PDA

View Full Version : SKID PLATE

Lazarus
09-07-2002, 10:42 AM
Hey All I have my new Kit and I am kinda against putting it on right now because I scrape alot. but i was wondering if anyone knows of a company that can make skid plates to go underneath the front end of the car. I have seen one on an RSX that was made of Carbon fiber and I thought It was sweet but the guy that owns it is never at work.

TJC
09-07-2002, 11:05 AM
If you're talking about putting on a body kit that drops the look of the car from all around the edges (front, sides, & back), a skid plate or any kind of protective covering is useless on the bottom of the car b/c it's the body kit that's going to be below the level of the under carriage.

If you are talking about using it for slamming the car, then that's probably a good idea. A skid plate that is well designed should put the stress away from vital parts underneath and not just as a cover.

I know absolutely nothing about skid plates but those are my observations and thoughts about it.

Lazarus
09-07-2002, 11:13 AM
OK This is the front end that's on the car now and when I have to pull up onto something I hear the bottom of the kit scraping a little every time. The Reason I want the Kit is not only for looks but to keep the asphault from scratching away at the fiberglass.
http://129.2.4.218/TGC%20Files/Member%20Files/Lazarus/Pictures/11.jpg

Ghost Beat
09-07-2002, 11:44 AM
sounds like a good idea im probably gona end up getting the same kit laz are you on coils or springs? or none? im on gc coils with 18's allready dont wana run into this problem sound slike a bitch and the little things like that would convince me to not get the kit

Lazarus
09-07-2002, 03:42 PM
I am on Springs not but i am about to switch to coilovers before I put the kit on.

Ghost Beat
09-07-2002, 07:37 PM
yea thats why i went with coils i plan on getting a kit in the future when i find one i like but make sure you get kyb agx's with the coils it will make the ride a LOT better and its a preety easy install too if you plan on doing it yourself

Tiller
09-07-2002, 11:32 PM
how does your car look from the side...?

i mean, that looks rdiculously low... you could make money in the winter as a snow plow with that thing...

Tiller
09-07-2002, 11:34 PM
http://www.midatlanticgalant.com/TGC%20Files/Member%20Files/Lazarus/Pictures/5.jpg

i think you need some 18's or 19's... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

TJC
09-08-2002, 02:24 AM
I must have miss understood you. I thought the skid plate was something a little bigger and tougher, more heavy duty for like under the whole car or something. Since the picture shows your car with just a bumper and not a full body kit, and the front is much lower than the sides, if they have something that is under the front bumper lips, yeah, that will keep the asphalt from scratching it but I don't think its rigid enough to hold the whole weight of the front end of the car off of your bumper. As a matter of fact, depending how thick this skip pad is, it may actually drop your clearance even more and actually doing more damage b/c now there is additional thickness that can get pushed up into the bumper. I guess to get a really good idea what you are talking about, a picture of the product would be nice, lol.

Lazarus
09-08-2002, 04:53 PM
i think you need some 18's or 19's... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

This is what she looks like on 18's I like the Verdicts alot better but I am getting them in 18's. I don't think I can take the ride of any 19" rubberbands

TJC Yeah that is all I am concerned with is the front lip. The rest of the kit is being put on next month. I finally got a booth to work in but I shouldn't have any problems with the sides unless I hit a speed bump (knock on wood) but I only needed something to try and protect the underside of the front.

http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/camstradamus/images/driver.jpg

pinoyesv6
09-08-2002, 05:04 PM
ask the body mand if he can fabricate you something out of sheet metal. so when u scrape u don't scrape the fiberglass and make nice sparks with steel instead haha.

Lazarus
09-08-2002, 09:31 PM
ask the body mand if he can fabricate you something out of sheet metal. so when u scrape u don't scrape the fiberglass and make nice sparks with steel instead haha.

I was actually thinking about that but the guy I talk to says he doesn't deal with sheet metal. he can do Fiberglass and stuff like that but he says that he doesn't have the tools to make it a really good Job.

pinoyesv6
09-08-2002, 10:43 PM
try a metal shop, they can probably make up one. or maybe a place that deals with trucks or even another body shop. i know cars have some kinda sheet metal in them so sum1 has to know how to work with it

TJC
09-09-2002, 02:12 AM
I have a simple idea. You know skateboards have skid rails you can attach to the bottom of your board for that specific purpose. You can maybe get some of those and pop-rivet them on the bottom of your front lips. That will protect the fiberglass bumper and they are cheap and you can replace them if they wear out.

Lazarus
09-09-2002, 01:08 PM
Not a bad idea. What I did was I went to the custom shop up the road and the guy there said that they can do it for about 500 (rounded up) but that's for the Sheet Metal and also to wrap it in CF. I don't know if I want to spend 500 on that just to keep from damaing the front but the thought is there if I decide to go through with it.