PDA

View Full Version : Galant 2.5 V6 Sport Suspension prob?

ritch_w
09-09-2003, 10:59 AM
I have a question regarding the suspension on the V6 Sport (Saloon).

heres the prob:
when travelling on country / A-roads at speed, going over any rises / dips result in what feels like the car lifting off - the front suspension gives the impresion of "topping out" i.e. not enough travel in the suspension.
(Strange considering the sport model still sits pretty high with a big gap between tyres and wheel arch)

previous cars, including a Golf GTi with stiff suspension and old volvo estate, never displayed any such characteristics at faster speeds than the galant.

Basically the galant feels a bit unsafe at speed on backroads, and i think it should stick to the ground rather than lifting off at every crest or bump

- any suggestions or theories regarding this?????

(I will get it looked at when it is next serviced anyway)

Auto-9
09-09-2003, 07:24 PM
I don't know if I'm understanding you correctly, but it sounds like your struts or shocks are about to go on you or have already gone, and thus nothing is controlling the rate of the spring kicking back out.

ritch_w
09-10-2003, 05:28 AM
It certainly seem that way but the car is a 2002 model with 23,000 miles.... suspension should last longer than that!!!

also, on flat surfaces, the car handles and corners superbly

i think this is either going to be a difficult one to resolve or a characteristic of the galant sport - in which case, it sucks!

ta

Auto-9
09-10-2003, 07:18 AM
Ick...well then it sounds normal to me. Well at least it's a great car for other roads https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

ritch_w
09-11-2003, 06:05 AM
Its the front that seems to lift off, while the back is safely sticking to the road.

I have driven cars with far softer (and incredibably bouncy) suspension over the same roads faster and in a more controlled manner - thats why i'm concerned!!!!

surely if the back sticks to the road, the front should too?
could the front be over damped / under damped?
(don't know which is which!!)
Could there be a fault with the strut not extending down or the spring itself?
not sure - grasping at straws here!!!

Auto-9
09-11-2003, 11:57 AM
I would venture that if anything, the front is underdampened. If it were overly suppressed, the spring would not be able to kick out, and if anything the car would come slamming back down rather than flying back up. The USDM Galant has the opposite of your problem. Our rear tends to kick rather than the front.