PDA

View Full Version : CAI the hard way?

jiul
08-22-2003, 05:21 PM
So after reading all about the way CAI works, or rather not, as some posters said, I came to the conclusion that I have to take the hard way about this, and if nothing else I'll have what almost no one does ( though that may be for good reason)
I want to cut lovers in my hood, and just feed the air from as close to the TB as possible.
My questions are these: Does anyone know if there is a minimum distance that the MAS should be from the TB? Is there a minimum distance that the filter should be from the MAS?

peanotation
08-22-2003, 05:28 PM
i know the filter can be right next to the MAS if you want, because i had my ram air set up like that. it was the MAS...then the BAM! the filter. as far as the MAS near the TB, i'd think u want some distance, since the MAS is plastic and heat from the engine might fuck with the MAS over time. but i'm not sure. manybrews?

pinoyesv6
08-22-2003, 05:43 PM
another thing you'd have to worry about is water. just picture yourself driving like that in the rain.

im thinking like putting some kinda pan on the new airbox with like a drain to drain away the water so it won't go into the motor.

jiul
08-22-2003, 05:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>another thing you'd have to worry about is water. just picture yourself driving like that in the rain.

im thinking like putting some kinda pan on the new airbox with like a drain to drain away the water so it won't go into the motor.</div>

Yeah I was stinking about that but I'll jump off that bridge when I get it.
Some king of drain is a good idea, but how do I do that whithout losing too much air? Maybe drill small holes?

jiul
08-22-2003, 05:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>i know the filter can be right next to the MAS if you want, because i had my ram air set up like that. it was the MAS...then the BAM! the filter. as far as the MAS near the TB, i'd think u want some distance, since the MAS is plastic and heat from the engine might fuck with the MAS over time. but i'm not sure. manybrews?</div>

You hooked up ram air? Above the hood, did you cut the hood?
You got pics?

pinoyesv6
08-22-2003, 05:57 PM
first of all this drain would be between the hood and the MAS. safer that way.

im thinking about drilling a small hole or several small holes into the bottom of the airbox. and then on the bottom of those holes would be like breather filters or something. water will pass thru the filter. and if air were to go into the air box via that hole, because of the filter, it would be filtered.

jiul
08-22-2003, 06:17 PM
[quote="pinoyesv6"]first of all this drain would be between the hood and the MAS. safer that way.

im thinking about drilling a small hole or several small holes into the bottom of the airbox

Ok that's what I was thinking as well, did you start on this at all?