PDA

View Full Version : transmission

Coldshot
08-27-2003, 09:29 PM
my car just got out of the body shop after my ex wrapped the thing around a telephone pole. now the thing its doing is when i shift it out of park to reverse, it makes a strange sound, like a pop then a short hissing sound, almost like fluid is leaking out of a cooling line, but nothing is dripping on the ground. any ideas on what this could be? im gonna put the thing up on the lift tommrow at work and check things out. but other than that it seems to shift fine, it doesnt bang into gear or anything like that, just those wierd noises when i take it out of park.

second question.....i plan on doing a tranny flush/service, is there a filter on our trannys? the last time i looked at it, theres no pan on the bottom of the tranny. is the filter in the side pan? also, im thinking about using amsoil synthetic atf fluid. it says it can replace mitsubishi sp2 and sp3 fluid. is this a bad idea?

Auto-9
08-27-2003, 11:21 PM
I dunno, my car has always done that. Everytime I shift in and out of P, R, and D it makes popping, grinding, and clicking sounds. I just take it for normal since no one seems to have an opinion on it. Hopefully it is normal, it'd save the two of us some headaches (especially since it's been like that forever).

jacuZZi
08-27-2003, 11:36 PM
same thing as my car from any gear to R

peanotation
08-27-2003, 11:41 PM
wierd, u guys should get that checked out. my tranny only slightly rocks the car whenever i shift from N into any gear, either R or D. i wish we had faster trannys, i hate shifting from N into D and it takes a good second to fully get into gear.

Stewi
08-27-2003, 11:45 PM
Mine makes the same noise. I think there is a tranny fluid filter its toward the front i believe.

jacuZZi
08-27-2003, 11:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>wierd, u guys should get that checked out. my tranny only slightly rocks the car whenever i shift from N into any gear, either R or D. i wish we had faster trannys, i hate shifting from N into D and it takes a good second to fully get into gear.</div>

my car is not moving,its just make a hissing sound but other than that everything is fine :wink:

MASONSTORM
08-28-2003, 08:26 AM
the noise is your trans shift sensors activating. pretty normal on all mitsu's. the filter is on the side.