PDA

View Full Version : GTZ Spoiler LEd Help

Wolfman
09-09-2003, 08:49 AM
I was wondering because I really don't want to have two brake lights if it was legal to have the led lights as your third brake light? I just got the spoiler on ebay and wanted to ask if anybody knew about this.

akiraflux
09-09-2003, 09:07 AM
if the spoiler has a light then yah you can take out your third light. i believe it's now required for all cars to have 3 brake lights.

Wolfman
09-09-2003, 09:10 AM
Thanks Akiraflux. Yeah I knew it was required to have a third brake light so I am gonna see about just taking off the plastic assembly and light from the third brake light and splice the wires together with the spoilers so then I'll have a new third brake light on the spoiler. Wireloom it all too. Thanks again.

tim888tim
09-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Actually if you take out the third brake light, the spoiler lights will not work. They are all on the same circuit. I would be careful if you decide to bypass the 3rd light because it acts as a resistor as well and without it you will blow out your spoiler leds. One member reported doing this a few months ago.

Wolfman
09-09-2003, 09:36 AM
read next

Wolfman
09-09-2003, 09:37 AM
So I can splice the third brake light wires with the Spoiler wires but I can't take out the light becaise it acts a resistor?

tim888tim
09-09-2003, 09:42 AM
AFIK yes. Can anyone back me on this?

akiraflux
09-09-2003, 09:46 AM
Actually if you take out the third brake light, the spoiler lights will not work. They are all on the same circuit. I would be careful if you decide to bypass the 3rd light because it acts as a resistor as well and without it you will blow out your spoiler leds. One member reported doing this a few months ago.

user error? i would assume that the factory 3rd brake light is spliced into the main brake line.

plus...the aftermarket spoilers come with this lil piece of plastic you are supposed to use to splice in the wire to the brake line. friend of mine tells me they were not allowed to use those during installs of stuff at ultimate elec. cuz it would blow shit up.

you could take out bulb in the 3rd brake...and hide it in the rear deck so you can't see it anymore?

Wolfman
09-09-2003, 09:50 AM
Yeah that is what I planned on doing. Put the ligt somewhere else in the trunk or what not. I was wondering about the splicing though. What did your friend do as far as splicing if he didn't us the plastic stuff the spoiler comes with? Did he just strip the wire and splice it himself and then electrical tape it or what?

akiraflux
09-09-2003, 09:53 AM
yessir

HondaKillerGTZ
09-09-2003, 11:22 AM
it is supposed that you have a stop light harness in your trunk lid, it dont matter if your car is GTZ or not, the harness should be next behind the lic plate, also you can disconnect the 3rd light from the rear tray and have no problems, just make sure you wire the spoiler correctly (pos-pos, ground-ground) to the harness in the trunk lid. :wink:

Wolfman
09-09-2003, 01:29 PM
Thanks all for the help. I had a body shop here in town install the spoiler today. They charged thirty bucks but hey seeing i didn't have a drill it was worth it. Plus they are the ones who install mitisubishi spoilers in the first place so they know what they are doing. Spoiler looks sick I'll get pictures today and post them.

RaViN
09-09-2003, 02:04 PM
yes there is a plug near the licence plate specifically for a factory spoiler. Its already there to make it easy for the dealer to charge you $600 to install it. I tried to take my rear window 3rd brake light out, but it just creates a huge hole...all i did was unplugged the rear window one from underneath so only my spolier lights. and of course moved it back a bit so it doesnt hit the window when my bass hits https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

RaViN
09-09-2003, 02:07 PM
OH and just a word of advise....if anyone tries to install it themselves.. NEVER trust the template, its ALWAYS wrong. Thank god i checked it first before i drilled... :roll:

onlyphases
09-09-2003, 10:46 PM
if the spoiler has a light then yah you can take out your third light. i believe it's now required for all cars to have 3 brake lights.

this may be a location thing... In alabama I know you only have to have one red brake light to the back (legally) but you have to fix any malfunctioning components... therefore you can use the light on the wing as the third brake light .... Just completed Driving school for three saturdays....

pinoyesv6
09-09-2003, 10:49 PM
OH and just a word of advise....if anyone tries to install it themselves.. NEVER trust the template, its ALWAYS wrong. Thank god i checked it first before i drilled... :roll:

my template was right and many others that i've used. stick the template in the holes in the bottom of the spoiler. position the spoiler the way u want it on the trunk lid. tape the template down. remove the spoiler and drill your way thru.

RaViN
09-09-2003, 11:49 PM

my template was right and many others that i've used. stick the template in the holes in the bottom of the spoiler. position the spoiler the way u want it on the trunk lid. tape the template down. remove the spoiler and drill your way thru.

the holes on my template where completely off. about an inch 3/4 an inch off.

cdaw2001ES
09-10-2003, 02:59 AM
shit I CUT my 3rd brake light out - bulb and socket, and connected the spoiler to the wires, as I was dope stupid on the harness on that one, but anyway - to put this to bed, my brake lights and the spoiler work just fine.

I made my own template - and it was perfect https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif