PDA

View Full Version : BYO intake findings...

Sowndwayv
09-08-2002, 11:54 AM
i finally got around to flippin the airbox on my es14 and gettin it to fit, and i can hear a difference. but the deeper sound is only present around the 3000 rpm in second gear and above.. when im in neutral or first it all sounds the same when i get to the higher rpms..is everyone elses results from ths do it yourself mod the same? also, if i was ot purchase the k&n filter to fit in the box, would there be another slight change in sound?..i think imma try to secure the filter and flip it sot he filter is facing downwards..as another member reported had a lil bit of a difference.

Supernova
09-08-2002, 12:15 PM
I did this mod yesterday with the stock filter and I got the same results as you did. The better sound is only preasent at higher rpms(2500 or so and up). I plan to put a k&n filter in but I don't know yet. I want to know if I fliped it over again and secured the filter what that would do.

Oh, what is your idle rmp in drive since your fliped the air box? Mines about 600.

Sowndwayv
09-08-2002, 12:47 PM
Oh, what is your idle rmp in drive since your fliped the air box? Mines about 600.

when warmed up my idle rpm in drive is about 750, but ionno if any of that attributes to the flipped airbox, cuz i did mess with the throttle body before

Supernova
09-08-2002, 01:51 PM

when warmed up my idle rpm in drive is about 750, but ionno if any of that attributes to the flipped airbox, cuz i did mess with the throttle body before

Hopefully i'll tinker with the throttle body today to get the idle rpms a little higher.

Kingman
09-09-2002, 05:34 PM
my v6 actually kinda has a little bit more sound than it did stock even at idle. Sounds like it inhaling, but at 3000+ rpm it generates a good tone.

pinoyesv6
09-09-2002, 08:10 PM
my intake is the loudest when i shift into reverse. it sounds like u are breathing with ur mouth wide open. uhm, i definitely felt a peformance boost with the k&n too

BGR
09-09-2002, 08:42 PM
i finally got around to flippin the airbox on my es14 and gettin it to fit, and i can hear a difference. but the deeper sound is only present around the 3000 rpm in second gear and above.. when im in neutral or first it all sounds the same when i get to the higher rpms..is everyone elses results from ths do it yourself mod the same? also, if i was ot purchase the k&n filter to fit in the box, would there be another slight change in sound?..i think imma try to secure the filter and flip it sot he filter is facing downwards..as another member reported had a lil bit of a difference.

You should want it to sound like this. Who wants a loud sounding car all the time? I'm quite sure all intake systems are like this; no noticeable difference in the low RPM's but screaming when the RPM's goes higher.

Having the K&N will not make the sound change any more than the stock filter. The advantage of the K&N is that it's not as restrictive as the paper filter and it can be reused over and over again. Save's a lot of money in the long run as 3 paper filters will cost just as much as 1 K&N, which will last the lifetime of your car. Power gain of K&N vs paper? Probably so small you wouldn't even notice.

galant2kde
09-09-2002, 09:20 PM
secure the K&N and flip it towards the ground its the way to go, semi cold air intake...