PDA

View Full Version : rough starts.

dza
09-17-2003, 10:47 AM
first, yes i have searched https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

I bought my car new and from the beginning idling in park was always semi-rough. Basically the car would shake. Perhaps that is normal and isn't even related to my problem. The problem is that lately, when I start the car in the morning (or after car is completely cold), it starts pretty rough. Kind of like its choking in and out of life. Everytime it has started but a couple times (today and yesterday) it nearly stalled out. Yesterday, I just thought that I didn't turn the key long enough. I barely turned it to get things going. I thought that maybe it just didn't get enough spark. It almost died but I gave it gas and it finally came back to life after a few seconds. Today, it did it again. But this time the car started fine. It let me put it in reverse and then it started to choke out. What could be the problem? She only has 23k miles on her.

99blkgalant
09-17-2003, 02:18 PM
my car is doing the same thing man i had to have a pcv valve replaced but mine has 54,000 miles on it man

dza
09-17-2003, 02:44 PM
ya know... i wonder if i just need to put mine on tighter. I recently put my stock intake back on.

Auto-9
09-17-2003, 05:23 PM
It sounds like your throttle body needs cleaning from the sounds of things, but I don't know about your shaking.

dza
09-18-2003, 09:42 AM
Cleaning after only 23k miles? About half of those miles have been highway miles but i guess that doesn't make a difference.

Elwenil
09-18-2003, 10:07 AM
It could be the throttle body, but like you said it's very low miles, and you normally wouldn't see something like that pop up until about 60k-80k. Since you were swapping intakes, recheck all your connections. It sound's like a vacuum leak to me, but from here it's hard to tell. :wink: It could also be a MAS problem, so check your connection there to. Has your checkengine/service engine soon light came on? You can sometimes track stuff down in a general way by whether or not that light is on. In most cases, the check/service engine light comes on when your car is running out of the parameters set by the government for emissions. so if the light is on, check stuff like your O2 sensor, MAS, etc. I might be wrong, but that's been my experience. Anyone else?
Later...

dza
09-18-2003, 10:34 AM
no SES light at all. i was talking with my buddy yesterday and i'm certain its a vacuum leak as well. perhaps i didn't put the pcv on tight enough or something like that.