PDA

View Full Version : basic brake questions

X2T
09-21-2003, 03:00 PM
All of these questions are pertaining to 2wd:

Do 6g Galants use captive rotors?
Was there an option for rear disc brakes?
Any info on drum to disc conversion?

I did use the search first and didn't really come up with anything.

Thanks in advance.

Rasko Da Gama
09-21-2003, 05:26 PM
All of these questions are pertaining to 2wd:

Do 6g Galants use captive rotors?
Was there an option for rear disc brakes?
Any info on drum to disc conversion?

I did use the search first and didn't really come up with anything.

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to the board :wink:

Sorry dont know what means captive. I have AWD SOHC amd have brake rotors on all four wheels.
So rear disc braeaks were an option - to swap it it shouldnt be a big work i think

Cheers and good luck https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

X2T
09-21-2003, 06:40 PM
Captive rotors meaning that the rotors are actually bolted to the hub/spindle. This makes doing a complete brake job or changing rotors an expensive pain in the ass because it is necessary to use a press to get the rotors on/off the hub. Also, special tools or $hop $ervice is needed to set the bearing preload during reassembly. Usually the old bearings get damaged while pulling the whole thing apart too.

If you can pull your rotor off after just moving the caliper out of the way, then they are non-captive. Brake maintenance is then a much easier DIY job.

I drive a 91 Hyundai Excel(actually built by Mitsubishi) that has this captive setup. I have been exploring the possibilties of swapping out the whole hub/spindle/rotor/caliper assembly to make life easier and give me some more performance options.

I first looked into all the early Mitsu-based Hyundais(Elantra,Sonata) as donors but they are captive too. I was about to give up and then I remembered the Galant.

I also think Galant rear drum brakes from early 2wd are similar to my Excel. If there are rear discs available and it's a straight forward conversion, maybe I can adapt them to my car as well.

Are AWD Galants also 4x114.3? I was thinking they were 5 lug like Eclipse/Talon/Laser...

Thanks again!

J apmetal
09-22-2003, 02:51 PM
Judging from the above description, My 1990 AWD does not have captive rotors since they came off after moving the caliper out of the way. There may have been a small securing screw, to stop them falling off when you take off your wheel, but I dont really remember.

Rasko Da Gama
09-22-2003, 07:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(X2T)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Are AWD Galants also 4x114.3? I was thinking they were 5 lug like Eclipse/Talon/Laser...
Thanks again!</div>

Yes, that's right, they are 4x114.3 :wink: