PDA

View Full Version : Question about rims

Jimbo
09-07-2002, 01:24 PM
Hi, im sorry, im not that knoledgeable about rims so bear with me. A co-worker of mine has a friend that is getting rid of his rims and asked me if I was interested in buying them. I saw the pics and they looked nice, but we were not sure if they would fit. they are 17 inches and have 5 lugs but the only size that he gave me was that they were "4 1/4" (four and a quarter). And then he said that my wheel was "four and a hundred" but there was stlil a way to make them fit. First of all, what are these sizes refering to? and second of all, is there a way to make them fit, and how much would that cost to have it done by a tire shop? Thanks, sorry about my rim-ignorance. :oops:

james

Reelax
09-07-2002, 01:32 PM
i think they are reffering to the bolt pattern. our rims are 5x114.3mm or 5x"4 and a 1/2 inches". does the rim have 5 holes or 10? if it has 10 the other 5 not used may be the correct bolt pattern... 2 other numbers you have to find out are what the wheel width is (stay less than 8" to be safe, 8.5" may fit w/ some fender rolling) and the offset (stay as close to +46mm as possible) also correct tire would be 215/45zr17 or 225/40zr17 (i prefer the second although it is slightly taller than stock).

Tiller
09-07-2002, 05:34 PM
i think they are reffering to the bolt pattern. our rims are 5x114.3mm or 5x"4 and a 1/2 inches". does the rim have 5 holes or 10? if it has 10 the other 5 not used may be the correct bolt pattern... 2 other numbers you have to find out are what the wheel width is (stay less than 8" to be safe, 8.5" may fit w/ some fender rolling) and the offset (stay as close to +46mm as possible) also correct tire would be 215/45zr17 or 225/40zr17 (i prefer the second although it is slightly taller than stock).

i think you meant the 1st one is taller than stock...

i wouldn't go buying some rims off a guy unless you have all the info you need... width, offset, and bolt pattern...

GalantLadie
09-07-2002, 05:42 PM
get as much info as you can and then look up the rims to see if it will fit onto ur galant, thats what i would do.

Jimbo
09-07-2002, 07:06 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback so far. I just got some more information from the guy, he will be able to give me the full specs sometime tomorrow. It sounds like if it will fit, i will be close. This is what I know:

18 Inch Niche Chrome Wheels
Toyo 40 series low profile tires.
5 Bolts at 4 1/4
The wheel width is 8.5

He should give me the full model number sometime tomorrow, they are used but I'm getting them for very cheap because he just has them sitting around since he got new wheels. If i put these on, will it change the way my car handles at all? if so, how? Thanks again,

james

Tiller
09-07-2002, 07:35 PM
don't do it man... 8.5" is too wide... you are going to be rubbing on the inside of the tire on your suspension components... Niches are usuallly a +45mm offset, and you don't have that much room in the back...

Tiller
09-07-2002, 07:36 PM
don't do it man... 8.5" is too wide... you are going to be rubbing on the inside of the tire on your suspension components... Niches are usuallly a +45mm offset, and you don't have that much room in the back...

Reelax
09-09-2002, 01:00 PM

i think you meant the 1st one is taller than stock...

i wouldn't go buying some rims off a guy unless you have all the info you need... width, offset, and bolt pattern...

u got me i miss-typed it... the second one should have read 225/45zr17. my bad. quick rule of thumb on our fitament is best fit 225mm wide and 17"=45 series, 18"=40 series and 19"=35 series.

also the 5x4.25" bolt pattern will not work and it is not an easy orperation to adapt to it (if it can be done, it may involve new hubs and cost more than the wheels). sorry look for other wheels.