PDA

View Full Version : Question on a Chip

Cyniket
08-31-2003, 01:01 AM
What will this chip do for my car performance wise? and is it worth the cost and effort? If you guys have any other better suggestions for chips for my car then please let me know. Heres the link to the one I am talking about.

http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?fuseac...ontrol&vaffid=0 ('http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dspparts&vL1ID=0&makeid=250&modelid=020&catyear=2000&catid=0070&pcid=514&vTitle=2000%20MITSUBISHI%20Galant%20Turbo/Nitrous/High%20Performance%20Computer%20Chip%20%2D%20Engin e%20Control&vaffid=0')

Hell while im at it I might as well get suggestions for some more tune ups for my car. This is my list of things to do as of now, Turbo and NOS is out for now, not enough money, but any minor but good upgrades is what im looking for.

Injen CAI
MSD Ignition
New Spark Plugs and wires
Change Transmission Fluid
Oil Change
New Computer Chip

Jet Black
08-31-2003, 01:52 AM
Your supposed to get a chip last, after you have all the mods you will ever want. They configure the chip to you current list of mods.

Stewi
09-06-2003, 02:49 AM
In my opinion, screw the chip, just get a piggyback module like the venom 400 it only kicks in when your on the gas hard. Just taps into the ECU really simple to install and use.

Fishboy55
09-06-2003, 05:42 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stewi)</div><div class='quotemain'>In my opinion, screw the chip, just get a piggyback module like the venom 400 it only kicks in when your on the gas hard. Just taps into the ECU really simple to install and use.</div>

Unfortunately, the Venom 400 has been proven to be as much BS as that performance chip that's for sale on ebay. There are a number of articles written about it to prove it does absolutely nothing. We even put on on the dyno locally (on a Stratus) and proved that it increased HP by a whopping zero.

As far as the Jet chip, as already stated, it should be the last mod you put on your car. At least one person here has tested it. Hardest part is the downtime to remove your ECU and ship it to Jet for them to modify.

Jet Black
09-06-2003, 09:49 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stewi)</div><div class='quotemain'>In my opinion, screw the chip, just get a piggyback module like the venom 400 it only kicks in when your on the gas hard. Just taps into the ECU really simple to install and use.</div>

All that Venom does is shorten the length you got to push your accelerator down. For example, if you push down 50%, then the car will react as if its being pushed 70% of the way. So it will feel like your going faster but in all reality its not adding any hp gains.

VIO
09-06-2003, 11:12 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet BLaK)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stewi)</div><div class='quotemain'>In my opinion, screw the chip, just get a piggyback module like the venom 400 it only kicks in when your on the gas hard. Just taps into the ECU really simple to install and use.</div>

All that Venom does is shorten the length you got to push your accelerator down. For example, if you push down 50%, then the car will react as if its being pushed 70% of the way. So it will feel like your going faster but in all reality its not adding any hp gains.</div>

that's so weak....

Mante
09-06-2003, 09:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VIO)</div><div class='quotemain'>

that's so weak....</div>

No man thats so Venon, back in the day I spent almost 3 hours with a rep from venon. He gave me impressive gains from other cars and almost garantueed it would do the same for my galant BUT when I asked him the millon dollar question " if I get this product and it does not come anywhere near the 25% increase in hp or torque can I send it back no questions ask full refund no fees" ....His reply No I then took that convo and spent the money on an FPR, cam pulleys and cam gears...gained 6 whp got rid of the lack of fuel between 70-105 mph and saved 100bucks....

Makers that have fallen by the wayside....
Venon
Weapon -R

maximus99
01-31-2005, 09:57 PM
Oh,S__T!,you mean I just wasted my money on a Weapon R short ram intake? What should I have got for a totally stock 99 Galant to get some cold air in it?

Danger DANJ
02-01-2005, 12:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maximus99)</div><div class='quotemain'>Oh,S__T!,you mean I just wasted my money on a Weapon R short ram intake? What should I have got for a totally stock 99 Galant to get some cold air in it?</div>

Weapon-R intakes aren't horrible, I mean they will perform better than leaving your stock airbox, but their quality is poor. I had the first version of their short ram intake back in the day and it rubbed on the battery post. It almost rubbed a complete hole into it. I would like to think their current versions fit better, but I don't know of anyone who has dared to buy a Weapon-R intake since those days.

By the way, a short ram intake doesn't suck in cold air, only a cold air intake does that... like one from Injen, AEM, K&N, Falken, etc..

Lootrock
02-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Weapon R works out fine for me, but you might have the switch one of the couplers to a different size. NO big deal real, fit perfect for me once I did that. Weapon R isn't as bad as people make it seem :/

maximus99
02-01-2005, 02:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maximus99)</div><div class='quotemain'>Oh,S__T!,you mean I just wasted my money on a Weapon R short ram intake? What should I have got for a totally stock 99 Galant to get some cold air in it?</div>

Weapon-R intakes aren't horrible, I mean they will perform better than leaving your stock airbox, but their quality is poor. I had the first version of their short ram intake back in the day and it rubbed on the battery post. It almost rubbed a complete hole into it. I would like to think their current versions fit better, but I don't know of anyone who has dared to buy a Weapon-R intake since those days.

By the way, a short ram intake doesn't suck in cold air, only a cold air intake does that... like one from Injen, AEM, K&N, Falken, etc..</div>Looks like I may be changing it out later then.All my searches for a 99 Galant GTZ V6 only turned up one Injen and one Weapon R to choose from,& the Weapon R was about $100 less

cardude03
02-01-2005, 02:55 PM
sort of off-topic, but i just wanted someone to clarify for me...do they sell CAI extensions for Injen short rams?

maximus99
02-01-2005, 03:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cardude03)</div><div class='quotemain'>sort of off-topic, but i just wanted someone to clarify for me...do they sell CAI extensions for Injen short rams?</div>How about for that Weapon R,too,then? :wink:

pinoyesv6
02-01-2005, 05:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cardude03)</div><div class='quotemain'>sort of off-topic, but i just wanted someone to clarify for me...do they sell CAI extensions for Injen short rams?</div>

injen discontinued the CAi extension for our cars. you might be able to find an injen dealer that still has some in stock though

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maximus99)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cardude03)</div><div class='quotemain'>sort of off-topic, but i just wanted someone to clarify for me...do they sell CAI extensions for Injen short rams?</div>How about for that Weapon R,too,then? :wink:</div>

no

Lootrock
02-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Maximus, I think you will be pleased with Weapon R intake, I love the sound. Besides a cold air intake isn't really necessary early on anyway.

maximus99
02-01-2005, 07:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lootrock)</div><div class='quotemain'>Maximus, I think you will be pleased with Weapon R intake, I love the sound. Besides a cold air intake isn't really necessary early on anyway.</div>Thats good news.As long as I can hear it thru the totally stock exhaust https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Danger DANJ
02-01-2005, 09:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maximus99)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lootrock)</div><div class='quotemain'>Maximus, I think you will be pleased with Weapon R intake, I love the sound. Besides a cold air intake isn't really necessary early on anyway.</div>Thats good news.As long as I can hear it thru the totally stock exhaust https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif</div>

Oh, you'll definitely hear it. The Weapon-R short ram was louder and throatier than my AEM cold air intake.

Another thing was that the MAS adapter that came with my Weapon-R didn't fit. I had to take a dremel to it to get it on.

I remember some time ago, Weapon-R had some sort of cold air add on for their Dragon cone filters. It was basically a piece that attached to the filter and then from there a hose, which looked like a dryer hose, would extend to an openeing in your bumper to let in cold air. It looked like something you could build yourself with a trip to Home Depot and a few bucks.

maximus99
02-02-2005, 12:04 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maximus99)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lootrock)</div><div class='quotemain'>Maximus, I think you will be pleased with Weapon R intake, I love the sound. Besides a cold air intake isn't really necessary early on anyway.</div>Thats good news.As long as I can hear it thru the totally stock exhaust https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif</div>

Oh, you'll definitely hear it. The Weapon-R short ram was louder and throatier than my AEM cold air intake.

Another thing was that the MAS adapter that came with my Weapon-R didn't fit. I had to take a dremel to it to get it on.

I remember some time ago, Weapon-R had some sort of cold air add on for their Dragon cone filters. It was basically a piece that attached to the filter and then from there a hose, which looked like a dryer hose, would extend to an openeing in your bumper to let in cold air. It looked like something you could build yourself with a trip to Home Depot and a few bucks.</div>well,I'm hoping they've made some improvements since then.We'll see what I end up with :roll: