PDA

View Full Version : Tool problem

Liszt
09-20-2003, 12:42 AM
Hey,

I jus bought a 60 dollar torque wrench from Home Depot. The thing is cool except is only seems to fit bigger sockets than I have. Is this a common problem with buying a torque wrench? I got one that's good from 1 to 250 lbs and the socket thing is like too big to fit my sockets. This sucks. Wanted to install my new rotors tomorrow.

Can I buy some kind of adapter?

L :?:

Liszt
09-20-2003, 07:20 AM
Well, technically this shouldn't be in this forum but I got a 1/2 drive instead of the normal 3/8 drive. The 1/2 ones seem to have higher torque capabilities plus I wanted to use it also as a nut breaker to unseat my bolts. Anyway with that adapter the profile will be too high off of the bolt so I'm going to prob. return it because I don't need rediculously high amounts of torque like 200+ ft/lbs. Our brakes (8G us) require 28 ft/lbs for the guide and lock pins and 66-81 per manual for the caliper/hub bracket. FYI.

L

pinoyesv6
09-21-2003, 06:51 PM
yea, go back to home depot or wherever you buy your tools. they should have a adaptor that converts from 1/2" to 3/8"

o yea, don't use the torque wrench as a breaker bar. eventually the thing won't give out good readings.

Liszt
09-21-2003, 07:42 PM
yeah, went back to home depot and got a 4 dollar 1/2 to 3/8 adapter. Thing is my fucking lock pin and one hub bolt are really stripped and need to be taken off and replaced. So, I'm prob. going to just by a vise wrench to pri them off. Don't know if this will work so if there's any other non destructive way that's better for taking off a bolt whose heads stripped please tell me.

Plus, the hawk pads I got from ptuning are the rear's and not the fronts like I need (only doing front rotors)