View Full Version : CUSTOM TAILS MY WAY.

steveo1
09-16-2003, 08:51 PM
I don't know if everyone is feelin the tails in the post below but I liked them off of the silver widebody and decided to give it a shot. If you mess up it is all on you and not me or other people on the site.

All you will need is newspaper, masking tape, paint of choice, clear coat, a sharp blade, scissors, and a piece of cardboard.

1. Cover your whole rear with newspaper taped down of course.

2. Lay a full line of masking tape across the area you want the lights to be.

3. Cut the piece of cardboard to the shape you want with the scissors.

4. On the lines of masking tape you made, trace the outline of cardboard you cut on all places you want the lights to stand out.

5. Use the blade to cut those lines and peel away the extra but leave the pieces you just outlined.

6. Now that you are ready to paint, make sure that everything is covered with newspaper and tape because even if there is a breeze or not the paint mist will fly around and stick to the body.

7. Use paint as directed and use nice even coats. Every once in a while have a buddy push your brakes to see if the light goes through the paint on the untaped areas until you cannot see it go through.

8. Wait until it dries(10-15 min) and start applying the clear coat. You want at least 4 or 5 coats to appear as if it were "stock" paint.

9. Start peeling away the tape and newspaper before it dries so the paint doesn't peel away with the paper.

10. Turn your lights on and admire your work you did for 5 bucks.
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/441000-441999/441774_7.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/441000-441999/441774_21.jpg

BLsGalant97
09-18-2003, 07:10 PM
Just Wondering....wouldnt it be easier to remove the tails from the car first???

steveo1
09-18-2003, 07:33 PM
yeah your right, but if you did that you would have to use more time aligning them. if wanted to you could though, yeah.

queball
09-20-2003, 09:45 PM
wheres the pics? i want to see what you did and how it turned out..

steveo1
09-21-2003, 10:19 AM
go back a page, and look for the poll post (have to scroll down) click it and look for the pics. that's my car

queball
09-21-2003, 03:54 PM
go back a page, and look for the poll post (have to scroll down) click it and look for the pics. that's my car

Oh that must be the black one with the 6 slots on each light? Yea i saw that one last night.. but with my luck id get a ticket for doing something like that, the cops in Utah are ASSES! they'll give you a ticket for almost any thing..

Slut
10-03-2003, 10:15 PM
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/416000-416999/416054_6_full.jpg
What do you think of these?

VypA
10-04-2003, 08:42 AM
ok i have a ? about the niteshades and all for the tails.... can u take it off? or is it permanent... i like the way it looks on other cars, wanna try it on mine, but if i dont like it... am i just SOL?

steveo1
10-04-2003, 01:42 PM
looks good slut. I just used real paint with a lot of clear coat. try asking slut or peanotation for the nite-shades question vypA.

peanotation
10-04-2003, 02:09 PM
ok i have a ? about the niteshades and all for the tails.... can u take it off? or is it permanent... i like the way it looks on other cars, wanna try it on mine, but if i dont like it... am i just SOL?

yeah, its really permanent. its just like paint. i really want to clear coat mine, but you dont have to.

http://socallifestyle.com/finished/4.jpg

Galant-UNIT(sur_texas)
11-11-2003, 10:42 PM
15 min ago i saw an esclipse with supra taillights convertion man that shit

look hot and it hit me i am going to put taillights of a skyline r33 or r34

since the taillights are together i am going to slip them the big circle on

the outside and the small one in the inside on cover the left side that

doesn't have a light with fiber glass or aluminum or something

josh_877
01-19-2004, 02:20 PM
about that whole nite-shades thing, how many layers can i put on so u can still see the light go through?

how many layers did u put PEANO?

peanotation
04-24-2004, 04:23 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(josh_877)</div><div class='quotemain'>about that whole nite-shades thing, how many layers can i put on so u can still see the light go through?

how many layers did u put PEANO?</div>

about 5 semi thick layers. still see lights during the day fine, looks good at night. make sure you keep the coats even.