PDA

View Full Version : Rims & Winter Time....

Calipso
09-07-2003, 12:13 AM
What do you guys do for your rims in the winter time (You people affected by snow on the east coast). Do you guys just throw your stock rims/hubcaps back on or what? I don't wanna ruin my white rims but it's a pain to get them off myself and then throw the old set back on.

My stock rims and tires have like no tread so I can't afford to put them back on. Do you guys constantly clean your rims and brakes in the winter?

Ghost Beat
09-07-2003, 12:22 AM
personaly i take mine off, i got snow tires on my stocks so those go on i make trips to the mountains for snowboarding, and i sure as hell am not riding up there with my rims on. most people i know take them off but i do know someone who left his on and regreted the decision.

peanotation
09-07-2003, 12:24 AM
sorry for my ignorance, but whats the big deal with leaving rims on with snow, does the snow actually scratch up the wheels? just wondering.

pinoyesv6
09-07-2003, 12:36 AM
i keep my good wheels on the car year round. if they mess up, they mess up.

as why to take them off, there are a few reasons. first of all the tires. many times your low profile high peforamcne tires don't do as well in winter conditions compared to your stock tires.

potholes and such, low profile tires, less room for error. so yea, you don't have to worry as much about potholes and problems from them with the stock wheels.

also, salt sand and whatever else they put on the ground can affect the finish of your wheels. salt sand etc are abrasive.

CWolf
09-10-2003, 11:27 AM
Hey Calipso, I would suggest switching yours out, though having no tread would be a problem. You have white rims like I do, and if they're anything like mine, they show everything, dirt, brake dust, and most likely abrasions and discoloration from salt as well. I'm putting my stock alloys back on when I go home for fall break.

delo
09-12-2003, 10:56 AM
I left mine on last winter and the chrome part on the inside of the rims got messed up. but oh well. wont keep switching them back and forth now. they already messed up somewhat. the outside of the rim still looks good, which is the part that people see.

galant00
09-12-2003, 11:03 AM
i suggest you take them off.. its not worth the risk. i say better safe than sorry...

GalantT3
09-15-2003, 09:59 AM
Take them off you will ruin your rims!!! I thought I could just keep them on and try not to drive when it snows or something but something always happened where I had to drive the fuckin the car and now the rims glossy shine is gone. Even though I made sure I washed the rims clean right away. I learned the hard way and I will never be stupid like that again!! Take them off!

PS. Dont you wish you lived in one of those states where you can keep your rims on all year around!! Its a pain to take them off!! :oops:

VIO
09-15-2003, 02:08 PM
you should take off your rims and put the stocks back on but if you really want to keep them on you can put a really thick coat of wax on them during the winter. you'll have to re-apply the wax every 1 to 2 weeks if the weather is really bad and there's a lot of salt.

xSILENTx
09-15-2003, 08:11 PM
i got a set of pepboys ensure rims with snow tires for the winter. really cheap and they look alright.

sleepagalant
09-15-2003, 09:03 PM
take it from me put your stock rims back on.... left mine on last year when we had the blizzard well after the snow melt we had some huge ass potholes .... well lets just say i lost two of my 18 rims due to those potholes :cry: