PDA

View Full Version : Stock rims vs. Custom Rims

stephen7983
09-09-2002, 08:22 PM
Do custom rims like 18's feel much different on the road than regular stock rims? For example, would you feel more bumps and feel a hard ride because rims are bigger and tire is smaller than stock rims? Also, are you likely to get more flats with custom rims due to low profile tires?

pinoyesv6
09-09-2002, 08:28 PM
plus sized rims are gonna be harder to take care of than stock sized rims. they are also more expensive to maintain. but yea thats the price u got to pay to keep ur ride looking good.

you got big rims, gotta keep em looking clean
bigger rims are more suseptable to getting damaged. uhm as the profile of the tire decreases, so does that cushion of air u have. this means possibly more flats, damamged wheels etc etc.
you do get better handling though with some plus sized wheels and low profile tires
o yea bigger rims, low pro tires...that means more money too

BGR
09-09-2002, 08:35 PM
Speaking for my self, YES. The 18's were quite smooth and actually made the suspension (lowered with Progress springs) feel like new or more sportier. It is actually quite less bumpier than stock. But this is my ride. Other's may say different. If you don't lower the car, I would say that the 18's would ride just as comfortable as the stock.

When I first had it lowered with 16's, using the stock Goodyear tires, there was always a wobble from the front end when I accelerated. This was not the case with the 18's. I don't know if it was because the new wheels are 18's and are heavier or the new tires (Yokohama Parada Spec II) or what, all I know is that the car felt really good to drive.

The chances of you getting a flat with low profile tires are practically the same for any other tire. Example, nails, glass, curb or whatever that may puncture your tire. As for potholes, I've hit several potholes and never had a problem. But, the lower the profile of the tire, the more prone your wheel is to getting damaged because there is less cushion, to sort of contradict myself.

Once you get custom rims, you should always drive a little more safer to avoid damaging them; curbs, drive throughs, avoiding fresh ashpalt, etc.

Tiller
09-09-2002, 11:47 PM
mine rides just as nice as it did stock... i'm a little more paranoid though rolling on $3K worth of wheels and tires though... :roll:

stephen7983
09-10-2002, 05:47 PM
Thanks guys... that really helped a lot.. Now I know... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

GaLanT
09-10-2002, 05:59 PM
My ride is better with the 18's then it was stock. A lot quieter to.. don't know if it was just me though..

Supernova
09-10-2002, 06:01 PM
Do you have to do anything special when you got your 18's. Or just watch out for tire and rim sizes?

stephen7983
09-10-2002, 06:30 PM
Did you have to do anything special when you got your 18's. Or just watch out for tire and rim sizes?

Actually, I just wanted to know how the ride quality would be having 18's and also maintenance on them.. I'm just wondering if it's worth getting those 18's.

Supernova
09-10-2002, 06:49 PM
Did you have to do anything special when you got your 18's. Or just watch out for tire and rim sizes?

Actually, I just wanted to know how the ride quality would be having 18's and also maintenance on them.. I'm just wondering if it's worth getting those 18's.

Actually, I was talking to the people that had already gotten the 18's. :tongue:

Reelax
09-10-2002, 08:12 PM
i don't know if my ride is harsher bcuz of the wheels or bcuz of my springs... 18's look much better than stock but require lowering the car to keep away from that monster truck look. IMO, 18's are worth it. stock was too small for me.

Kingman
09-10-2002, 08:37 PM
Go with 18's.

jmezz911
09-20-2002, 09:23 AM
BGR, I have had the Eibach prokit for almost 2 years, still have stock GTZ rims and I have notice that I have that vibration when accelerating. Nobody has been able to figure out what it is.

I wonder if getting 17s or 18s will fix this like it did yours?

I just got my STB from Freedom Designs today.

2000 GTZ

Auto-9
09-20-2002, 10:54 AM
Actually I believe in one of my earlier topics we discussed the possibilities for the shaking...and Burthold seemed to have come up with a great answer.