PDA

View Full Version : 2 piece JDM headlights

Stewi
08-24-2003, 08:30 PM
I got a set of JDM headlights and to my dismay they are 2 piece, not 1 piece. I did all the modifications and got them in there nice and snug, but when I put my bumper back on the bumper wouldnt fit over them right, and I have a JDM bumper. anyone know how to get these things to fit ?

pinoyesv6
08-25-2003, 10:24 AM
how does the bumper not fit over right??

Stewi
08-25-2003, 07:47 PM
The space in the front bumper for the headlights isnt large enough, the headlights seem to be too large in height to fit.

RedGalant2k1
08-25-2003, 08:06 PM
You have European headlights NOT JDMs.

pinoyesv6
08-26-2003, 10:26 AM
first of all, dave is right, they are not jdm. but yea you can find the two piece headlights in places outside of europe. i think in south america, the carribean and parts of asia.

but yea, waht i would do first is take the headlights off first and then mount the bumper. make sure that the bumper mounts in correctly. then i'd install the headlights, making the necessary adjustments.

Stewi
08-26-2003, 11:19 PM
The bumper mounts fine. I've had the bumper on my car for about 4 months with the USDM lights and its OK but there are some minor gaps.

Reelax
08-26-2003, 11:24 PM
umm, first off you didn't need to take off the bumper to get these in but anyways, where exactly is the overlap w/ the bumper. if anything you should have a gap underneath the lights and grill, not an overlap... wait do you have a '02+ galant? give me a more detailed explanation of the problem please; i know a little about the JDM headlights and i might b able to help.

Stewi
08-27-2003, 01:21 PM
I have a 99' Galant with 03' headlights. I have a minor gap on the inside of the headlight and under the headlight. When I tried installing the other headlights, they seem like they are too large, in height, top to bottom, to fit in the bumper. When I put the bumper up to them, my bumper still has to go up another inch in order to reach the mounting holes.

Reelax
08-27-2003, 01:44 PM
umm where on the headlights / grill, is it blocking the front bumper from moving up? did you cut the metal behind the gill and near the radiator rails? also im asuming you used a JDM grill since these will not fit w/ a USDM grill. on the JDM's the corners should fit perfect, it's the 2 inner mounting points that have to b modified, and if anything there will b a gap under the the grill and front inner corners of the headlight housings... US headlights get taller towards the centerline (grill) whereas JDM's go straight accross on the bottom. please give me detail. i suggest you take the lights out and replace the front bumper first then put the lights in. btw, are you using the stock bumper cover or a JDM bumper? as far as i know the bumper does not need to be modified as JDM's are wider not taller than USDM.

nystreetracing
08-27-2003, 02:43 PM
Stewi, after thinking about this problem of yours the only thing I can think of is to lower the towers of the front bumper. For all you who do not know he has the Initial V kit. If youd like to take a trip out here Brian, id be more than willing to take a look at it for you.

Reelax
08-27-2003, 02:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nystreetracing)</div><div class='quotemain'>Stewi, after thinking about this problem of yours the only thing I can think of is to lower the towers of the front bumper. Â*For all you who do not know he has the Initial V kit. Â*If youd like to take a trip out here Brian, id be more than willing to take a look at it for you.</div>

if that's the case (VIS front bumper) then hit up CALI or SILLYASINS... they both have the VIS front end w/ JDM headlights. they fit in fine since that bumper is a JDM knockoff which needs only minor modification to fit w/o major gaps.

Stewi
08-27-2003, 08:25 PM
Yeah thats not a bad idea. I gotta figure out when I can make a trip our there. Shit just doesnt seem to fit right, someone told me i have the Euro galant lights, and if that is the case im just gonna get a bumper from the Euro VR-4 and be done with the hassle.

Reelax
08-28-2003, 12:54 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stewi)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah thats not a bad idea. I gotta figure out when I can make a trip our there. Shit just doesnt seem to fit right, someone told me i have the Euro galant lights, and if that is the case im just gonna get a bumper from the Euro VR-4 and be done with the hassle.</div>

nope it's not that easy. the EURO spec and JDM spec are the same size( euro spec and JDM are collectively known as "world spec" as the US is the only country that has it's own truly unique galants made in the US [taiwain has some variants as well, but their headlights are "world spec/JDM compatible]). the 2 piece headlights are just an older version. the mounting points are identical... i almost bought 2 piece JDM's in the philippines but was concerned about not being able to find clear corners for them since those are near impossible to find. the 2 piece match up to the '96-'98 model years and the one piece are for the '98+ model years (japan model years). other countries (beside the US) got these versions of the 8G in different years.

Stewi
08-28-2003, 09:36 AM
Thats weird. These headlights are kicking my ass. I don't know how they just dont fit, i cut out the radiator support and stuff, they physically fit into the car, just not the bumper. Im gonna try taking off the bumper and seeing if i can get the lights to fit into the bumper while its not on the car, or im gonna take the easy way out and take it to my friends body shop and let him do it. If they fit or not, im gettin a new front bumper, initial V is already gettin played out here on long island. Think im gonna sport some JDM style.