PDA

View Full Version : ATF Filter

T.S.
09-08-2002, 12:18 PM
I was reading through the ATF Change tutorial and its talking about changing the filter and hand tightening it without taking any other parts off almost like an oil filter, but the ATF filter I just got from the dealership is flat rectangular one like most I have seen, has nothing to "hand tighten", and doesnt seems to be located anywhere external, on my last car I had to take the pan off to change it, I am pretty sure I will have to do the same for this, but I thought I would check here and make sure im not just crazy or blind first.

Tutorial says you don't need to remove the pan....

TJC
09-08-2002, 12:30 PM
Unless they changed the design on your year that I don't know about. If you look under the stock air box, there should be a round canister filter just like the oil filter that's labeled "A/T Only" right on top of it. There is also an internal filter in the oil pan from what I've been told but if you have the external one also, that's the only one you need to change. What year is your Galant and are you sure they didn't give you the air filter by mistake? The air filter is rectangle. Manybrews, can you clear this up?

T.S.
09-08-2002, 12:42 PM
Unless they changed the design on your year that I don't know about. If you look under the stock air box, there should be a round canister filter just like the oil filter that's labeled "A/T Only" right on top of it. There is also an internal filter in the oil pan from what I've been told but if you have the external one also, that's the only one you need to change. What year is your Galant and are you sure they didn't give you the air filter by mistake? The air filter is rectangle. Manybrews, can you clear this up?

I have a 2001, they must have changed the design, or i'm blind, I know its an internal ATF filter not an air filter that they gave me, its just like one from my last car. Here are a couple pics.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid31/p9df3daed0caf982c387191bb43ae652b/fd4bc6ae.jpghttp://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid31/paac56d149235994f5af75c7e0a784cf0/fd4bc6ad.jpg

manybrews
09-08-2002, 01:52 PM
on the 99 to 2000 models, there were 2 filters.. one internal (the one in the photo), and one external (which is not on yours).
the internal filter cannot be changed without a total teardown. it is NOT located behind the pan on the side of the trannies, but inside the case halfs.
they deleted the external filter on the 2001 cars.
the internal filter is basically "non-servicable". just drain and fill the fluid.

do NOT use anything but mitsu fluid.

T.S.
09-08-2002, 03:04 PM
on the 99 to 2000 models, there were 2 filters.. one internal (the one in the photo), and one external (which is not on yours).
the internal filter cannot be changed without a total teardown. it is NOT located behind the pan on the side of the trannies, but inside the case halfs.
they deleted the external filter on the 2001 cars.
the internal filter is basically "non-servicable". just drain and fill the fluid.

do NOT use anything but mitsu fluid.

Thanks for the info, guess I wont be needing that filter.....

So would AMSOIL full synthetic fluid be bad? I already have it here, Its "supposed to" exceed the Mitsubishi Diamond SP II & III standards.

manybrews
09-08-2002, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the info, guess I wont be needing that filter.....

So would AMSOIL full synthetic fluid be bad? I already have it here, Its "supposed to" exceed the Mitsubishi Diamond SP II & III standards.
i REALLY must emphasize not using anything but mitsu fluid.
the "meets or exceeds" print is not true.

any other fluid is probably going to cause poor shifting and shuddering of the torque converter.

TJC
09-08-2002, 07:07 PM
I just checked my references for both of the transmissions, F4A42 & F4A51 used on 99-01 vehicles and they all have that same type of internal non-servicable filter. Thanks manybrews for clearing this up. Looks like I have to change my tutorial to specifically say it's only for '99-'00 Galants :wink:

BlueESV6
09-09-2002, 08:33 PM
I have a 2000 model and do NOT have an external filter on mine. So I guess some 2000's don't have the external ones either....

The dealership told me some people were "confused" by the external filter since it was the same size as the oil filter.

:wink:

TJC
09-10-2002, 07:06 PM
I have a 2000 model and do NOT have an external filter on mine. So I guess some 2000's don't have the external ones either....

The dealership told me some people were "confused" by the external filter since it was the same size as the oil filter.

:wink:

Hahaha. That's too bad. The external filter is so easy to service; I love it. Plus if you can't read "A/T Only" on top of it, guess you don't deserve to have an external servicable filter, hehe. :mrgreen: