the top speed to about I dunno, 110 mph. I know BMW does this with their 330 performance package, and it makes for a much quicker launch to 60. Maybe the autotranny just can't handle too short and quick of a ratio :?

manybrews
08-18-2003, 12:24 AM
fuel economy.
keep the revs low.

besides, the v6 is a torqueier motor than most of mitsus other engines. You dont need to rev the snot outta it to get the same results.

Max_Jinas
08-18-2003, 12:45 AM
i know from experience, that if the intake and exhaust pulses arent delivered in a nice rhythm then your performance goes down. It would be nice to see a variable intake system that changes the intake pulses depending on the rpm's but then again, its not a big change, but if youre going for a n/a car than it does help. Especially if you change the internals.