PDA

View Full Version : Bypass valve question(please don't hurt me for asking :P )

Supernova
09-07-2003, 08:21 PM
I SEARCHED!!! But, I didn't get the answer I needed. Soooooo....

I know the bypass vavle works if the filter is submerged in water and cant' suck air in, so then the vavle opens up so the egin can still get air without choking or whatever, then closes when air can get through the filter.

QUESTION: Does the AEM bypass valve catch water that has been sucked up through the filter and then dispenses of the water before it can get into the engin?

Or if all it does is do what I explained above in my first paragraph(not catch water that has been sucked through the filter), then people with the bypass valve are in as much risk(however much that may be) as the people with out it at getting hydrolocked?

I don't want any 3 paragraph posts. Just a simple answer. :wink:

Thank you.... :BGR:

Reelax
09-07-2003, 08:32 PM
when the filter is submerged, there is a pressure drop in the intake (vaccuum). the valve opens and air enters through it "bypassing" the filter a few feet upstream of the filter element (about 2 feet vertically). this alleviates the vaccuum and the water then is no longer sucked into the filter (there is no airflow through the filter to suck water into the intake). so no, there is a MUCH greater risk of hydrolocking w/o the bypass since w/o it there is no alternate route for air to enter the engine except through the main filter.

Auto-9
09-07-2003, 08:32 PM
This is how I *think* the bypass valve works:

When the valve detects the pressure changes associated with water being sucked into the intake it opens up and starts breathing from the valve, rather than the air filter, basically becoming a temporary short ram.

peanotation
09-07-2003, 08:45 PM
not to be negative, but i've heard bypass valves shit. but this is what i've heard, i myself have on experience with them and i'd be willing to give them a try, but i wouldn't fight for one.

Fishboy55
09-07-2003, 08:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Supernova)</div><div class='quotemain'>QUESTION: Â*Does the AEM bypass valve catch water that has been sucked up through the filter and then dispenses of the water before it can get into the engin? Â*Thank you.... :BGR:</div>

First, Super, if I understand your question, the answer is no, not unless the filter is completely submerged like people said. If you get water on the filter, and it's not submerged, the bypass valve does nothing. The water will get sucked right through the intake toward the TB. However, the MAF will disperse some of it, and most will evaporate before it gets to the TB. If it's enough, you might get a misfare or notice crappy idle.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>not to be negative, but i've heard bypass valves shit. but this is what i've heard, i myself have on experience with them and i'd be willing to give them a try, but i wouldn't fight for one.</div>

In my experience that's true. I never drove into puddles or anything deep enough to submerge my filter when I had a CAI. But when I removed the intake pipe to switch back to a WAI, I noticed water spots on the inside of my intake pipe about 8 inches from the TB. So my filter got wet from rain or oversplash or whatever and water made it that far with an AEM bypass valve installed. If you want to try one, measure the outside diameter of your intake pipe and then you can find one that size on ebay for about $25 bucks.

Supernova
09-07-2003, 09:13 PM
So just driving in the rain(light/medium/heavy), without large puddles to drive through so my filter could get submerged, i'm just as exposed as the guy with the valve?