PDA

View Full Version : No Oil?? Please Help!

Digital Wanksta
08-31-2003, 05:35 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm new the the board.. I'm looking into buying a 1995 Galant S w/ 75k miles, all power, cruise, cd player, etc.. The guy is asking $3,300 for it, but he said he is flexible. I went to test drive it, and I parked it somewhere, popped the hood, checked the oil dip stick, and found the car to be 2qts low! The car never smokes when you start it, has no oil leak to my knowledge.. Where is the oil going? My dad won't let me get it unless I can figure out why it's low.. The owner is VERY good about getting the oil changed every 3k miles, and it's due for one now.. My only concern is, why is it this low? Do you think it just recently had a faulty oil plug or something?

Any whoot, all help would be appericated.. I'm in love with this car, and want it very bad.. However, I can't get it unless I figure this problem out.. It's the only problem with the car..

Thanks guys!

Digital Wanksta
08-31-2003, 08:10 PM
Please help.. I'm under a time constraint https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif Do you guys think I would be fine purchasing it, putting oil in it with maybe a lucus additive and seeing what that does? My dad and I are just uneasy about buying it.. We don't know how long it's been droven with low oil..

manybrews
09-01-2003, 09:38 AM
94 to 96 galants were pretty bad about using oil. the main culprit was slightly out-of-round cylinders.

the only real fix is to have the block bored. HOWEVER, that is the only issue with them. the life of the block is not reduced, unless of course you run the engine out of oil (which it sounds like he may have done once or twice).

ALL cars use oil, some faster than others. its irresponsable for this guy to not even check his oil, so I would say he runs it low regularly.

Digital Wanksta
09-01-2003, 09:51 AM
I agree with you.. However, I looked on his recpit from his last oil change, and they said they drained 4qts out (that's what was put in) So unless he has the wrong dip stick, and it's not reading right, he is taking it in today, and they are changing the oil and we'll see how much comes out.. I'll keep you posted.. He is calling me later today.

Also, to fix this problem, how extensive is this? As far as cost, and labor..

Thanks!

Moosh
09-01-2003, 11:23 AM
Its really expensive, they have to take your whole engine apart do the work, then put it all back together. Don't buy that car! By the time you fix it you will have spent like $6000! I am sure you can find another Galant in better condition!

Digital Wanksta
09-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Ouch.. Well, we'll see what they say today.. He is taken it in to have the oil changed, and he is going to tell them that it's showing VERY LOW on the dip stick.. So if they drain like 4qts out (which is the amount put in) then we will know that either the dip stick is wrong, or there is just a blokage there and the dip stick isn't being able to show the correct amount..

However, I fell in love with this car.. It's the first Galant I looked at, and I have now looked all around and can't find another one.. Hopefully, something will show up..

But who knows, if they drain the proper amount, then everything should be fine, right?

Thanks

Digital Wanksta
09-01-2003, 05:08 PM
Well, I let her go.. I told him I would have to pass on it.. Hope I don't end up kicking myself for it..

Moosh
09-02-2003, 01:01 PM
Trust me man, you did the right thing. You love the car but if ter the engine goes in two months it would of totally ruin your mood for along time as well as put a hole in your pocket.