PDA

View Full Version : what muffler is the best?

celldweller
09-21-2003, 02:36 PM
[size=18]<span style='color:darkred'>im looking for some new sound for my 8g and i don't want just any sound i want the best sound deep, and not ricey

but i also don't want a weld on muffler i want to beable to interchange it with another one and don't want all the hassle of cutting the welds.

Another point i am using the existing exhaust pipe i don't want cat-back info i just want the muffler!</span>

galantv600
09-21-2003, 02:54 PM
i thought all mufflers needed welding to the exhaust? :?

seth98esT
09-21-2003, 03:08 PM
some bolt on, but most need to be welded. in my opinion welding is best b/c it prevents theft to a certain extent and seals it nicely

as to which muffler is the best...there is no single muffler that is the best. they all do about the same thing. just sound quality. let me just say this:

"You get what you pay for"

galantv600
09-21-2003, 03:52 PM
nice comment seth!! exelente!!!

galantv600
09-21-2003, 03:52 PM
nice comment seth!! exelente!!!

peanotation
09-21-2003, 03:55 PM
some bolt on, but most need to be welded. in my opinion welding is best b/c it prevents theft to a certain extent and seals it nicely
"You get what you pay for"

prevents theft? damn, i never heard of my friend's getting their muffler's stolen. but the seal is a lot nicer. and you get what you pay for, most of hte time. my muffler was 80 on ebay and 80 to get welded on, i have yet to hear a nicer muffler on a car, and everyone else thinks so (mind you i said muffler not exhaust)

galantv600
09-21-2003, 04:03 PM
i got my bomb mufflers for cheap of ebay.. but they are HKS's.. they are a really nice a low tone

pinoyesv6
09-21-2003, 06:41 PM
an axle back exhaust will be able to bolt and unbolt on. but yea u still need to get piping made no matter what since the stock muffler will more than likely be longer than the aftermarket type.

welding a muffler on will be the best way to go. it looks nicest, it holds the nicest, and will last the longest. you can clamp a muffler on or drill some holes and bolt that bad boy on but it isn't the best way to go.

welding a new muffler after you already have an aftermarket one will be fairly cheap. about 30 dollars to weld a new aftermarketone after having an aftermarket one. unless you plan on replacing piping or get one thats a different size.

but yea 30 dollars is that alot to pay? i mean mufflers can range from maybe 20 dollars to like in the thousands. would you want to risk lests say a clmap failiing and losing your maybe expensive muffler because you were cheap or something??

SilverKnight
09-22-2003, 06:14 AM
i got an OBX tye R and i just love the low tone it gives out. but i do have a V6 so it might sound ricey comming out of a i4. also it had to be welded on.

BTW why would you want to be changing your muffler every so often?

VIO
09-22-2003, 08:49 AM
here is a post i left in another thread about mufflers. we were speaking of flowmssters when i left my reply but this holds true to every muffler with a resonation chamber. this does not apply to canister mufflers.

"the only flowmaster that's designed for small displacement engine is the "series 60" which is designed not to have a fart tube sound when placed on a i4 or v6. if you take a "series 40" or any of the other race inspired mufflers or the mufflers that were designed for a v8 you'll end up with a ricey sounding muffler with a good amount of pops. flow master mufflers are resonated mufflers, which is what gives them the "flowmaster" sound. each series muffler has a resonation chamber that is tuned for a specific application. the resonation chamber reflects sound waves that are "out of phase" with the sound waves coming from the engine through the exhaust pipe. it's like hooking one speak of a stereo correctly and then hooking up the other speaker backwards. the out of phase sound waves cancel each other out. if you use a "series 70" muffler which was designed with a resonation chamber for a v8 on a i4 or v6 then the resonation chamber is not tuned to the correct sound frequency which the small engines produce. a large displacement engine produces it's loudest sound at a lower frequency then a small displacement engine, thus the muffler for the v8 engines has a resonation chamber that's tuned to cancel out lower frequency sound then one designed for an i4 or v6. thus the net effect is this, you put the v8 tuned muffler on your i4 or v6 and it cancels the low frequencies but let's the high frequencies pass though hence you sound like a high pitched ricer. the "series 60" has a resonance chamber that's tuned to reduce the higher pitched frequencies hence the low end sound waves pass through and you have an engine that sounds deep not rice at all. that why you really need to get a muffler that is designed for either a large displacement or a small displacement engine. " <-- depending upon what size engine you have.

My99GTZ
09-22-2003, 12:07 PM
I love my bosal prosport, nice deep low tone and not to loud, really sounds great on our cars... and like everyone else said I'm not sure how it would sound on an I4 I have a v6 and it sounds so nice....

Jeff
09-22-2003, 12:19 PM
My AC Revolution has done me right since the day I put it on. I've posted several times on it in the past and the same still applies today. Deep, mellow pur at idle. Aggressive growl at 3k, and an awesome roar at WOT. Put it this way, it's deep enough to vibrate my rear view mirror at 2k and up. Granted, it doesn't sound like a muscle car, but what do expect from a 4cyl. family sedan?