PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter questions

Moosh
09-01-2003, 01:23 PM
Hey guys. I searched around but didn't find any relevent information. I wanted to know what oil filters you guys are using? I went to Pepboys and for some reason the 4G64 Galant oil filters are SMALL as HECK. The biggest one was the FRAM, so that is what I bought. The FRAM is also nice because it has that nice grip end.

Does anyone know of bigger oil filters for the 4G64 Galant 1994-
1998?

Also does anyone know where I can buy like a box of oil filters in bulk so I can save money on them, thanks.

brandon
09-01-2003, 04:04 PM
I use Mobil 1 oil and filters... yeah the filter is small.

Ositoyb
09-01-2003, 06:42 PM
FireStone, also has small oil filters. But i had asked a manager there(a close frend of mine) abou WHY the Oil Filters they sold were A LOT SMALLER than the Fram oil filters, and he told me that it Wasn't THAT big a deal.....unless you were using your car other than a Daily Driver. I for one am not going to be pushing my car that hard anymore, i'm going for looks, for now!!!

Moosh
09-01-2003, 07:13 PM
I just learned that the 1991 turbo eclipse filter from the dealership is a lot bigger than the galant ones, I think I will buy them from now on since their quality is very high also.

AlucarD777
09-02-2003, 04:36 AM
I use K&N oil filers.

VypA
09-02-2003, 04:25 PM
this may be a dumb question..... but y do you want a bigger filter?

MidNightRacing
09-03-2003, 07:21 PM
this may be a dumb question..... but y do you want a bigger filter?

Exactly what I was thinking.

i use mobile 1

pinoyesv6
09-04-2003, 01:04 PM
manybrews was talking about this in the 8g forum a few weeks ago. the mitsu motors have the same size thread on the oil filter. the only difference is the case. some cars need smaller filters because there just simply isn't any room for them. when there is room, cars can take advantage of of the bigger filter.

but why do u want a bigger filter? with the bigger filter, there is a bigger filtering surface. so yea, the filtering element doesn't get as dirty, pre square inch or so if you have more filtering area while filtering the same amount as maybe one with a smaller filtering element. does that mean you can run longer without without changing the oil. yea, kinda sorta, but i do recommend changing it anyways since its just one lil extra step when changing your oil.

MidNightRacing
09-04-2003, 06:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>manybrews was talking about this in the 8g forum a few weeks ago. the mitsu motors have the same size thread on the oil filter. the only difference is the case. some cars need smaller filters because there just simply isn't any room for them. when there is room, cars can take advantage of of the bigger filter.

but why do u want a bigger filter? with the bigger filter, there is a bigger filtering surface. so yea, the filtering element doesn't get as dirty, pre square inch or so if you have more filtering area while filtering the same amount as maybe one with a smaller filtering element. does that mean you can run longer without without changing the oil. yea, kinda sorta, but i do recommend changing it anyways since its just one lil extra step when changing your oil.</div>

wouldn't you have to add a little bit more oil for a bigger filter?

pinoyesv6
09-04-2003, 07:09 PM
yea you do have to add a lil bit more oil to fill up the bigger oil filter. but its not a big difference, its not like ur adding another bottle of oil into the car

Moosh
09-04-2003, 09:00 PM
I'm not doing this because I am trying to prolongue going without oil changes. I am just sickened by the size of the 7G oil filter sizes I have seen, ESPECIALLY the firestone one which is like 3-4 inches long