PDA

View Full Version : Removing the funnel/inlet duct

Auto-9
08-24-2003, 11:15 PM
Well it would seem our theories about the main restriction being the inlet duct (known to most of us as the snorkel or the funnel) are true. We dynoed tested a V6 Eclipse on Saturday and I brought up the results in TGC Chat. It gained 3 whp and 4 wtq just from removing the air duct. Maybe a short ram is a waste of money? :puzzled1:

StealthGTZ
08-24-2003, 11:40 PM
I don't suppose you tried this while you were on the dyno:

http://www.eclipseforums.org/showthread.ph...?threadid=45491 ('http://www.eclipseforums.org/showthread.php?threadid=45491')

It would be interesting to see dyno numbers on the 3G DIY CAI/K&N OEM filter mod vs. AEM or Injen CAIs.

clone2020
08-25-2003, 12:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Well it would seem our theories about the main restriction being the inlet duct (known to most of us as the snorkel or the funnel) are true. We dynoed tested a V6 Eclipse on Saturday and I brought up the results in TGC Chat. It gained 3 whp and 4 wtq just from removing the air duct. Maybe a short ram is a waste of money? :puzzled1:</div>

Can you elaborate some more...

So short ram air is a waste? compared to CAI? or stock?

00GTZ00
08-25-2003, 06:42 AM
Just think you might of got a little more out of the intake if you removed and blocked off the rear resonater (the one back near the TB)

Auto-9
08-25-2003, 04:56 PM
Well what they had on hand was only the factory intake assembly, the factory paper filter, and an aftermarket K&N filter. The K&N honestly didn't do jack. Both it and the paper filter netted gains of about 2-3 whp and about 4 ft lbs of torque at the wheels just about everytime. That's just about a short ram's performance. The power curve without the funnel is exactly like the power curve with the inlet duct. I think he would have removed the rear resonator if he could have, but it probably wouldn't have made a difference. Just look at the factory Corvette H pipe...similar concept.