View Full Version : Reverse Glo Gauge Install tutorial

SuperDragon
08-29-2003, 09:20 AM
Obviously the link is down. Does anyone have the tutorial for 2000 Galants?

SuperDragon
08-29-2003, 02:14 PM
Anyone? I want to do these tonight...I got the ones on ebay that look exactly like ACAutotechnic's but aren't theirs lol.

When I got indiglo gauges for my Mustang, they were overlays and I taped the corners, then tapped into power source via HottWirez I had running inside the car. I just wanted to make sure that this install for a Galant didn't have any special quirks before I started.

Fishboy55
08-29-2003, 02:23 PM
OK, I'll try to help you from memory since nobody else seems to want to step up to the plate. I'm assuming the gauges you got are overlays. It's helpful to use some thin double sided tape to hold down the edges of the gauges to keep them from hitting the needles. Note: do not remove your needles to install these. Just slip them over carefully being careful not to move the needles too far or bend them. You'll use the existing screws on your stock gauges to screw these down. Also be sure not to tighten the screws too tightly or you'll break the indiglow dielectric.

As far as power, you'll be tapping into the dimmer switch to install them. Tap the red wire of the ballast into the 12 volt lead of the dimmer switch and the black wire into the ground. I can't remember the colors of the dimmer switch wiring, so you will want to use a meter to check polarity with the lights on.

As far as removing the cluster, there are two screws that hold the outer bezel on. Remove them then remove the bezel. Disconnect the dimmer switch from the bezel. Behind that are four gold screws that hold the cluster in. Remove them and be careful not to drop them or they're lost in your steering column. Slip the cluster out and remove the large connectors on each side. That's really about all there is to it.

SuperDragon
08-29-2003, 02:28 PM
So I DO have to unscrew those screws on the front of the gauges then? The Mustang didn't even have that, it was slide over the needles, tape, and wire.

Fishboy55
08-29-2003, 02:30 PM
So I DO have to unscrew those screws on the front of the gauges then? The Mustang didn't even have that, it was slide over the needles, tape, and wire.
Yep, the gauge screws hold the overlays in place. At least that's true with the AC/Autotechnic ones.

SuperDragon
08-29-2003, 02:33 PM
Ok, and to get to the gauges. Remove the two screws, pull off outer bezel, and unscrew cluster panel bezel? (from Mustang experience)

Xavier22
08-29-2003, 02:41 PM
to get to the guages, you have to remove (like chip said) the four gold/bronze screws on each corner holding the cluster in, when u remove those screws, just slide the cluster out far enough, so you can unclip the bezel on the outside edges, then unscrew the screws holdin' the guages faces in place!!! when u remove those screws, just slip the new ones over your existing ones and complete the wiring tappin' etc....! ...and be careful w/ the needles once again!!!

SuperDragon
08-29-2003, 02:45 PM
sweet, sounds easy enough. Thanks for the help you two.
Chip HAD to have thrown in that last paragraph about the cluster bezel just recently because I didn't see it the first time https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Fishboy55
08-29-2003, 02:56 PM
yea, i did https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif I realized I neede to tell you how to get the assembly out...duh!

Sorry I don't have the wire colors on the dimmer for you. The hot wire will be easy. It's the ground that's a challenge. I know there are two black wires. One is ground and one isn't.