PDA

View Full Version : Crackling clutch

jeucken
09-11-2003, 02:58 PM
Maybe this sounds weird but my clutch makes a bit of a cracking noise sometimes when I push it. The clutch itself works perfectly except for the noise.

I can't describe it any better than this sorry.
Is there someone with the same problem, or someone who knows what this might be?

pro_sniper
09-11-2003, 09:17 PM
Maybe this sounds weird but my clutch makes a bit of a cracking noise sometimes when I push it. The clutch itself works perfectly except for the noise.

I can't describe it any better than this sorry.
Is there someone with the same problem, or someone who knows what this might be?

Could be that it's only the spring underneath the dashboard that's getting a bit old and cranky... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif
Or is the sound originating from the engine bay?

Jan Kenneth

herald1b6
09-11-2003, 11:53 PM
yeah i had that promblem too but what i did was sparyed lubricant to keep the spring underneath the the clutch pedal or any thing that is around it,, watch out for elictrical wires and fuses,, ever since then it went away,,,later

J apmetal
09-13-2003, 06:24 AM
These guys have good advice; If it's a noise you can hear from inside the cabin [rather than carrying through from outside] then it wont be the actual clutch, just the pedal mechanism under the dash and should be easy [or at least cheap] to fix.

jeucken
09-13-2003, 08:55 AM
These guys have good advice; If it's a noise you can hear from inside the cabin [rather than carrying through from outside] then it wont be the actual clutch, just the pedal mechanism under the dash and should be easy [or at least cheap] to fix.It is in the car and not under the hood, thank god....
But what kind of lubricant should I use?

ken inn
09-13-2003, 10:21 AM
where the rod goes into the clutch master, right at the end, it is kind of a ball/socket joint. it is covered by a rubber boot to keep out dirt and moisture. over time, the grease turns hard, and you end up with metal on metal, or the boot has torn, and moisture or dirt has gotten in. however, also, this could be a warning sign that the master is dying. check you clutch resevoir, in the engine bay. if the fluid is dark, it is breaking down. what happens is brake fluid absorbs moisture, and keeps it in suspension. when it gets too much, it starts to turn color, and the boiling point starts to go down. then, if there is too much moisture, the inside of the hydraulic system will corrode and pit, and the seals will start to tear, eventually they go away, and you lose your clutch or brakes. this is why it is so important to flush each year, ESPECIALLY if you see a lot of freezing weather. when the fluid is full of moisture, and the seals starting to go, fluid will leak past them, and eat up all the grease in that joint. then, it seeps out of the boot, and down into the footwell. if your fluid resevoir is also low, or if you have been adding fluid, it is probably down in the footwell, and it will eventually corrode the floor pan.

jeucken
09-23-2003, 04:07 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeucken)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(J apmetal)</div><div class='quotemain'>These guys have good advice; If it's a noise you can hear from inside the cabin [rather than carrying through from outside] then it wont be the actual clutch, just the pedal mechanism under the dash and should be easy [or at least cheap] to fix.</div>It is in the car and not under the hood, thank god....
But what kind of lubricant should I use?</div>

J apmetal
09-23-2003, 03:58 PM
In work we use spray-on lubricant that acts like penetrating grease, but also drys to form an actual coating over the part & provide long-lasting lubrication. Nip down your local motor factors & see if they stock something similar.