PDA

View Full Version : Bad Electrical Probs Help??

IMRAW2000
09-01-2003, 10:30 PM
ok heres the story i just bought a 1996 Galant es fully loaded for $600 car is in beautiful condition no rust for ny thats amazing it only has 96000 miles on it . Well the previous owner gave up on it he replaced the distributer twice the car starts up and then shuts off wich is really odd its getting the right fuel pressure and good spark and compression well i figured it had to be electrical because i turned on the lights and nothing so i changed the light fuse under the hood and they worked but not the high beams the horn dosent work either i was getting mad so i went through the car looking at all the wires and i noticed that the drivers side window control panel wires were melted in the connector i cut the wires and tried to start the car no luck but the starter turned alot faster so i moved my attention to the ECU i registered the car at www.alldatadiy.com and went through the troubleshooting through there to my amazement i never looked at the check engine light it was never lighting up i pulled the ecu and opened it up Burned compasitor so im gonna take it to my buddy that owns a tv repair shop (lol) to see if he can replace it but ill probly have to buy a new 1 is there any electrical info anyone can give me on this car from personal knowledge?

Moosh
09-02-2003, 12:58 PM
I have never heard of a Galant having electrical problems (on a stock setup) let alone the kinds you are having. Its weird that your window harness was melted..... the good news is you can buy new harnesses and stuff, replace or fix the bad ecu for about $100-$300 depending on which harnesses you need and if the ECU is repairable or need replacement. (This is NOT considering labor as you are probably gonna do it yourself). If I were you I would go look at all of your engine harness wiring/connectors see if there is anything melted or damaged before you put a new ECU in.

IMRAW2000
09-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Thanx i went through the wireing under the hood every thing looks normal i went through the whole car again.. every thing looks fine i had the ecu doctered up at an electric shop 2 zener diods were blown i got the parts off an old ecu from an eclipse i turned the key and still no check engine light the guy who fixed the ecu said that one of the chips on the board were most likley shorted because it was a 6v 10amp zener dioed that was blown so i ordered a new ecu from ebay for $125 frome limestone PA. hopfully this will be the end of a headache. if not ill have to get my hands on a MUT II. And if anyone needs 4g63 parts let me know cause im parting out a 1992 eagle talon non turbo https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) hedlight's markers sensors relays...etc.