PDA

View Full Version : AMSS downpipe update

Auto-9
09-06-2002, 03:06 PM
While waiting on my RPW headers I decided to convert my downpipe to the 2nd gen one by adding a flex section between the front and rear banks, and welding the catalytic converter onto the pipe rather than rely on the exhaust clamp following TJC's suggestions. The end result is better than I had expected...my vibrations have gone away and my car feels stronger, especially in the high end. I'm guessing the clamp was allowing exhaust leak in the upper RPM ranges with wide open throttle, though the air sound is still present.

BGR
09-11-2002, 03:44 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you won't be able to use the downpipe with the headers, right?

Auto-9
09-11-2002, 12:00 PM
Yep yep...one or the other. I can't wait for my headers much longer...too much excitement.

T-O-P
09-11-2002, 12:38 PM
Is that still true with stock headers? Like .. You can have a downpipe with stock headers? Or do they both go to the exhaust, so it would be impossible?

pinoyesv6
09-11-2002, 12:41 PM
Is that still true with stock headers? Like .. You can have a downpipe with stock headers? Or do they both go to the exhaust, so it would be impossible?

yea u use the downpipe for the stock exhaust manifold...u can't use it with the aftermarket....

Reelax
09-11-2002, 01:48 PM

the dp replaces the precats to the flange behind the main cat. headers replace the exhaust manifolds to the flange behind the main cat. basically, the dp is part of the header.