PDA

View Full Version : drum to disk?

stryker204
09-07-2003, 02:50 PM
dose anyone kno if the tutorial for drum to disk of the 2nd gen eclipse would also work on the 7th gen galant?
thanx
jeff

stryker204
09-14-2003, 09:22 PM
ttt

peanotation
09-14-2003, 09:26 PM
where is this tutorial?

cnewett99
09-14-2003, 09:31 PM
what up man.
im tryin to the same thing for mine. i havent looked around much yet but i was wonderin wheres a good place to buy them cuz i need all new breaks anyway so i figured id just get all disk if i could. if you get a chance i need to know what i need to buy before i do all this cuz im pretty much clueless when it comes to this shit.

-chirs

peanotation
09-16-2003, 01:57 PM
:?: :?:

baadhabit
09-18-2003, 11:46 AM
maybe this'll help
http://4g64.150m.com/rearbrakeconv.html ('http://4g64.150m.com/rearbrakeconv.html')

jluv97
09-19-2003, 07:58 AM
Is the lug pattern different on the eclipses?

onefastcavi
09-23-2003, 11:32 PM
eclipse = 5 lug

Blue Ice
09-08-2004, 07:45 PM
{RESURRRRRRRECTION}

Ok if the rear drums change to 5 lug after this conversion, how do you change the frmt to 5 lug

RedGalant2k1
09-08-2004, 09:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'>{RESURRRRRRRECTION}

Ok if the rear drums change to 5 lug after this conversion, how do you change the frmt to 5 lug</div>

Replace the entire hub assembly that has a 5-lug bolt circle on it. In this case one from a 2G Eclipse.

Blue Ice
09-12-2004, 11:40 PM
Has anyone done this conversion. I was talking to a friend who has done brake work on another make and model. He'll probably help me do this, but he was wondering if i'll need new calipers for the front. if the old calipers will fit over the eclipse rotor.

I'm not too sure of what i'm talking about, so any help would be appreciated. maube even a tutorial. I found the rear conversion, just wondering about the front now.

GPTourer
09-14-2004, 02:25 PM
I'm interested in doing this too. I have a '97 LS and though I want rims for the car, I don't want to buy 4 on 4.5's. 5 on 4.5's are much more widely used in case I want to sell the rims later or I sell the car and want to use the rims on something else.

Apparently, Galants were available with rear discs up until '94. Maybe somebody with a GS can chime in. So, what I'm wondering is if you can use Eclipse rotors with Galant calipers.

I have a '98 GS-T and my previous plan was to upgrade the brakes on that car with a whole new front kit. Then take the stock GS-T brakes and put them on my G, then do some sort of upgrade on the rear of to get rid of the drums so that I can have 5x114.3 on both cars. The part numbers for GS-T and LS calipers DO NOT match. My question is, can Eclipse rotors be used with Galant calipers?

pinoyesv6
09-14-2004, 03:16 PM
i checked out the dealer catalog and i looked up the part numbers for the calipers on the 95 galant and eclipse and the part numbers matched. you just gotta make sure you get the ones from the fwd cars.

JiP
09-14-2004, 05:07 PM
all of you goto: http://www.4g64.com/modules.php?op=modload...oads&file=index ('http://www.4g64.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index')

Download the CAPS program. Caps will let you look up whatever part numbers for prety much any year car from 89-99 (maybe 2k) and then you can compare for urself if part numbers are the same from a 2g eclipse as a 7g galant, then they fit.

PDFS are the mitsubishi manuals for the 2g eclipse/spyder. Vast majority of the information on the Spyder 4g64 is our engine, except for the ignition system. It all comes in handy, 420a info is in there too if anyone is interested, but the pdfs are a bitch to look through cause the table of contents sucks. But hey its free.

seth98esT
09-14-2004, 05:14 PM
Turbo 2g eclipse used 2 piston calipers, ours are one piston. But I do believe we can use the duel piston calipers on our galant. Just have to swap the right with the left and vice versa...

GPTourer
09-14-2004, 05:41 PM
i checked out the dealer catalog and i looked up the part numbers for the calipers on the 95 galant and eclipse and the part numbers matched. you just gotta make sure you get the ones from the fwd cars.

Yeah my Eclipse is FWD. But turbo brakes must be bigger then N/A's, thus a different caliper. I had thought that only the GSX/AWD's had the two piston calipers.

Here is the upgrade I was planning on my GS-T:

http://www3.smart.net/~extreme/g2cat/brake.htm ('http://www3.smart.net/~extreme/g2cat/brake.htm')

It's halfway down the page and a lot cheaper then the AEM package I was eyeballing. And the Wilwood, Brembo, Stoptech options are just way out of my price range. I figure some of you guys might be interested. I'll find out what I can get stock GSX calipers for tomorrow. But Baer has that aftermarket upgrade look that may be too hard to pass up.

GtrickinN12
09-14-2004, 06:25 PM
i was thinkin about doing the same thing. i also own a 1st gen talon and i was think about takin the rear calipers off it and puttin in my galant. the talons breaking system is pretty good.

GtrickinN12
09-19-2004, 12:11 PM
i know you can take Acuras big caliper systems and throw them on civics.
plz touch back.

jusblaze
09-19-2004, 09:30 PM
The only thing that bothers me is that you will need to get two different types of rims for the front and back because the front brakes are a 4 lug, and if you do this then ur rear is a 5 lug which means if you buy rims they will look real weird at least to me that is...

seth98esT
09-19-2004, 09:49 PM
THen just do the 5lug conversion for the front as well :wink:

JiP
09-19-2004, 10:51 PM
The only thing that bothers me is that you will need to get two different types of rims for the front and back because the front brakes are a 4 lug, and if you do this then ur rear is a 5 lug which means if you buy rims they will look real weird at least to me that is...

Like Seth said your suposed to grab the eclipse front hubs which makes your front 5 lug as well.

Blue Ice
09-20-2004, 11:22 PM
my friend suggested, just go to advanced auto parts or wherever, and buy the stck set up for gst in all corners of the car and replace everything with new parts. It all should just bolt right up, and it will all be brand new,then later get into upgrading the calipers and roters. plan to buy everything this week, but may be next year before i put any of it on, i'd still have to get 5lug wheels. :roll:

JiP
09-20-2004, 11:53 PM
You need a new ebrake cable setup too

Blue Ice
09-27-2004, 09:36 PM
ok, went to Adv auto this weekend, looked up parts and got a few.

I looked up parts for 97 GST, ordered the front and rear hub assembly, and ordered rear calipers.
I did a cross reference on front caliper part numbers 97 GST and 94 G. Pt#'s were the same.

Looking into upgraded roters, instead of just stock ones, any suggestions?

Gonna go back and get stainless cables and speedbleeders.

SamirDarji
10-02-2004, 03:43 AM
A Baer big brake upgrade for the front is available for under $1k. I have it installed and it's sweet. It's a 2nd gen Eclipse kit, but with 4 lug rotors vs 5 lug. Everything bolted right on. The entire install was only 4 hours. Now I have c4 Corvette/Mustang cobra brakes on the front of my Galant. :twisted: 13.1" rotors with 2 piston PBR calipers. :twisted:

And for the rear, I have a friend with a 95 GS that came with 4 wheel discs, so that should bolt right up if you replace the spindle. I'm planning to do that at some point, but can't afford to right now. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

gontlent2
10-02-2004, 10:10 AM
I thought the 7g galant came with all wheel disc brakes from the factory except for the s galant which is the lowest model galant they make?

pinoyesv6
10-02-2004, 10:30 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gontlent2)</div><div class='quotemain'>I thought the 7g galant came with all wheel disc brakes from the factory except for the s galant which is the lowest model galant they make?</div>

no, its the other way around. all 7g galants come with drum brakes in the rear from the factory except for the GS which is like the highest model galant they make

SamirDarji
10-02-2004, 12:00 PM
Actually, disc was not available at all on 1996 models. My factory service manual doesn't refer to them at all and there are no 1996 rear disc parts available. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Blue Ice
10-06-2004, 04:30 PM
I set out for the jy to find the rear disk mounts of a 2 gen eclipse, when i found the tranny. i didn't see any 2g's but i saw a ton of 1g's. funny thing is every engine and tranny from the 1g's were missing.... imagine that. But they all were manual. but any way back to the brakes... I'm not too sure that a 1g disk setup will fit a 7 gen galant. 1g disks appear to be a different angle than the 2g's. I took pics, but don't have a way to post them.

seth98esT
10-06-2004, 05:06 PM
I really doubt 1g hub/brake assembly will fit on our 7gs...

GPTourer
10-19-2004, 08:20 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SamirDarji)</div><div class='quotemain'>A Baer big brake upgrade for the front is available for under $1k. Â*I have it installed and it's sweet. Â*It's a 2nd gen Eclipse kit, but with 4 lug rotors vs 5 lug. Â*Everything bolted right on. Â*The entire install was only 4 hours. Â*Now I have c4 Corvette/Mustang cobra brakes on the front of my Galant. Â* :twisted: Â*13.1" rotors with 2 piston PBR calipers. Â* :twisted: Â*
</div>

Woah, cool man you are in Hunstville. I went to UAH. I remember those TAC guys now - at the time I wasn't into performance at all. I also remember when Sound on Wheels had their speed annex and the per4mance guys were building up - whatever became of all of them?

Are you saying the BAER kit is what C4's/Cobras have or that you since replaced the BAER kit with C4 brakes? You used stock Galant rotors with the kit? I was under the impression it only came as 5 lug?

pinoyesv6
10-19-2004, 08:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SamirDarji)</div><div class='quotemain'>Actually, disc was not available at all on 1996 models. Â*My factory service manual doesn't refer to them at all and there are no 1996 rear disc parts available. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif</div>

thats because there wasn't a 96 GS.

Ikudni
10-19-2004, 09:14 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok, went to Adv auto this weekend, looked up parts and got a few.

I looked up parts for 97 GST, ordered the front and rear hub assembly, and ordered rear calipers. Â*
I did a cross reference on front caliper part numbers 97 GST and 94 G. Â*Pt#'s were the same.

Looking into upgraded roters, instead of just stock ones, any suggestions?

Gonna go back and get stainless cables and speedbleeders.</div>

What was the total cost of the parts?

Blue Ice
10-19-2004, 10:59 AM
well i didn't get all the parts i needed, and it was about $600. But that's without core parts to turn back in. I'd suggest going to a jy. I couldn't ever find a 2g at the ones around here. All they had were 1g's... lot's of 1g's. I still have to go to the dealer and get the mounting plate for the calipers, adv auto or napa doesn't carry that or the e-brake cable.
So for about 600 i got all four 5-bolt hub assemblies (new/rebuilt) and two rear calipers. If i had calipers to give them, it would have knocked about 120 off. Not too sure if the hub assemblies were core exchangeable, but if they are , that would knock off a little more too.

Blue Ice
10-21-2004, 03:55 PM
I went to the dealer, and didn't get as raped as i thought i would.

"as raped as", meaning just a little bit raped, but still raped :roll:

Got the 2 backing plate, 2 mounting brackets, 2 upper and 2 lower mounting pins, 2 upper pin bushings, 2 sets brake pad brackets, 2 sets of shims, and 2 E-brake cables for $345. from the loal mitsu dealer. He mentioned something about a discount, but not too sure what it was.

I'll give you a parts and price list and from where on my next post.
still need stainless brake lines, and i plan to replace the front lines as well.

Remember i'm also including the pricing of the front hub assemblies.

I also order cross drilled rotors from the local performance shop. for '97 GST :twisted:

Blue Ice
10-21-2004, 04:54 PM
Parts from Advanced Auto:
All parts referenced for 1997 GST

Bearing hub assembly front? 129.88 x 2 259.76
Bearing hub assembly rear? 99.98 x 2 199.96
Rear calipers 59.98 x 2 119.96
core charge 55.00 x 2 110.00

Total 689.68

If you have core parts for exchange, then you don't have to pay the 110.

Parts from local Mitsu dealer
all parts referenced for 1997 GST
looks like everything was at 10% discount. so i'll give the discounted price.

buschings (for upper pins) 2.86 x 2 5.72
upper pins (attach caliper to mount) 4.83 x 2 9.66
lower pins " 4.97 x 2 9.94
cable parking brake 28.37 28.37
cable parking brake (difference?) 26.31 26.31
backing plate (left & right) 51.00 x 2 102.00
caliper support 52.29 x 2 104.58
caliper support mounting bolts 1.41 x 4 5.64
brake pad clip set 9.59 9.59
shim set 9.88 9.88

Total 311.69

Grand Total 1001.37

If money is a problem I'd definitely take the Junk Yard route.

brandon
10-22-2004, 07:52 AM
$1000+?? YIKES.

Good for you though...

Ikudni
10-22-2004, 07:57 AM
I'll put that on the list of future mods.. It's more expensive than I thought, but it'll be worth it. Are you going to do the work yourself?

Blue Ice
10-22-2004, 10:16 AM
yeah i plan to do the work myself. just have to find the wheels i want. This winter i plan to install my shocks, springs, and rear brakes, and all four hubs. I've got a friend that knows a little more than i do so he'll help me a lot.

I didn't know it was going to be his much either, and if i found a 2g at the local JY, then i would have darn shure pulled all these parts i needed. Actually, i'm thinking i could have bought all the parts from mitsu dealer for cheaper, than adv auto. The parts that get you the most are the hub assemblies. :?

Blue Ice
10-22-2004, 11:06 PM
I was just thinking. If there are Galants out there that have rear disk brakes, a cheaper route might be to just get the rear hub assemblies from 94 Galant (4 lug) with rear disks, then you don't have to change the front hub assembly. Save about $260 bucks. you might have to go to the dealer for that part though.

Russian7G
11-01-2004, 12:39 AM
I have tried to get the 94 GS rear disk brake part numbers from CAPS -mitsu parts lookup program, but there is no info on it in my version - it shows that 94 GS has rear drum brakes... probably it's just a problem with my CAPS..

SamirDarji
11-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Woah, cool man you are in Hunstville. I went to UAH. I remember those TAC guys now - at the time I wasn't into performance at all. I also remember when Sound on Wheels had their speed annex and the per4mance guys were building up - whatever became of all of them?
The TAC guys are still around, as is Sound on Wheels. All the performance shops in Huntsville kinda come and go. The current one in town is behind SOW and is called Trackmasters.

Are you saying the BAER kit is what C4's/Cobras have or that you since replaced the BAER kit with C4 brakes? You used stock Galant rotors with the kit? I was under the impression it only came as 5 lug?
The Baer kit is the same as what C4's/Cobras came with stock. I wouldn't have even known if it wasn't for the Mustang meets the first Wed of every month (today!). Someone pointed it out to me after looking at my brakes and exclaiming "Good God!" Someone also mentioned that's the same setup on the rear of the Viper too, but I'd have to see that one before I start using that line. :twisted:

The rotors come with the kit. You discard your old rotors and calipers. The kit comes as a 2nd gen Eclipse kit, but the only difference is the rotor. Tell them you heard about this upgrade from me (they might remember me) and want a 4 lug rotor vs 5 lug. The kit comes with SS lines, brackets, bolts, brake bleeder hose, all needed hardware and some pretty good instructions. The hardest part is getting your heat shield off since it's part of your hub assembly. I didn't want to completely destroy mine, so a friend of mine came up with a way to only make 2 small cuts on it and made it so I could take it off and put it back on again. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

The car scene here is alive. There's quite a few car sites including my new one, www.huntsvillecarscene.com. Check it out and see what everyone's up to!

SamirDarji
11-03-2004, 06:01 PM
thats because there wasn't a 96 GS.
That makes sense. 8) Kinda wish there was one now... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

SamirDarji
11-03-2004, 06:05 PM
For a 7g, wouldn't a 95 be a better doner for the rear disc? Although it'd probably be rare, a GS would have it. Or, you could always buy them new.

ViciousLord
11-04-2004, 08:47 AM
how much would a new rear end from a 94 GS cost from the dealer..... if they still make them.... just a question...

SamirDarji
11-04-2004, 11:21 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ViciousLord)</div><div class='quotemain'>how much would a new rear end from a 94 GS cost from the dealer..... if they still make them.... just a question...</div>
Don't know. Good question. I wanna know too...for anybody that's checking up on it...

SamirDarji
11-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Hey, Blue Ice, do you plan to change the proportioning valve? with the almost completely different braking setup that probably wouldn't be a bad thing to change to a GS valve.

ViciousLord
11-04-2004, 12:36 PM
anybody know the price?.,.....

brandon
11-04-2004, 03:20 PM
You could try using DelRay's site to get some prices:

http://www.mitsudealer.com/delray/part_cat...art_catalog.cgi ('http://www.mitsudealer.com/delray/part_catalog.cgi?apc=part_catalog.cgi')

ViciousLord
11-04-2004, 04:03 PM
under what???

brandon
11-05-2004, 07:55 AM
94 Galant, Wheels and brakes section...

Blue Ice
11-06-2004, 03:55 AM
I'm only going by what's been done before, never heard any mention of a proportinary valve, guess i'll look into that. too

SamirDarji
12-11-2004, 12:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm only going by what's been done before, never heard any mention of a proportinary valve, guess i'll look into that. too</div>
The valve is different between those that have a rear disc and rear drum. It's a little piece, but I believe it will make the brake bias a little better for your setup.

Joaltava
12-11-2004, 06:55 PM
hey brandon do you think that by getting those part numbers and going to the mitsu dealer i might be able to go ahead and get the rear disk brakes?

Also what will i need to buy to convert from drum to disk?

thanks

SamirDarji
12-13-2004, 09:07 PM
Has anyone ever checked to see if the eclipse parts are the same as the Galant with discs? And if they aren't, has anyone checked if the Eclipse parts have any benefit? (larger discs, etc.)

pinoyesv6
12-13-2004, 10:46 PM
i did some research. according to the parts catalog that i have (might not be 100% accurate but don't blame me) the 7g GS, the 2g Eclipse, 3g Eclipse and the 8g galant have the same calipers in the rear.

the 2g eclipse fwd, 3g eclipse and the 8g galant have the same rotor in the rear.

now the rear rotors from the GS is also the same as for the expo.

something you might want to look into if you are getting used or aftermarket parts.

SamirDarji
12-13-2004, 10:53 PM
What about the rotors sizes and brackets? Any mention? And I'm guessing the spindle is just the 94GS spindle, right? Or is it a GST? It would be interesting if it was same spindle for the GST and 94GS. Then the upgrades that work for the GST would just bolt-on.

Blue Ice
12-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Hey guys i know this is a long post, if you went back you'd see that i already cross referenced the part number's on the rear calipers, between the gst and the G. they are the same calipers. The only thing i would do if you wanted to save money is look into the rear four lug disk (i guess from the 94 GS), as then you won't have to change the front to 5 lug to match the rear.

I haven't been able to do anything to my car as i've been having to work 6 day work weeks since about the beginning of november. Hopefully i can get on this crap, and take a lot of pics so it'll help everyone. Also i haven't found any wheels i really want to buy yet.

Any one know anybody that want's to sell thier GSX wheels?

Blue Ice
12-14-2004, 10:25 AM
i'll probably get this conversion done by the end of january.

SamirDarji
12-22-2004, 05:54 PM
Went to the dealer today to get some parts and did some research on the drum to disc conversion.

The proportioning valve is the exact same for disc or drum, so you don't have to worry about that at all.

I priced out roughly how much it would be to convert the rear to disc using all mitsu parts. It was almost $500 including the brake shoes and brake hoses, which you can get cheaper and better aftermarket. I'm not sure if the caliper was included in this. I'm thinking it was not.

JiP
12-22-2004, 07:50 PM
You mean new mitsu parts or from a junkyard? Cause mitsu wheel bearings run around $275

Wish there was a way to just buy the 5lug hub instead of the whole wheel bearing assemly. Not that you will EVER be able to remove the hub from the bearing but would be nice n cheep =P

SamirDarji
12-22-2004, 08:34 PM
He may not have included that or the rotor now that I look at it. The schematic he printed for me (the one he was using for pricing) doesn't have the hub on it. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif Well, that makes it a bit more expensive, lol.