PDA

View Full Version : Engine noise while cold

GalantRawr
09-10-2003, 09:36 AM
My I4 makes a ticking/taping noise when I first start it up after it has gone cold 12+ hours turned off. The first thing i was thinking was that its a lifter problem, but the noise fades to nothing after 5-10 mins of operation. I have had cars with sticking/damaged lifters and the sound usually is the same all the time. I cannot detect any other problems exhibited by the engine. I changed the plugs recently as well (the sound occured before the plugs fyi)

I had someone at the dealership listen to it warm and he told me that the noise wasnt unusual for these cars as his Lancer i4 sounded the same and that it might possible be a lifter problem worst case.

I just had the timing belt changed at 61K and im now at 63700K. My memory might be failing but I cant hepl but think that the unusual engone noise started after the dealership replaced the timing belt and flushed the tranny.

I have an extended warrenty on my car and Im trying to decide what to do.

Anyone have any suggestions on what else this migt be?

TIA

pinoyesv6
09-10-2003, 11:39 AM
i had a similar problem with my car. i have a v6 though.

my suggestion is to let the dealer have the car overnight and let them first start it when its cold. that way they can better determine where the problem was.

at first they thought it was a lifter problem they fixed that and the sound was still there so they kept it another night and it ended up being the flex plate and mine was changed under warranty.

manybrews
09-10-2003, 04:25 PM
could be a lifter, which is pretty normal.
it could ALSO be light piston slap, which is also normal due to the slight "cam cut" to the pistons.
they are not perfectly round, when cold. they are designed to expand in mainly one directly, to provide a better overall fit when warm.

all mitsu engines have some piston slap when cold, and always have.

Auto-9
09-10-2003, 06:31 PM
My engine makes a tapping sound in the engine bay and it translates into a throbbing noise in the interior cabin especially when I rev/accelerate or just hold a steady speed it doesn't matter if it's cold or warmed up, but it never makes a peep in the cabin when the RPMs start to drop i.e. I let go of the gas, or at idle. Since no one could ever pinpoint the source I just disregard it as something normal. I can feel the ticking/tapping sound on the little black cylinder thing (with some hoses going in/out of it) about the size of the tip of my index finger on top of the belt, so I just assume it's vibrations I'm feeling from the belt.

clone2020
01-12-2004, 12:54 AM
I have the same problem with my 8G I4.

The noise that I'm hearing sounds like it's coming from the black intake manifold. It has a fade-in/fade-out ticking that lasts between 10-20 seconds after a cold start. First there's no sound, then the ticking fades in and then out again.

I had the lifter tick in my montero sport but I could definately hear the ticking coming from the top of the engine. It actually was dirty lifters. I cleaned them all and I had to replace one of them.

Flex plate? Piston slap/cam cut?

So, is this piston slap normal in all 2.4s? Is there anyway to fix it?

-Mike.

tsalagi
01-12-2004, 03:24 PM
tia....
something has happened to my starter kit, so now i have to manually warm my car up, which i guess abled me to listen to my car. Yeah mine clicks too....but it stops after it is warm, i have tried listenin to the hood...lol to everything but i cant sence where it is coming from...if you find any info, let me know please...

Tsalagi

2 LOW 4 A FAT HOE
01-15-2004, 10:41 AM
I can feel the ticking/tapping sound on the little black cylinder thing (with some hoses going in/out of it) about the size of the tip of my index finger on top of the belt, so I just assume it's vibrations I'm feeling from the belt.

I noticed the same thing, my mechanic says its a gas purger or something like that, which makes a ticking noise.

bronxbombr
01-15-2004, 11:48 AM
Welcome to the pub dude, I think we all experience the same thing.

Stonewallskins
01-26-2004, 12:38 PM
I think this is normal. Mine does the same thing and it made me paranoid! Now I know that it is just the normal operation of the vehicle until the warm oil gets where it needs to go!

8GSERVICEMANUAL
01-26-2004, 02:59 PM
ABNORMAL ENGINE NOISE
Abnormal engine noises can be caused by component failure or a lack of oil pressure, leading to a component
failure. Subtle noises can be amplified using a
mechanics stethoscope.

• A ticking or light rapping sound located in the valve
cover area could be caused by automatic valve lash
adjusters. This noise is heard at a frequency that is
1/2 crankshaft RPM. Engine load does not affect the
noise. Do not confuse this noise with fuel injector
operation.

• Crankshaft bearing noises caused by excessive
clearance are heard as deep metallic knocks. Noise
is loudest under load, acceleration, or when the
engine is just started. May be accompanied by low
oil pressure which can be checked with an oil
pressure gauge.

• Connecting rod noise caused by excessive clearance
is heard as a light metallic rapping noise under light
loads. Noise and frequency increase with engine
speed. Can be isolated using MUT II by cancelling
out the cylinder. Noise will substantially decrease
with the cylinder shorted out.

• Piston “slap” is caused by excessive piston to
cylinder clearance. This is a dull metallic rattle at idle
and under light loads. Noise may disappear as the
engine warms up and the piston expands. Affected
cylinder can be located with MUT II by shorting out
the cylinder.

Keep in mind that noises might be coming from a
source other than inside the engine. Belts, air
conditioning compressors, timing belt idlers and
alternators can all make noise.

clone2020
02-09-2004, 12:36 AM
Check this site out...

http://www.pistonslap.com ('http://www.pistonslap.com')

-MIKE.

scrapy
02-18-2004, 10:28 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8GSERVICEMANUAL)</div><div class='quotemain'>ABNORMAL ENGINE NOISE

• A ticking or light rapping sound located in the valve *
cover area could be caused by automatic valve lash *
adjusters. This noise is heard at a frequency that is *
1/2 crankshaft RPM. Engine load does not affect the *
noise. Do not confuse this noise with fuel injector *
operation. </div>

I also have this "tick". Dealership said it was the lash adjuster or lifters. the service manual says you can clean the lash adjuster to remove trapped air which can prevent oil from circulating. I'm still trying to figure it out.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'></div>