PDA

View Full Version : Cutting the grille

Auto-9
09-07-2002, 08:36 PM
I am about to install my front grille VR-4 emblem, but wanted to ask for opinions first...as of right now my car, being a 2001 silver ES, has the chrome grille. Think I should buy a body colored grille for 100 bucks and then cut the teeth out, or do you think the chrome would be fine? I can't really decide...on one hand the chrome isn't irritating me as badly as the finish molding did (which was why I spent 80 bucks on changing it) but on the other hand I'm going for as close to authentic as possible. Having a hard to justifying the cost of getting a color-keyed grille is what I'm trying to say in a nutshell. Also, once that's taken care of...is a mesh really necessary to place behind the grille, or is it more for aesthetics? If it's not really necessary I'm also having a difficult time deciding whether or not to put in a black mesh...maybe I'll get all this taken care of at the Texas meet, but might as well ask opinions now, and if it can be taken care of I might be able to show up at the meet with the work already done so that pics can be taken.

LantBoy99
09-08-2002, 12:17 PM
Hey man I would paint it the same color as the car. The cleaner lookin the better right? I woud put mesh behind there also cuz if you dont youll see all the ugly things behind your grille if you cut out them slats. So if you are cutting the slats yeah put mesh behind it, if not then dont. Ive done this before and everyone loves my grille. I like it way better then it was stock. I wanna see some pics when your done man! Hope I helped!

pinoyesv6
09-08-2002, 04:25 PM
take the oem grille, cut out the teeth, paint it. then apply a black grille mesh not only for a more authentic look but as an added layer of protection from road debris and such...

Auto-9
09-09-2002, 12:06 PM
Now to find me a good quality auto mesh...if they even exist.

pinoyesv6
09-09-2002, 03:58 PM
Now to find me a good quality auto mesh...if they even exist.

APC makes some. uhm i remember machv having some. gutter mesh is pretty decent, ur gonna paint it anyways. uhm since ur doing the top grille, if u can find a mesh for another car for hella cheap u can probably cut that up, if the other car's grille is larger than the galants...

Reelax
09-09-2002, 05:01 PM
IMHO fake badging is worse than no badging. if ur car was twin turbo w/ AWD, AYC w/ JDM HID, then a VR4 emblem would look ok almost, but on a US spec FWD ES V6, i'd leave it off. if u wanted to look authentic, u could buy mochages front end and some JDM headlights.

BGR
09-09-2002, 09:37 PM
IMHO fake badging is worse than no badging.

You're funny Rani. :lauging: I like my no badges. I don't need no stinkin' badges.

Auto-9
09-09-2002, 11:15 PM
All in good time https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Dominicano
09-10-2002, 07:56 AM
i have been trying to find, perforated sheet metal but i can not find it anywhere like the GMC trucks i think they look way better then mesh, does anyone here know where to find that?

pinoyesv6
09-10-2002, 09:30 AM
i have been trying to find, perforated sheet metal but i can not find it anywhere like the GMC trucks i think they look way better then mesh, does anyone here know where to find that?

try some of those truck tuning shops. uhm they might have some universal stuff or maybe u can get some off maybe another truck for hella cheap and u can just cut that up