PDA

View Full Version : Dash board Lights

Athreya
09-08-2003, 12:53 PM
I was just wondering if my hazard light switch on the dashboard should light up green like all the other switch lights around it when my parking/headlamps are on. Mine doesn't glow but the hazard lights function fine. Thanks

I'm a stickler about the lil things, especially in the cabin :oops: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

MISOBITCHI
09-08-2003, 01:13 PM
I have a 7g as well as a friend and neither one of ours do, so im guessing they are not supposed to

mitsupiet
09-08-2003, 03:08 PM
The hazerd switch should light up red.
Mine did when i bought the car.
Now it is broken too, i think i am going to get me another switch the next time at the junk yard.
Mitsupiet. :wink:

Athreya
09-09-2003, 01:38 AM
Thanks guys.

While driving to school today, I realized the defrost button next to the hazard switch doesn't light up either uless it is actually in use. Is this normal or do I have another blown light? :roll:

flipz_ny79
09-09-2003, 06:56 AM
Im pretty sure all the dash bottons light up green when the parking lights are on and when depressed most of them light up red. Example: hazards, a/c, circulation, etc... Mine did, maybee just burned out bulbs.

QnzMostWanted
09-09-2003, 07:33 AM
green?!? mine light up white

mitsupiet
09-10-2003, 02:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Athreya)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks guys.

While driving to school today, I realized the defrost button next to the hazard switch doesn't light up either uless it is actually in use. Is this normal or do I have another blown light? Â*:roll:</div>
Yep, you have another blown light.
It should light up white, and when you push it, it has to turn orange.
:wink:

Athreya
09-11-2003, 01:32 AM
Thanks

Back to the junkyard I guess...LOL :roll:

downsouthhustla
09-15-2003, 12:09 AM
the dash lights are easy to fix.. all u gotta do is replace the LED inside the switch.. you can take out the switch and pry it open with a screw driver...the only problem i had is finding the right LED... if anyone does..let me know............seems to be a common problem.. none of my dash lights light up...

Gen7es
09-15-2003, 04:24 PM
I don't know if the rear defrost and hazard switches
light up normally but if they do chances are the bulbs
they use are:

12v 60ma micro lamps
you can get them at Radio Shack
and the part # is 272-1092c
and #7219 (interchangable)

If you open your switch carefully,
you should see not only a space for the bulb
but a set of some kind of metal contacts for
each bulb. One is the illumination bulb the
other is the 'On' bulb

I used these bulbs to replace my Recirc. and A/C
bulbs and now they are white when my lights are on,
and orange when activated.

Hope this helps!

flipz_ny79
09-16-2003, 01:05 AM
So, to take out the switch you just gotta pry them out ??? Is that correct, coz I dont wanna bust them up. :?:

peanotation
09-16-2003, 01:06 AM
yeah, all these problems are just blown bulbs, i have one for my circulating a/c button.

downsouthhustla
09-16-2003, 01:20 AM
if you look carefully, youll seethat they snap together, just make sure you dont loose any parts inside the switch....and make sure you put it together right....pry it open carefully

Ikudni
09-20-2003, 07:46 AM
Yea, Had this problem back in June or July and found the answer on here. I replaced my bulbs. Buy them from Radio Shack.. It's like 3 bucks for 4 or something. It's easy to do, just be careful and don't lose the parts. I did all of mine except for the hazard and defrost. I can't figure out how to get those out without bustin something. The replacement buttons are too expensive. I think the hazard is like 40 or 50 bucks or something like that. Oh yea VERY IMPORTANT! The new bulbs will be clear. You must remove the rubber sheath from the old bulbs. That is what gives the bulb the color! Very carefully peal them off and put them on the new bulbs.

queball
09-20-2003, 09:37 PM
I don't know if the rear defrost and hazard switches
light up normally but if they do chances are the bulbs
they use are:

12v 60ma micro lamps
you can get them at Radio Shack
and the part # is 272-1092c
and #7219 (interchangable)

If you open your switch carefully,
you should see not only a space for the bulb
but a set of some kind of metal contacts for
each bulb. One is the illumination bulb the
other is the 'On' bulb

I used these bulbs to replace my Recirc. and A/C
bulbs and now they are white when my lights are on,
and orange when activated.

Hope this helps!

LOL i was just going to say i posted a artical on how to do change all the damn bulbs and the radio shark part number for the bulbs but you beat me to it.. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif and yes the hazard and defrost light up i also replaced them bulbs when i did my fog and cruise switches.. pain in the ass but i got tired of pushing the hazard switch in the middle of the night thinking i was turning on my defroster..

Gen7es
09-21-2003, 12:31 PM
Your name is........Your name is........Your name is.......
Wika wika, Your name is.......Slow Shady https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif
(Just a joke!!!!!)
Your're right Shady, This was posted a while back.
I just thought I'd be nice and give 'em a quickie !!
But thanks for letting us know about the hazards and defroster,
I'm on my way to Radio Shack to get some more bulbs.Good looking out!!

Athreya
09-22-2003, 12:24 AM
Well I went to the junkyard and pulled out the entire clock assembly with the hazard and defrost switches. It was not fun getting it out so now I'm worried I'll screw something up if I try replacing them in my car. That center piece hooks up to the 2 central A/C vents too :?

Sheena351
09-22-2003, 08:51 AM
ok...call me a dumb ass but on the power window switch on the driver's side for the drivers window, does it light up with the same bulbs...or does it just glow in the dark? LoL...I noticed last night driving home looking to see which switches light up in my car (the defroster's white...the cruise is orange and turns green when on...and those are the only lights (switch-wise) that work on my car...LoL).

Athreya
09-22-2003, 09:04 PM
LOL...looks like another G with blown lights :oops:

As for the driver side window/door controls, they just glow.

nme7
09-23-2003, 12:08 PM
After reading this post, I decided last night to change the blown dash lights. It turned into a 3 hour adventure. First of all, the recirculate and ECO/AC button are easy to pull out from the dash. I just put a flat screwdriver behind it and slowly pried it out. However the Rear Window defrost and Hazard button cannot be pried out. You have to physically pull apart the top center vent area, then undo two screws that hold the switches in place. It is a major pain in the butt since there is one cable connected way inside the car that cannot easily be disconnected.

Here are a few problems that I ran into. The 12b 60ma micro lamps (Radio Shack part # 272-1092 and/or #7219) is ONLY for the lamps when the car headlights are on. Meaning you flip the headlight switch 1 or 2 clicks, and you should see the buttons light up a slightly white color. The bulbs themselves have a blue sock or condom over it to give it a bluish tint however when viewed through the button, it hardly looks blue.

Now the lights that turn on when you actually press the button are different. You'll need something with a higher output. These are the bulbs that look orange when turned on (Recirculate on, or AC on etc). I estimate they are at least 80ma. I couldn't tell what it is exactly but the bulb itself is physically bigger than the 60ma bulbs. I'll have to go back to Radio Shack to find these. This bulb also has a colored sock or condom over it. Good luck trying to salvage them however. I ended up destroying most of them because they had simply dried out and were stuck on the dead bulb. I considered using a red and blue plastic shopping bag as a filter lens to put between the bulb and the switch.

A few tips before disassembling the switches. BE CAREFUL! I should have taken a picture right after I popped open the switch. Why? There are various metal and plastic parts that can very easily be put in wrong. Plus the clicking mechanism is a pain to figure out at first. Opening the switch is pretty hard to do. Some switches will be easy to pop open, other ones like the AC one, will require more persuasion. I ended up using a razor blade to pop the cover off.

After all of this, I ended up replacing all of the broken bulbs on my dash. Fog light switch, rear defrost(2), hazard, recirculate(2), AC(has 3 but I replaced 2). My dash lights up nice but now I have other problems. 1. Recirculate does not work and 2. A/C does not kick on. I may end up going to the dealer and buying new switches for those parts. Although I understand how these switches work mechanically, I do not understand why my AC and recirculate does not work. I am going to replace the switches with brand new ones from the dealer to negate the possibility that the switches that I rebuilt are defective.

Once I get the new switches and try them out, I'll disassemble my old ones and post some pictures online on how to change the bulbs. I found that replacing the bulbs is easy but getting it back in and making the switch work properly was my biggest problem.

JiP
09-23-2003, 01:14 PM
Maybe you reassmbled the switch incorectly so the contacts are messed up or its not even switching at all.

nme7
09-23-2003, 01:42 PM
That is my problem. Logically, it makes sense how I put the switch back together. The lights toggle on and off and cycles through properly. However I cannot figure out why the recirculate does not work nor the AC doesn't turn on.

I would rather spend the money to replace the switch with a new one and eliminate the switch as a possible defect. Anyone know how much a new recirculate switch and AC switch is?

Ikudni
09-27-2003, 11:42 AM
The switches are expensive.. releatively since the bulbs are so cheap. Like 24 to 50 dollars. Call the parts department at the local mitsu dealer. They are aren't all the same. On the other hand, bronxbomber is sellin parts from his rides and he has those parts you want. Check it out under The Galant Center Forum Index -> For Sale, Trade & Wanted Items.

I still think you can do it yourself. Like Jip said, maybe they aren't put together correctly. I did mine in like 10-15 minutes each same bulbs (2 each switch) no problems. You just have to be careful. regarding the dried up condoms. Someone on here recomended nail polish.. It might just work.

i_xlr8
11-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Can I Please get clarification on the replacement / removal of the fog light switch in my 94?

Does the whole panel (headlight, dimmer dial, and fog light combined) just pry out, or is there a trick such as putty knife from the top to relieve a clip?

Your sharing your experience / knowledge would be greatly appreciated since I am bumming after my fog light switch came apart in my hand.

TTT..

Come on guys...Do I take off the lower panel of the dash and reach up under, do I pry out the combined switch plastic module, somebodys "been there, done that"

BEGY
01-25-2007, 10:30 AM
I replace bulbs at blue and yelow LED.
http://www.galantweb.com/galantweb/modules/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=10084&pos=-1253

tutorial: http://www.galantweb.com/index.php?ind=howtos&op=entry_view&iden=19
but only in czech - sorry :wink:

This is forever, cracking bulbs no more! :roll: Gauges comming soon
:wink: