PDA

View Full Version : compression

Zander
08-26-2003, 10:30 PM
ok well my balance shaft belt broke so i replace it and tried to put it in time but still it won't start I'am pretty sure I havent bent vaules or any thing like that, but I might be wrong. Is there any way you would'ent
get compression if it was not in time right. who knows it will crank just fine but just will not start. I dont know whats wrong HhhEeeLllPpp.......

manybrews
08-26-2003, 11:19 PM
if your timing belt has broken, you have definatly bent valves.
no question about it.

JiP
08-27-2003, 12:45 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zander)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok well my balance shaft belt broke so i replace it and tried to put it in time but still it won't start I'am pretty sure I havent bent vaules or any thing like that, but I might be wrong. Is there any way you would'ent
get compression if it was not in time right. who knows it will crank just fine but just will not start. I dont know whats wrong Â*HhhEeeLllPpp.......</div>

Ur balance shaft belt broke and did it screw up the main timming belt? Assuming it did, (usually does) your screwd. On the slight change that it managed to not hit and destroy your regular timming belt I am not sure if that would cause any major damage not running the blanace shaft. No compression most likely bent valves in this scenario.

bronxbombr
08-27-2003, 08:37 AM
Sounds like you bent a few or maybe all your valves(happened to me when i was a newbie too.

MASONSTORM
08-27-2003, 01:04 PM
you bent valves bro, buy a gasket kit (upper) and sent head to a machine shop, should be easy and cheap to fix.

Zander
08-27-2003, 03:35 PM
I've heard alot of members talking about when the balance shaft belt broke the timing belt came off, but when I took every thing apart the timing belt was still on. I guess I'll pull the head don't now what to do but now's a good time to learn.

Moosh
08-27-2003, 04:10 PM
Take the valve cover off, this doesn't always work but sometimes you can see if stuff is bent or damaged.

Zander
08-29-2003, 05:16 PM
ok well has anyone ever had there balance shaft belt snap and not have to buy well have any trouble out of the values/head. just some things i was woundering about.

bronxbombr
08-29-2003, 10:55 PM
I am one

Zander
08-31-2003, 05:58 AM
well I pulled the head any came to find out that I have bent all 8 of my intake values. Not only did it bent the values it beat the shit out of my pistons I hope there not cracked or anything like that. Does any one or what I mean is can any one tell me if there any thing I need to do while I got the head pulled. thanks

manybrews
08-31-2003, 09:39 AM
the dimples that you have in your pistons are more than likely not a problem.
if you can see a crack, then a piston would need to be replaced. otherwise, just send the head to a quality machine shop and let them fix it up.

Zander
09-01-2003, 04:24 PM
ok well what I have come find out is when the balance shaft belt broke I just replace it and then try to start it thinking it was in time because I had not moved any of the gears. What must have happened is when it broke it jumped time, so after replacing the belt and cranking it that is what bent my values. so just a warning to anyone else that has or will have this problem in the future. thanks to all that helped.

Zander
09-02-2003, 05:13 PM
Well I just came from taking my head to be repaired and it going to cost me about 500 dollars, by far the most expensie head job I've ever had.
While I was down there kurt told me that when the values hit the piston if it hit close to the edge the I bent the piston and I need to tear the motor the rest of the way down and fix it if I have any doutes. Henow has me worried becaues it did hit pretty dam close to the edge but not right on the edge. Is there anyone else that has been through what I am talking about.

manybrews
09-02-2003, 07:24 PM
as I said, ive fixed hundreds of them.
unless the valve was broken off in the piston, you should be fine. a slight dimple on the piston is harmless.

you wanna post some pics, and I can tell you with more accuracy?